Whats normal?

Options
This is the longest I've ever stuck to a diet, about 5 weeks. While I've don't have tons of weight to lose, who doesn't need to eat healthier? I'm mainly just being more conscience of what goes in my mouth, while still trying to keep -500 calories. Im also breastfeeding, so I'm not doing anything drastic, just making healthier choices. That being said:

Should I be feeling STARVED or should I be just hungry side of satisfied?

Cause most days I still feel hungry, some days starved.....

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell what your diet is like without seeing your diary. If you're left feeling hungry, it's very possible you're not eating enough protein or fat, or both. Protein and fat are both very satiating so I would suggest increasing consumption of those two macronutrients.
  • mrstobin
    mrstobin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I Im eating my quota of protein and fiber most days, those are the two things Im really conscious of. Im watching my fats. Lots of milk, grilled chicken, fruits, cheerios,
  • mrstobin
    Options
    you should be able to see my diary now
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Woah, your protein goal is ridiculously low, should be closer to double that, your fat goal is a little low too, and your fiber goal is low. Shoot for a minimum of 25g of fiber a day.
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It looks like all your goals are crazy low. When I've been breastfeeding, I remember well feeling starved. I would suggest always eating AT LEAST 1200 calories. And if you're nursing exclusively add more on top of that. I wouldn't get too crazy with exercise just yet, but would think that 14000-1500 would be where you'd like to be.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If I can be blunt here. If your goal is to eat healthier as you said, I see only processed foods in your diary. No whole foods, fruits OR veggies. If your sole goal is to have lower calories then that is one thing. With you feeding another human being it's especialy important to get your nutrients in, and refined and processed foods won't do that for you.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but from my experience the more protein I eat the less hungry I feel. Your protein is really low. I started off with at least getting 30g per meal, so my minimum was 90g a day. I try for a lot more than that though.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be starving or even hungry in my opinion. Something must be off - either you're not eating enough or you're not eating the right balance of foods. Make sure your weekly weight loss goal is no higher than 1 pound per week. More than that is not realistic for the amount of weight you have to lose. I would also custom set your carb/protein/fat percentages to 40/30/30. This will give you a higher amount of protein and fat to help keep you full. Try to keep your carbs more "whole" like fresh fruits, veg, and whole grains like steel cut oats and 100% whole wheat bread.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I breast fed, I could have a giant meal and then 2 hours later be absolutely starving. I just went with it and didn't gain during BFing, It was after I stopped that I started gaining. You need to eat something if your hungry and if your not getting the right stuff or enough stuff, your milk production will suffer. Follow your hunger but make sure your keeping things healthy and balanced. An ounce of breastmilk is about 20 calories, and that is coming all from you, babies on average eat 25-30 ounces/day, so that 500-600 calories and nutrients being taken from you. I used to enter breastfeeding in as a food and it would subtract the calories and macros for me so I would know how much extra protein, fats and carbs I needed as a miniumu.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be hungry after 5 weeks, maybe the first week or so. If you're feeling hungry all the time something is wrong. Plus, if you're breastfeeding that's a couple hundred extra calories you need to have on top of your regular numbers.

ETA: After a cursory review of your diary I confirmed my suspicions that you're not eating enough.
  • mrstobin
    Options
    I eat when im hungry, eat until im satisfied, its at the end of the day I feel hungry. I did the presets on my parameters. I was not hungry the first week or two, it seems the longer I do this, the hungrier I am. Maybe Im not eating enough. I truly do eat until Im satisfied, Im not a big meal eater
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No wonder your hungry! Your eating nowhere near enough, if your exclusively breastfeeding.you.should be adding around 200-300 cals per day, like others said up your protein, eat eggs or chicken, snack on nuts etc and up your cals to around 1500
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Also.of.you struggle with volume of food eat more calorie dense stuff like cheese, nuts, peanut.butter etc
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not eating enough. You should be eating at least 1200 calories every day. And this is a minimum. I wouldn't recommend trying for that number. I would go for a bit more. 1400-1500 should be a good goal, I think. If you're a very active person, you might wanna make it even higher. And that's -with- breastfeeding calories subtracted, you should be getting that many calories. (So, overall, one day, maybe something like 2000 calories total intake.)
  • mrstobin
    Options
    I think I've been reading my counter wrong. I assumed I needed to be -500 on my 1380 calories for the day. That is already subtracting my 500? So my body needs 1800-ish calories, so myfitnesspal is already subtracting my 500, so I need 1380. Right? So I've been eating -1000 cals/a day? No wonder Im starved! Ok, I think I figured this out now
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP builds in the deficit based on how much you want to lose per week and your current weight. You should definitely be eating all the calories it tells you to! Especially if you're breastfeeding. I'm surprised you're not so absolutely exhausted that you can't get out bed.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd probably do...

-eat ALL the budgeted calories
    -consider protein to be a minimum goal, just like...
    -calcium, which I would be tracking instead of sugar
    -tracking a few other micros might be an eye opener too

I would be surprised if breastfeeding didn't change your calcium goal on here as well as fat, protein, etc. Consider yourself to effectively be eating under 1200 right now with all the nutritional ramifications thereof because much of that is going out in the breast milk.
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    You're not eating anywhere near enough, especially if you're bf. Don't know what your stats are but I'm 5'3, 38, and 134lbs and bf my 21 mth old, and my daily average is 1600 calories after I've taken off 200 for feeding.
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most of what everyone has replied with. You are not eating enough. I am surprised you havnt passed out from hunger.