Drinking my calories...

Options
aim1127
aim1127 Posts: 15 Member
Ok, I've heard people say to never drink your calories. Well, I love my vodka+crystal light cocktails after work. If I have enough calories left after all my meals, is it ok to finish them off with a couple cocktails???

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As long as you are meeting your nutritional needs there is no harm in drinking your calories. Ensure you are getting enough protein, healthy fats, etc before having a few drinks to reach your calorie goal.
  • aim1127
    Options
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I am meeting my nutritional needs...but then again...hmmm...it's my 2nd week, I think I'm getting it.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I drink the same...but 4 a night is about a third of my calories for the day....I think it has really stalled my weight loss....I have been on here 2 months and only lost a few pounds:( moderation is key, but for those of us wanting to lose weight, not likely we are good with that word!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    As long as you are meeting your nutritional needs there is no harm in drinking your calories. Ensure you are getting enough protein, healthy fats, etc before having a few drinks to reach your calorie goal.

Got it on the first response. I have an alcoholic beverage or two almost every night because I plan for it, and not just by making sure I have enough calories left over.
  • aim1127
    Options
    Ok, I usually plan for my cocktails too...if I need to workout extra hard, I do that too! Next question...red wine vs. vodka? I like both! :tongue:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Ok, I usually plan for my cocktails too...if I need to workout extra hard, I do that too! Next question...red wine vs. vodka? I like both! :tongue:
    I prefer liquor over beer and wine...so vodka it is! (:

I agree that as long as you're not undereating just to drink, go ahead and have them. I'm not going to avoid alcohol for the rest of my life, so I should learn how to fit it into my diet now.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think the advice to not drink your calories applies to those who have a hard time with going over their calories and its a way to allow them to focus on the calories being from food, not drink.

In your case, you have the calorie allowance and the desire to do so.... I say indulge (in moderation, of course).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I drink margaritas all the time. As long as it fits in your macros, its not a problem. :drinker:
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When they say to not drink your calories they are more refering to any liquid... Orange juice vs. an Orange. Because one glass of orange juice is over 300 calories and will not keep you full...etc... Eating food will fill you and keep you full and satisifed far more than a glass of milk, etc.
    Visit Scooby's Workshop
    I too will drink my cocktail if the need/occasion comes along....:drinker: :drinker:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/

If that can't help I don't know what will :tongue:
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    yes
    but alcohol will damage your liver and kill you

do what you want
    stay under calories
    exercise it off
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yes
    but alcohol will damage your liver and kill you

do what you want
    stay under calories
    exercise it off

Too much alcohol, certainly, binge drinking definitely damage your liver and might kill you plus Raised blood pressure which increases the risk of Stroke; stomach disorders; depression and emotional disorders; cancers, particularly of the mouth, throat and gullet; malnutrition; and accidents.

But a glass or two now and again won't hurt.

I drink a lot less now - I don't "save" calories for alcohol (except for special occasions), but if I have enough in my calorie budget, I might treat myself to a glass of wine or two. But not as often anymore - we used to have a bottle of wine or two every weekend, now it's more like a bottle of wine a month!

I agree with everyone who's saying as long as you get all your nutrients first. But also I think you shouldn't deny yourself and if a little glass of something now and again keeps you feeling human, go for it!
  • aim1127
    Options
    Nice...thanks!
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This doesn't exactly refer to weight loss, but to the people who made comments about how "alcohol will kill you" there are actual multi-decade studies that show that drinking in moderation leads, on average, to a longer healthier life than both over drinking and not drinking at all. It's a stress reliever. Think about all the times you went on a rant about something that had been bothering you only after a few drinks... with out those you might've kept it bottled up. Stress is a real killer! So moral of the story, have a few drinks, choose lower calorie options when available. But always remember, this is your life, enjoy it!
  • aim1127
    Options
    Exactly!!! Thanks again!!!
  • astattonhunt
    astattonhunt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a glass or two of alcohol. Even Jesus drank wine. I love wine my husband and I were married at a winery, do I drink it everyday, no, but if I want a glass of wine I'm going to have it. Tannin's give me a headache so I can only have about two glasses anyway.

My problem came in with regular everyday drinks. I like sweet drinks, I drink a gallon of water a day, but I love a soda when I go out. When you drink the calories of an entire meal in one large soda, that's when it becomes a problem. However, drinking diet soda is literally poisoning you. Aspartame turns into formaldehyde at temperatures above 84 degrees, our body temps are 98.6 for most of the population. So guess what, every time you drink a diet soda your killing yourself with formaldehyde poisoning. Scientists have found that Splenda builds up in your body, your body doesn't know what to do with it, so it doesn't have a way of getting it out. They don't know yet what kind of problems this is going to cause in the future. Also diet drinks metabolize in your body just like sugar, they can actually hinder your weight loss process.

The only sweeteners that are natural and good for you are Stevia, and crystalline xylitol. Xylitol is harder to find, but if your having any problems with your teeth it's the way to go. It actually aids in teeth health and is used in toothpastes to sweeten them. It does have some gastrointestinal effects. I use Stevia.

I found a solution at home I make tea with Stevia, If I have to go out I try to take a bottle full of tea with me. I still have an occasional soda but it's getting better.

I think this is more what they are talking about when they talk about drinking your calories. I just get tired of water, and I've found with being able to have my sweet drink, tea with stevia, I have less cravings for sweets when it comes to food. Hope this helps.

I do know if I want a glass of wine I'm going to have it. Everything in moderation.