NSV - Deep Fried Cheeseburger

Options
fretless1965
fretless1965 Posts: 26 Member
After the last two years of learning to eat healthier, I decided a little test was in order.

I was at a county fair last weekend. For the first time in a long time, I decided to eat something really unhealthy to see what I thought of it. I went to a burger stand and ordered a plain cheeseburger. I took the burger over to the corn dog stand, had the lady there dip it in corn dog batter (the whole burger, bun and all) and deep fry it.

Then I ate it.

I won't lie, it tasted good. But this is the NSV: It wasn't THAT good. I certainly didn't think it tasted better than steamed vegetables and hummus. It wasn't better than fresh fruit. Given the opportunity, I won't order it again.

I used to eat stuff that unhealthy all the time when I was 55 pounds heavier. I used to look forward to pizza night; now I look forward to chicken breast.

The great irony for me is that I still get to eat everything I love; it's just that the food I love has changed.

Replies

• TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Nice test...I did something like that a year ago with fast food; it definitely removed both the craving and nostalgia.

A great NSV.

8488541.png
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Now I want to try that!
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've not eaten McDonalds for over a year and a half now. I never ate them much before, but after a long time of healthy eating, i gave it a go cause I needed something quick on the go...OMG!!! The cramps!!! The stomach cramps sooo bad they were the sort which left you bed-ridden! I swore never again to eat a McDonalds! and so far have stuck to that.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Isn't it wonderful how your body adjusts to healthier foods when you give it a chance? There are a few high--calorie, high-fat treats I still enjoy on rare occasions, but now I'm very picky. Most of it just isn't worth the calories and I'd rather have a fresh sliced tomato this time of year, sprinkled with a little salt.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I would say that this NSV I experience as well. I would much rather have some baked fish or chicken breast now than a greasy taco... and I really can't believe I haven't had a tortilla since December 2011.

The occasional celebratory piece of cake has to be extra special fresh baked these days. And I would rather have that bowl of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries any day.

Thanks for posting!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Dude, it's like tempting fate. Just be careful.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    I've not eaten McDonalds for over a year and a half now. I never ate them much before, but after a long time of healthy eating, i gave it a go cause I needed something quick on the go...OMG!!! The cramps!!! The stomach cramps sooo bad they were the sort which left you bed-ridden! I swore never again to eat a McDonalds! and so far have stuck to that.

So true. I do still go to fast food sometimes when in a bunch, but taco bell, taco johns, and mcdonalds are the worst. It's called mystery meat for a reason, and I don't trust their ways of cooking chicken either.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    That sounds interesting. So you can just take whatever food to the corn dog stand and they'll deep fry it for you? I may need to go to the fair this year.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Isn't it wonderful how your body adjusts to healthier foods when you give it a chance? There are a few high--calorie, high-fat treats I still enjoy on rare occasions, but now I'm very picky. Most of it just isn't worth the calories and I'd rather have a fresh sliced tomato this time of year, sprinkled with a little salt.

+1
    I did notice how my taste had changed, and that in order to go out, I tend to pick more expensive places now. Fast-food is a no-no for me. I did eat Subway for longer, but even that started tasting always the same. I'd rather save up and pay more for a better meal.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    That sounds interesting. So you can just take whatever food to the corn dog stand and they'll deep fry it for you? I may need to go to the fair this year.

:laugh: So true though - I had no idea that was a thing.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Good on you! I am 7 months in and still crave the bad foods I've always loved (chips and dip, nachos, pizza, oh my), I'm waiting for the day when that disappears but I don't think I'll ever choose veggies and baked chicken over pizza (taste-wise).
  • fretless1965
    fretless1965 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good on you! I am 7 months in and still crave the bad foods I've always loved (chips and dip, nachos, pizza, oh my), I'm waiting for the day when that disappears but I don't think I'll ever choose veggies and baked chicken over pizza (taste-wise).

To be honest, that kind of food tastes just as good as ever to me. What bothers me now is the texture of that kind of food. Whereas before I would order a pepperoni, double sausage and jalapeño pizza (and our local pizzeria grinds and spices there own sausage; EPIC), now I can only enjoy the jalapeño. The meat tastes awesome, but it's just too greasy.

Perhaps I could get them to batter and deep fry a pizza...

J/k
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Mmm deep fried burger with bacon
    homer2.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!