nsv... marlboro ultra lights in a box

Options
i have been bff's with marlboro ultra lights in a box off & on for 16 years, not that "ultra lights" actually mean anything in relation to being less tar & other stuff, that's just how i have asked for them for years, by name, like a friend. we have gotten fat together, skinny fat together & fat together again. they have seen me through a divorce, remarriage, deaths of family members, stressful days, & sleepless nights. we broke up during pregnancies & when the kids were babies/toddlers but i always loved & missed them...to a non smoker that sounds crazy i'm sure but i really like the taste, smell etc....

1 month of mfp, down 10 #'s but i noticed i couldnt do as much as my body could really handle because...I COULDNT FREAKING BREATHE!! i guess i have gotten used to not breathing well & it was "normal"

today is day 6 of not smoking. no pills, no patch, just me & my old bff parting ways. jogged 1.5 miles & no hacking. stains on my fingers are gone too. think im going to bury the last cigarette hanging out in the box at the bottom of my purse, she looks pretty sad & pathetic in there, time to set her free :)

Replies

• Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! It's hard but worth it! Before I had my kids my harmful bff was Newport 100's in a box. I don't miss it!!!
  • ednaroberts1978
    ednaroberts1978 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting rid of this addiction. In 7 more days I'll be 1 year smoke free. My drug of choice were the cowboy killers (Marlboro Reds). It's not easy but it can be done. I had a lot of help with an online smoking cessation forum on About.com. It provides a lot of information about quitting, and nicotine addiction as well as giving you a place to vent/chat with other people who are in the same stage of quitting as you are. I don't know how many you smoked or for how long, but I was a pack a day smoker for 17 years. It's definitely nice to breathe easier. Good Luck!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Once you have gone a long while without smoking, you will then understand what all the fuss over the smell and taste is. After I quit, years ago I was craving one of my old friends (probably after one too many to drink), I smoked it but it sure didn't taste the same and it gave me a terrible hangover....crazy to think that's what I used to crave first thing in the morning. Sounds like you made the decision to quit on your own when you were ready, like me, so you should be able to stick with it. Good Luck, and buy lots of gum for after meals!
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! August 21st marks 4 years for me. I still have cravings, but I refuse to start again!
  • lavi73
    lavi73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WTG! It's tough, but stay stong. you CAN do it! one day at a time. :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I quit smoking about 11 years ago but I still every now and then crave one (although it's definitely manageable and it goes away quickly). You will start to get your breath back soon and notice a big difference!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Good for you and I love your positive attitude, that is the #1 most important thing when quitting I think. Congrats!!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    It will be 15 years in December since I've quit smoking. I agree there are still time that I crave one, but it goes away just as quickly as it comes on.

YOU WITH THANK YOURSELF LATER!! I PROMISE! Keep it up, you can do it!!
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great job! It is so tough... I quit cold turkey 213 days ago... I HIGHLY recommend the Cessation Nation smart phone app. It REALLY helped me through the first few weeks. You will be so happy that you quit!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I quit (completely...after years of on and off) 3 years ago and never looked back. It's such a relief!

Stick with it, be strong! You are worth it! Rock star...
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My cancer stick of choice was Newport Shorts in a box. ;) That was before I had my oldest daughter. Never really was "addicted" I supposed. I gave it up as quickly as I started. I believe it's harder for a person with an addictive personality to let smoking and even alcohol go. My husband drinks and smokes...he's trying to quit both at the same time. Lord, help me!!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    YAY! have fun breathing easier! =P (from somebody who has smoked and been around people who smoke all my life) ^^)b
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good job! You can do it! I think giving up smoking is so much harder than weight loss because you dont have to completely give up food. But every day is progress! Keep up the good work!
  • Charbble
    Options
    So proud of you!!!! Your strength and discipline are such an inspiration. Keep up the good work, stay focused. I'm praying for you and your success.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud!!! Way to go :flowerforyou:
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    July 1 was 2 years for me!! Marlboro Lights in a Box for me! I gave it to God, and quit cold turkey. IT WAS HARD! But 150% worth it! I loved my cigs but was always ashamed of being a smoker. Afraid I smelled like a smoker. Afraid my breath was horrible. But I loved them!!! I too have cravings now and then...and sometimes get a whiff of smoke and think oh that smells good...even now. But you can be successful!!! Keep at it!!!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,919 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I smoked the same brand and am in my 7th week smoke-free after a 30+ year habit). I have quit dozens of times for a few days up to a month, but feel like maybe this time it is going to stick because I am really working on all around healthy and as you said there is no way to get a really good workout when you can't breathe.

I am now totally addicted to nicorette lozenges though. :)
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Newport Kings and I had a relationship for 31 years. We've been broken up since 7/15/13. I had a craptastic day yesterday and barely thought of them. Progress n' all that.

ETA: Fully nicotine free as well. Did some patches during the first week and a half, but I'm "clean" now.
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 7 years. Not easy, so I applaud you. :drinker:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i hope you stay quit! i've dipped but never smoked and been breathing second hand smoke all of my life. i love seeing people like you who help cut down the second hand smoke to everyone else
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!