The Ariel Castro case...1000 years??

Options
was just watching the sentencing on cnn.. i dont think any amount of years they give him will take away the pain of what those poor girls suffered.. im not big on the death penalty but i think 1 or 2 years and off with his head!! Ugh!!!!

Replies

• xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    No sentence would suffice that crazy!
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    and then when hes in prison theyre probably going to segregate him from the general population...wheres the justice/punishment in that?!!!~
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Anything short of a death penalty is mercy for this piece of crap. A sentence of 1000 years is symbolic because he's not going to survive it, it's just a ridiculous number designed to make everybody feels better.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    and then when hes in prison theyre probably going to segregate him from the general population...wheres the justice/punishment in that?!!!~
    Yeah, justice would be to put him in the same cell with Bubba, where he would be 'loved' every day for the rest of his life.
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    AGREED!! I wish our justice system allowed victims of violent/sexual crimes to pick the punishment for their abusers :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Death ...in a Chinese torture chamber
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    So basically for the rest of his miserable life we have to pay for his food and health care? This sounds horrible, but things like this make me wish we had back alley executions. Just put a bullet in the back of his head and be done with it.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yeah, justice would be to put him in the same cell with Bubba, where he would be 'loved' every day for the rest of his life.

life w/Bubba - that'd do just fine....
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    OK, the man was vile and evil, and nothing will undo what he has done. You are all quite rightly angry with everything you say. So what would you do in the judges position. It's a serious question, so sensible answers would be welcomed from a Brit who gets frustrated with the meddling of the European Human Rights Court - a court that would certainly overturn the 1000 years (they have done that in a similar situation where the UK court 'took away any hope of parole' and 'infringed his human rights'.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's also so he will never be paroled.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I despise this sick monster but at the end of the day we are better than him. No punishment whatsoever will take away the pain and misery he inflicted upon his victims.

I do know that it would cost us taxpayers more to get this guy run through death row then it would for use to house him for 40 years.

I don't have all the answers and I agree with the sentiment behind what you are all saying.

I just don't like the idea of the government having the right to execute humans. Any power given to a government body is power that we are giving to other humans. They don't change in to something else when they become government officials. If we instituted the back alley executions mentioned above then over time leadership would change and that power would start getting abused.

Like so many other government power we already see abused today. All a person would have to do is claim that a person was guilty of some sort of crime that will stimulate an emotion response from people and they could justify killing anyone.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I despise this sick monster but at the end of the day we are better than him. No punishment whatsoever will take away the pain and misery he inflicted upon his victims.

I do know that it would cost us taxpayers more to get this guy run through death row then it would for use to house him for 40 years.

I don't have all the answers and I agree with the sentiment behind what you are all saying.

I just don't like the idea of the government having the right to execute humans. Any power given to a government body is power that we are giving to other humans. They don't change in to something else when they become government officials. If we instituted the back alley executions mentioned above then over time leadership would change and that power would start getting abused.

Like so many other government power we already see abused today. All a person would have to do is claim that a person was guilty of some sort of crime that will stimulate an emotion response from people and they could justify killing anyone.

Very well said.

Agreed.
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That whole story made me sick to my stomach.
  • Sarah_Slimdown
    Options
    Not even speaking politically about the merits of the death penalty-- there are experiences worse than death. Death may be more painless than an utterly miserable life in prison- after all, people commit suicide for the very reason that they would prefer death to a painful life. Misery in prison may be less merciful than an abrupt end.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The reason they pile on the years in cases like this is so that if any part of his conviction is overturned on appeal at some point in the future, he will still have all the other years left to serve.

It also serves the purpose of being symbolic for the victims of his heinous crimes. But that's not the reason for the sentencing structure. It's just based on the law.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I believe they call that 'hard time.'
    No sentence would suffice that crazy!

He's not crazy, he's evil.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If they will not sentence him to death, lock him up with a rope. Things will eventually sort themselves out.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Im a firm believer in the death penalty. He should be killed. And not in a humane manner but that's just me :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    the death penalty would be the easy way out for him. let him rote in prison rember jeffery dahmer they couldn't protect him in prison
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Being a taxpayer and having worked in the criminal justice system for many years, I will tell you that the death penalty needs to be outlawed, for financial reasons if no other. The cost of housing these folks on death row as well as all of the automatic appeals is astronomical compared to regular prison committments.

I also have an issue with all the cases recently overturned due to DNA evidence exonerating people on death row. I'm not talking about a criminal walking away from prison due to a legal technicality. I'm talking there was DNA available and it didn't belong to the person convicted. How many died wrongly before the DNA testing was available????

I also wonder about the folks who perform these executions. That's got to mess with your head that you are taking someone's life. Even if they are a disgusting, vile human being. I wonder how many of them suffer from PTSD as a result...