Why am I not losing inches in my waist??

I took my measurements today, and I was a little disappointed to see that I only lost a mere .5 inches in my waist. I did, however, lose a considerable amount in my neck and hips (1 inch on the neck, 2 inches from the hips). This was over the span of a month.

I have lost 13 pounds so far, but haven't noticed any real movement in the waist area. I did have a considerable amount to lose in my lower abdomen (from my last pregnancy) and I have noticed that area seems to be slimming....Is it becuase I have a greater amount of total belly fat that I have to rid myself of first before I see movement in my waist?

Just curious to know if anybody else has this same problem

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Because you can't spot reduce.

My waist was the first thing to lose inches from (and always was significantly thinner than the rest of my body), however my thighs were always a lot bigger than the rest of my body and not losing inches at the same rate until I kept losing more.
  • ijohn001
    ijohn001 Posts: 166
    I'm no expert, but generally speaking... belly fat is the last to go.

From my personal experience, I gain weight in two places, my face.... and my belly.

I've lost 25 pounds since April 1 this year. my face looks great... my belly still has some distance to travel.

Everyone is different. My experience alone is not science. Other people's experience may differ. People have different body chemistry and genetic characteristics. I wish my belly was the first to go, but not so for me. I keep working at it, and even though I haven't seen much difference on the scale in the last month, I have had to tighten up my belt a notch or two in the same time period. So, I know something's happening.

Stay with the plan... it'll go, it just takes time.
  • Because you can't spot reduce.

My waist was the first thing to lose inches from (and always was significantly thinner than the rest of my body), however my thighs were always a lot bigger than the rest of my body and not losing inches at the same rate until I kept losing more.

So I shouldn't worry too much about it then?? :smile:
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    UGH! I'm in the same boat! I've lost 10pounds...my legs and chest have gone down drastically but not much change in my waist! I have the dreaded c-section pooch and I hate it! it's the first place I gain so I expect it will be the last place I lose.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Nope, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you! My thighs are finally starting to lose inches as well, but for a while my body shape changed from hourglass to pear and my lower half was the same size as when I was much heavier while my upper half looked thin.
  • klo1335
    klo1335 Posts: 13
    I also have the dreaded c-section shelf and I actually feel like I lose weight every where else except that shelf. It is so annoying. But I am not giving up:) I am also asking for a tummy tuck for Christmas, but chances are that won't happen either :laugh:
  • shortstuff17
    shortstuff17 Posts: 86 Member
    i've learned the areas you hate the most and want to lose the fastest is usually the area that loses last...probably to motivate you to keep going...regardless you should be happy you are at least getting smaller and keep it up, it will come off eventually :)
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I took my measurements today, and I was a little disappointed to see that I only lost a mere .5 inches in my waist. I did, however, lose a considerable amount in my neck and hips (1 inch on the neck, 2 inches from the hips). This was over the span of a month.

I have lost 13 pounds so far, but haven't noticed any real movement in the waist area. I did have a considerable amount to lose in my lower abdomen (from my last pregnancy) and I have noticed that area seems to be slimming....Is it becuase I have a greater amount of total belly fat that I have to rid myself of first before I see movement in my waist?

Just curious to know if anybody else has this same problem

I have been at it for 2 years. I have lost 47 Lbs and have built muscle. my belly is starting to noticeably lose now. keep at it. It is always the last place to be lost from. Don't get discouraged, keep taking measurements. I was a 34 waist when I started, now I am 27/28,,,,,,
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    I'm down almost 20 lbs and my waist measurement hasn't moved.at.all. either. Hang in there, as you keep moving along, the measurements will change too!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Yeah the belly can store a *lot* of fat. So it can take quite a while for it to reduce. I still have a flabby paunch.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    I've lost 19 pounds and my belly still jiggles. Meanwhile I'm only about 116 pounds! Hang in there. Hopefully we'll start losing that belly fat soon.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Genetics determine where you store fat 1st and last. If you continue to loose, eventually you will lose around the waist. You can't spot reduce tho u can bulk up other parts of you body with heavy lifting and make your waist appear smaller.
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Like it has been said, you can't spot reduce. Genetics do play a large part on your shape obviously. The best thing to do is to focus on overall fat loss with cardio and strength training. Never forget your strength training!!!!!!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    ME TOO! I am not good at taking measurements. But I swear to ZOD, I took my measurements in April when I started again and my waist is the exact same almost 50lbs down!!! Argh! My husband has lost 6lbs and is down 1 1/2in around the waist. WTF?

Let me add though, the spot right above my belly button on the sides is coming in, I can see the damn curve on the sides, it is the point where you measure that is NOT changing. Why do I have to measure there? I don't like that spot. It doesn't like me.
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Congrats so far on what you have done! Belly weight is the hardest and last to go usually. You will see if decrease over time but to get really nice abs its all about your diet. You can't spot reduce so just keep doing what you are doing and it will come off over time. Good luck!
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    UGH! I'm in the same boat! I've lost 10pounds...my legs and chest have gone down drastically but not much change in my waist! I have the dreaded c-section pooch and I hate it! it's the first place I gain so I expect it will be the last place I lose.

I have the pooch from my c-section too. It is reducing my super slowly :(
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    My tummy is the last to lose too! :sad:
  • Alarix
    Alarix Posts: 1
    So relieved to see it's not just me! I'm having the same problem and it's making me crazy. But good to know it's normal and that persistence will pay off.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    So relieved to see it's not just me! I'm having the same problem and it's making me crazy. But good to know it's normal and that persistence will pay off.
    My waist size is now around 29 inches from 34 back in August 2013. I didn't actually lose a lot of weight from my August 2013 post - 170 to 156. I bought some pants back then thinking that I wouldn't drop too much more - boy was I wrong. Had to get rid of all of them.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    It is scientifically proven that the place you want to lose fat first: will be last

And belly is usually that place. I lost in my face, legs, butt, arms, neck, heals, and toes.. any day now, the belly will finally disappear entirely :)