hypothyroid success stories?

Options
Anyone have hypothyroid and had success with weight loss? I just got diagnosed and started the pill.

Replies

• Carrie_704
    Carrie_704 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i've been on armour thryoid since mid april and havent been able to lose anything. i know it takes time, i just dont know how much.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I take Levoxyl for my hypothyroid issues. I've been on it since 2004. I started eating right and exercising in mid June and really haven't seen an issue. I think it's different for each individual though...
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm on levothyroxine 175 mg:( Until my dose was right I didn't lose anything no matter what I did, it was awful. Took nearly a year to get it where I've had a few normal blood tests in a row and now the weight is coming off at a steady rate of 2lbs a week.. It can be done you just need to work close with your dr and stay on your meds:)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am going to recap 2012 for you for me.

I "re-started" my weightloss journey, read this as actually committed to the whole thing. And my levels were good (TSH at ike 1.25) and I was taking synthroid. I had some ups and downs and small plateaus, but I managed to lose ~50 pounds at a fairly regular rate.

Then my pharmacist started giving me the generic, and things when cuckoo. (this is all in retrospect). After being stuck for a month. And having the previous 3 months clock in at like 6 pounds, I played around with my diet. Intuitive eating....eating more, eating less. Nothing happened. So I took a break.

My TSH levels inched up. My period stopped. And I regained about 20 of those pounds over a 2-3 month period.

At the beginning of the year, my TSH levels were up to 2.7. When I looked back on things, it looked like almost all of the issues timed the switch to generic. I have been back on brand for about 6 months now, but I have literally been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds since January. My food intake is around 16-1800, which is a happy number for me. But I am really frustrated.

So I have been switching up my workouts, setting other goals. Just so I can measure some form of progress.

I just got new blood work about 2 weeks ago, and I an now at 1.7. Hopefully that number works. Off to a nutritionist (as recco-ed by my doctor) in about 2 weeks. Not sure it will help, but it is worth a try.

So I am semi successful. On the up note, my latest workout tweak is resulting in changes on the tape measure, if not the scale. I am a little better off size wise than I was last year at this weight.

I think if you are well regulated, it is "easy" but if you aren't then things go haywire.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Down almost 75. Even stopped my thyroid medication. Diagnosis of Hashimotos thyroiditis in 2002, I think. Maybe earlier?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Went from 160 to 120, size 12 to size 0, am now about 135 but still size 0. My numbers got off this winter and it was hard hard hard to feel motivated, exercise, but I just focused on eating correctly and gained weight, but didn't gain size. My numbers go bad every time I train for another marathon, but as long as I'm not marathon training I can keep them under control. Diet is everything.

Check out Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman - Fat Flush Plan. It really helped me.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed and started meds in 2000. Other issues including pregnancy, secondary infertility and treatments, and another pregnancy....11 years later and I had 60 pounds to lose. I'm down 45, only 15 to go. I've stayed on top of my levels, and my doctor recommended that I eat fewer carbs, more protein and veggies. It's taken over a year, but I'm on the right track! You can do this!
  • StarPanic85
    StarPanic85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started Levothyroxin 50mcg beginning of last month, started to eat better, stay under 1400 calories, walk a mile everyday. I lost 13 pounds the first 2 weeks which is huge for me...I have never lost that much weight before. As far back as I remember I gain and gain but never loose. So I almost cried went I saw the scale. It has been a week since I weighed but I feel like more has come off. My pants are starting to slide off when I walk which is an amazing feeling. I still have 3 weeks until I go back and get my blood taken. I already have so much more energy..brain fog isn't as bad anymore.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I take levothyroxine 100mcg, and workout just about everyday I keep my cals at about 1200-1400 give or take and have lost weight its a slow process..I also try to keep my carbs under 180grams daily
  • xx4mygirlsxx
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911688-hashimoto-success-story-in-progress-pics?hl=hashimotos#posts-16001409

This is my success story. I have hashimotos and have been hypo for most of the last 2yrs. After a few 'issues' I made a new profile hence the different name lol

Keep at it. The weight comes off slowly but it will come off as long as you eat right and get more active. ( and obviously keep your thyroid levels normal, easier said then done I know. Currently hypo again myself). X
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If your meds are on point, there's no reason you should have any more trouble losing than anyone else. You just started treating your problem so it might take a while to find the right dose and build it up in your system, but in the long run hypothyroidism shouldn't hold you back.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid back in 2011 and I had become obese that January after being told my weight which was 188 I started doing zumba and sometimes yoga drop my first 15 lbs in a month I wasn't eating healthy but I had cut out fast foods I would have fast food 2x a week then I hit a plateau and started insanity and hit my goal weight of 140 last spring but ended up prego last summer gave birth this april so now im back at it again im 165 now started rip in 30 then going to do insanity in sept my dosage is 100mg for now keeps going up
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Levothyroxine 112mcg, started taking it sometime in 2004 or so? I'm down almost 22 pounds since February, no special diet (ie no low carb), just trying to hit my macros and calories and doing a mix of cardio and strength training. Feel free to take a look at my diary, it's open.

And what MsEndomorph said--once you get your meds dialed in, it shouldn't be any harder. Unfortunately getting it dialed in can take months, or at least it did for me. I was up to 175 or so at one point before coming back down to my current level, which has been stable for at least 5 years.
  • DeenerN
    DeenerN Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm at 112mcg synthroid, I notice mini plateaus in my weight loss and I lose at a slower rate than others I see on here. But that's no biggie to me. I've lost 15lbs in 2 months so I'm happy. I've been keeping my calories between 1600-1850 depending on how hard I hit it at the gym. I have a long way to go--I need to lose a 116 more to be under 200. Any other hypo's want to add me as a friend I'm going to be here for the long haul; I'm changing my lifestyle--this is not a diet for me.
  • lookgreatfast
    lookgreatfast Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    thank you all. This gives me hope to lose my last 10 lbs.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was diagonosed with a hypothyroid shortly after getting started last year. I'm on Levo. This is my first full out effort at losing weight and getting healthy so I'm not sure how much of an effect the medication is having. Things are going pretty well though.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after I had my second child in 2008. I had no problem with weightand had always been "skinny".. THEN.. over the years I gained about 80 lbs. My levels were up and down for years and to be honest I didn't feel good and didn't want to do anything as i had no energy. In 2009/2010 I decided to get in gear and start exercising and eating better and since then I have now lost 55 lbs. I am on 125mg of synthroid and my level has been where it needs to be for over a year now. My new doctor did diagnose me with Hoshimoto's though and it makes perfect since as to why I was up and down for years. It can be done..never give up!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Then my pharmacist started giving me the generic, and things when cuckoo. (this is all in retrospect). After being stuck for a month. And having the previous 3 months clock in at like 6 pounds, I played around with my diet. Intuitive eating....eating more, eating less. Nothing happened. So I took a break.

Oh, does this ring a bell for me! DON'T let a doctor or a pharmacist or your insurance provider tell you that generic is just as good as the real thing. NOT! A dozzen different doctors, a dozen different pharmacies and a handful of different insurance providers messed with my TSH for thirty years. Blast them all. I've finally stabilized on Synthroid 175 and things are looking good again.

Also, to the OP, since you're new to this, remember that you need to take your Rx on an empty stomach. Some doctors insist that they should be taken first thing in the morning but there are recent medical studies published that prove taking them late at night can be just as effective. Coffee has been reported to impede the absorption so take care with that.

Make sure you have your TSH levels checked regularly. It takes a while to learn how to recognize the "too little" or "too much" syndrome. Too much will make you want to kill something and can also lead to brittle bones.

You're doing great! Keep it up!
  • Emilycip
    Emilycip Posts: 10
    Options
    Diagnosed with thyroid cancer in late November ( and diabetes at the same time!) I had my thyroid removed and went on synthroid, 175 mcg. After surgery, they examined my thyroid and told me I had probably suffered from Hashimotos for years.. My numbers are still off and i find it harder than others to lose even when following 1200-1400 cals a day and running 7 days a week, but I know when they get my dosage figured out I will lose easier again! Have lost 50+ lbs since November and transformed myself! Keep at it!
  • lachellesolomon
    lachellesolomon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with you I am on the same medication it just depends on the person and it takes a lot of hard work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!