Beat my FIRST plateau!

Options
SAH1906
SAH1906 Posts: 60 Member
I've been doing a lot of forum reading since I've been on MFP. I realized my first plateau was going to come and I needed a plan. I figured I couldn't continue to lose 4 lbs a week forever,

I learned that as exercise became a normal thing, my body would require more calories to operate than it had previously when I was a sloth. I also learned that I needed to vary my exercise as to keep my body tricked into not "getting used to it." So I go to ( Round, I run/walk and do some insanity.

My plan was to first try adding an additional 200 calories per day for a week and observe results. If that didn't work add another 200 cal per day per week and try again. If that didn't work, I'd add weights into the mix. And if all else failed, purchase a food scale to be more precise w what I was putting into my system. (I tell you, as an engineer, I was quite ticked at myself for not looking at weight loss as a simple material balance. Freshman year stuff I'd ignored my entire 19 years of adulthood)

So it finally happened at my weekly weigh in last Friday. I had dropped 41 pounds in just 10 weeks and all of a sudden I was looking at the same weight from the last weigh in. After my initial chin drop, I checked out my plan, looked at my average calories and decided to add 200 each day on average. Two days ago I did an early check and, YES, I'm down another two pounds!

I just wanted to say a public thank you to GOD, MFP and the people on here. I read the forums EVERY DAY... ESPECIALLY Success Stories. It keeps me motivated. I know where I can be as long as I keep praying, eating right and exercising. IN - OUT

I will make it to ONE-derland. Only 73 pounds left!

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Wow you're doing awesome!! Great dedication!
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It is cool that you had a plan prepared for your plateau.

I did not and got pretty downhearted when the weight stopped coming off.

I am just sticking to my normal plan though and will hopefully see a difference soon.

What is frustrating is that my weight loss always seems to slow right down as I approach a milestone - e.g. one stone lost (took ages to lose the last pound) and currently getting below 16 stone.
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    You used the acronyms GOD and MFP. I know what MFP is, duh, but what is GOD?
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss so far.

A plateau is generally defined as a static weight over a period of several weeks, usually a month to six weeks. So every time you stall for a week, I wouldn't necessarily add 200 calories, unless your increased exercise calls for that. Weight loss isn't linear, and there will be times when you need to stay the course over a period of time - especially when you get closer to your goal.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Woot! Good job!!!
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I think he is actually referring to God.
  • chubaway
    Options

That's not a familiar term to me. Sorry.
  • jurgie18
    jurgie18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Keep it up!
  • chubaway
    Options

I just Googled god. I get now. He's thanking MFP, and god, a fictitious character. That seems weird.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Great job and great attitude.

(Just ignore the troll, they live everywhere in the forums, one is bound to wander into any thread.)
  • ijohn001
    ijohn001 Posts: 166
    Options
    Bro... your message post here is like a fresh breath from Heaven!!!

Thank you, sir for taking the time to post this here. God bless! :happy:
  • ijohn001
    Options

I just Googled god. I get now. He's thanking MFP, and god, a fictitious character. That seems weird.

God cannot be understood by googling... just sayin'.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    thats awesome! great job!

and yes, ignore that troll... its probably used to being ignored...
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I remember when I hit my plateau. Losing an average of 2 pounds a week for a weight loss contest and continued loss was key if I wanted to win. 6 weeks in I got on the scale and they hadn't moved. I had no plan. But reading this forum time and time again gave me the knowledge that I needed to change something. I started reading about macros an and knew that my protein intake was low so I changed my diet and added protein shakes in when I had the calories to spare. Low and behold the next week I was down 3 pounds. Glad that happened because now I need the protein as I started using weights now and I need that protein. I lost 20 pounds with diet and cardio and an additional 3 pounds (and one pant size) with weight training. I love MFP. I recommend it to everyone who wants to lose weight and inches!!!
  • ijohn001
    Options
    I remember when I hit my plateau. Losing an average of 2 pounds a week for a weight loss contest and continued loss was key if I wanted to win. 6 weeks in I got on the scale and they hadn't moved. I had no plan. But reading this forum time and time again gave me the knowledge that I needed to change something. I started reading about macros an and knew that my protein intake was low so I changed my diet and added protein shakes in when I had the calories to spare. Low and behold the next week I was down 3 pounds. Glad that happened because now I need the protein as I started using weights now and I need that protein. I lost 20 pounds with diet and cardio and an additional 3 pounds (and one pant size) with weight training. I love MFP. I recommend it to everyone who wants to lose weight and inches!!!

Awesome story.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What a great read! Good for you....you are headed in a great direction!
  • kittykat1188
    Options
    Thank you for posting this...i started to think i was the only person who had just kinds stopped! Lost just shy of 40lb now but need to lose another 20 really and finding it really hard to motivate myself!
    I'll get there though, I have a picture on the fridge that i find horrifying to look at so that should motivate me to not go back to that place!

Making a plan for the plateau is a really good idea and something i am going to look at! x
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That's phenomenal success. congrats!!
  • elizabethdrane
    elizabethdrane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    GOD is not an acronym, it is a higher power :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!