91 Kg but I still look overweight!

Options
I'm 91 Kg or 201 Lbs and 6ft 4' but I still have a bit of a belly and I'm confused because there are so many people I see on youtube who are the same weight practically who look in much better shape! Is it just because I mainly do cardio and no weights? I think it might be that, should I do weight training in order to get rid of what's left?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If you loose weight but have little muscle mass then you are still going to have little muscle mass when the weight is gone.

You are working your way to being "skinny fat" by skipping the weights and just doing cardio.

Go and look up what pro marathoners look like. They skip the heavy weights as well.

Now go check out a pro football players or say a cross-fit pro's build. They do not skip the weight room and also do cardio.

Now go check out a powerlifter's build. They lift like crazy with very low cardio.

To each their own goals with what makes them happy but I hope you see my extreme example here.

BTW, if you have never lifted before then you have an awesome opportunity here. Those new to weight training make amazing progress in their first year.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    HIt the weights and hit them hard. Lifting heavy is your friend. Checkout Starting Strength or Stronglifts
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you loose weight but have little muscle mass then you are still going to have little muscle mass when the weight is gone.

You are working your way to being "skinny fat" by skipping the weights and just doing cardio.

Go and look up what pro marathoners look like. They skip the heavy weights as well.

Now go check out a pro football players or say a cross-fit pro's build. They do not skip the weight room and also do cardio.

Now go check out a powerlifter's build. They lift like crazy with very low cardio.

To each their own goals with what makes them happy but I hope you see my extreme example here.

BTW, if you have never lifted before then you have an awesome opportunity here. Those new to weight training make amazing progress in their first year.

I had a thought that it was most likely a lack of muscle mass. I've started arm lifts with dumbells and a week and a half in I can already tell I'm making muscle gains so god knows how good it'll be in a months time! I'm building my arms so I can get into pressups because I think they're my best idea for an overall toned looking body but I can't lift my own weight at the moment because of 'skinny fat' syndrome I guess :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is it just because I mainly do cardio and no weights?

CORRECT!

get lifting and eating!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I had a thought that it was most likely a lack of muscle mass. I've started arm lifts with dumbells and a week and a half in I can already tell I'm making muscle gains so god knows how good it'll be in a months time! I'm building my arms so I can get into pressups because I think they're my best idea for an overall toned looking body but I can't lift my own weight at the moment because of 'skinny fat' syndrome I guess :(

make sure you dont just focus on arms/shoulders, us women like a nice bum as well....!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, you should really be looking for a full body routine just starting out. Something that includes compound movements(work more than one muscle per lift) for example squats, bench press, deadlifts, military press, pull-ups.

There are a ton of routines out there to follow but the most famous one as someone already said is called "starting strength." If you do the full bodies ones starting out then you will have so much more bang for your time spent doing them. There's nothing worse than putting all your time in working say arms only to have great arms and the rest of your body look like flabby mess with no muscle. A compound lifting routine for begginers will make sure muscle mass around every group of your body is growing and avoid lagging body parts. Once you get a good base then you can switch it up to a split if you want to put more focus on your arms. You will see a world of difference if you do it the right way and keep your body balanced.

Oh, and as another poster said, the females do like more than just arms and shoulders. But screw lifting for females. Lift for yourself.
  • julianpoutram
    Options

make sure you dont just focus on arms/shoulders, us women like a nice bum as well....!

This made me chuckle, I'm a cyclist anyway so that should help get to the bottom of that. Pun intended and poorly executed (Y)

And thanks Elliot, I will look into this definitely. I only have a tiny bit of a belly to be honest but it's never gotten to be flat which is frustrating. Weights is the way forward I reckon definitely!
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm 91 Kg or 201 Lbs and 6ft 4' but I still have a bit of a belly and I'm confused because there are so many people I see on youtube who are the same weight practically who look in much better shape! Is it just because I mainly do cardio and no weights? I think it might be that, should I do weight training in order to get rid of what's left?

Body composition! Lifting weights will lean muscle mass and tighten you up as well as add definition. I weigh more than I did in high school be 25 pounds and I am wearing the same size clothes. Get to lifting some weights!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Agree with the rest, of course, add in weights. Just wanted to add that unless you really like that lopsided big chest skinny leg look... work all of your body!
  • julianpoutram
    Options
    Agree with the rest, of course, add in weights. Just wanted to add that unless you really like that lopsided big chest skinny leg look... work all of your body!

No no no! It's just so that I can get into pushups because my arms are not strong enough to do even one!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    plank! my husband at 6'4" and 228 has a great stomach, arms and back- he planks
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    plank! my husband at 6'4" and 228 has a great stomach, arms and back- he planks
    ^^^THIS^^^ exactly! Planks will help tone up your core and really is an awesome exercise.