Anyone else out there hit the same wall as me?

Options
I joined My Fitness Pal back in August 2011 after I realized I needed some kind of change, as well as a personal challenge to battle the very thing I'd avoided fixing since elementary school, obesity. I made quite a few changes when I first realized that yes, indeed losing weight by actually watching what I ate was a key to success. I'm not regretting the decisions I've made, but I am regretting the relentless urge to "just get it done" mindset I had.

I successfully went from 183 lbs. (my heaviest ever was 210) to 130 lbs. August 2011 to May 2012. Since then I'd gone up and down by 1-4 lbs. due to eating choices. I've always, always been on top of my exercises and very much enjoy working out. If I could maintain by solely doing exercise I'd be set for life, but unfortunately I realized more than half of maintaining is the food choices I make.

I'm now at 136.4 lbs. and even though that's almost 6 1/2 lbs. heavier I'm beginning to feel a difference in how my size 4 pants fit--a bit snug. I don't want to lose everything I worked for and keep struggling with myself to "just start new" every day I mess up. I get restless and want to eat out at not so healthy places (I'm glad I don't have a fast food fetish) but I do love myself some high calorie, rich foods. I know everyone needs a cheat day in there somewhere but I've gone above and beyond cheat days most weeks. I don't know how to tame my taste buds from pleasure mode to just eat to get the nutrients needed and that's it. That trigger most people have to just stop eating, the I'm satisfied signal, is kind of broken on me.

Sweets? Don't even get me started on those. I can eat dessert like it's a meal. Sure, I feel bloated and have a sugar rush afterward and even feel it the next day. I feel like a slug after all damage is done. I usually do alright to "make sure I never do that again" for the weeks to follow and then repeat the mistake and again it's followed by the famous words, "I'll never do that again"... repeat weeks later.

Reason I say I regret my "just get it done" mindset is because I feel it's ruined the "now" me. I went into it for a while thinking restriction was the key but little did I realize restricting certain things I LOVED would come back and bite me square in the butt. Especially after those "restricted items" came back into play as just "treats". Trigger foods, I guess.

I guess I'm writing this mostly to know whether anyone else has had this experience. I'm going to give this 100% this month and try and knock off the extra L-B's (pounds) but I don't know how to keep myself accountable. It's like all the standards I held myself to in the past have faded. Logging doesn't really have the appeal it did before because I almost feel it's restriction. I've tried not logging for a while and realized that's bad too because I tend to "edit" my choices in my head and just let myself forget the mistakes I've made just to feel better.

Here are my stats for anyone curious:

Female
Height: 5,7"
Heaviest weight: 210 (back in my senior year of High school and freshman year of college)
Lightest weight: 125 lbs.; this was after hitting my goal, I fell back and forth. I'm still not completely sure what my true, healthy weight should be. That may have been too light...
Current weight: 136.4
Past pant size: 14 (probably going into a 16 when I started)
Current: 4, sometimes 6 just depends on brand
Exercises (I rotate): consists of running (I was long distance running for a while), walking (try to do 3 or more miles), strength is normally Jillian Michaels workouts (No More Trouble Zones, Ripped in 30, 30 Day Shred and sometimes her Yoga Meltdown), gym elliptical

Replies

• CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Why not make a completely new challenge for yourself? Something that goes along with your fitness goals.

For example, why not set the goal of running a marathon? Maybe a half iron man? Maybe join a group in your area that is training for a tough mudder? A sport you always wanted to try?

Maybe what you need is no longer the motivation that comes with trying to loose or be at a certain weight but to give your body and mind reason to be at that weight other than just being at it because you think it is ideal. Give your fitness goal some real world functionality.
  • kalieah
    kalieah Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    tbh, I'm having the EXCACT same proplem as you! it suuuucks!:( last july, i went from 174 to 165. Then, by january i was at 156, the lowest id EVER been! i was SOOOO proud of myself! (I'm 5'7 too)

Unfortunately, i gained it back. I went up to 169 in april, but now I'm at 166. I think its because i was trying to lose weight took quickly, and i ended up doing more damage then good:/ message me, we can become fit buddies and motivate each other!:)
    good luck!
  • charbella118
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way! When I originally started with MFP a year ago I was 152 and got all the way down to 133. I was eating healthy and going to the gym regularly (4-5 times a week)... This past year I've been fluctuating between 135-139. Now I've been eating unhealthy choices like sweets, burgers, pizza pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Like you, I can eat sweets for a meal... My favorite bakery has the best whoopie pies and it's the only things I can think about. Mainly bc i'm PMSing... I really wish I can get back to my old way of thinking when I first started my weight loss journey. I keep telling myself next week you'll get on track but a month later i'm at where I started. I really want to get down to 125... That number seems so far away... I've been more focused this past week. Hopefully I can continue with it...
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Why not make a completely new challenge for yourself? Something that goes along with your fitness goals.

For example, why not set the goal of running a marathon? Maybe a half iron man? Maybe join a group in your area that is training for a tough mudder? A sport you always wanted to try?

Maybe what you need is no longer the motivation that comes with trying to loose or be at a certain weight but to give your body and mind reason to be at that weight other than just being at it because you think it is ideal. Give your fitness goal some real world functionality.

I totally agree! I did that in December 2012 cause I was like, "HEY, I could work to do a half marathon!" I did and finished my first half marathon that December. I kind of got burned out on running but am trying to pick it back up again. I SO need a group or partner or something to run with because running as a loner is boring. I've wanted to get back into Yoga, but our budget is tight right now (saving for another car). I took Yoga back in college and liked it a lot (at the time I wasn't in good shape/hadn't lost my weight). Now I think I could succeed at it having less weight on me and being more active. I want it as a strength training exercise.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on how I can win in lots of little ways, because when I win in lots of little ways, I win big overall.

I feel goofy posting my mantra, but you're welcome to it, if it's of any benefit to you:

The more hunger pangs I endure, the more I win.
    The more I go to bed hungry, the more I win.
    The more times I go to the gym, the more I win.
    The more sweat-soaked my shirts are from workouts, the more I win.
    The more weight I lift, the more I lift it, the more I win.
    The more time I add to my workouts, even seconds, the more I win.
    The more miles I add to my workouts, even tenths of miles, the more I win.
    The more I make my muscles burn, the more I win.
    The more I pass up the cake and donuts in the office, the more I win.
    The more I refuse to eat the brownies and cookies at home, the more I win.
    The more holes I have to make in my belt, the more I win.
    The more clothes I shrink out of, the more I win.
    The more people tell me I look like I'm losing weight, the more I win.
    The more I don't cheat on my nutrition, the more I win.
    The more the scales go down, even if only by tenths, the more I win.
    The more veins I see being pushed out by new muscle, the more I win.
    The more I deny myself, the more I win.
    The more I push myself, the more I win.
    The more I refuse to fail, the more I win.
    The more I persist, the more I persevere, the more I win.

The less I care about food, the more I win.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bitslinger,

This is my first post on MFP, but I'm compelled to respond as your post is so motivational.

Thank you.
  • Scienceteacher42
    Scienceteacher42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to lose after years of not caring enough and I am doing everything I can to make sure I don't fall back into bad habits once I start getting really busy. One thing I have recently found is a bicycling/hiking/outdoor group on Meetup.com. This group has a couple of bike rides a week - I went with and ended up riding 13 miles. I know I haven't rode my bike that much since I was a teenager. It motivates you to have a group you are meeting and riding with. Tuesday nights is August are Ladies Ride Nights so we go out and ride together.

I found the group because I liked a Facebook group for biking in my town and someone posted in that group about a ride they were planning. You can find groups for other activities as well. Check it out and see if you can find some people in your area who are already working out together and join them. It is very motivational.
  • tkarguijo
    Options
    Have you looked into Chris Powell's Choose to Lose: 7 day Carb Cycle?? I really enjoy him. He makes learning to choose healthy eating seem attainable. His plan also allows for the "wall" and "maintenance" issues you are talking about. I am one of those that doesn't agree with cutting something out in order to lose, just because it comes back with a vengeance when you go back to it. I think MODERATION is key...allow them, just in the right quantities and at the right time. I know you don't need to lose a bunch of weight, but the carb cycling might be key to busting through your wall. Hope you have lots of luck...and GREAT JOB ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!! Hopefully I will hit that mark and maintain it!
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am also on the long-term roller coaster weight loss/gain ride. I started MFP over a year ago, and in that time lost about 15 lbs. I'm back up to almost my starting weight. Summer seems to be easier, when you're always doing something, and (here at least) it's so hot you don't feel like eating much. But I also treat myself more than I should, and due to life situations, I'm not nearly as disciplined in exercise as I once was. My goals aren't unrealistic - I would love to be around 150 - but my lifestyle seems to keep me right around the 170 mark. I know it's a matter of discipline and effort, but I also want to LIVE!! Life is too short to be miserable and hungry... Good luck!!
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am at the same place also. I am curious what advice you'll receive. You've done so much; just don't give up!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on how I can win in lots of little ways, because when I win in lots of little ways, I win big overall.

I feel goofy posting my mantra, but you're welcome to it, if it's of any benefit to you:

The more hunger pangs I endure, the more I win.
    The more I go to bed hungry, the more I win.
    The more times I go to the gym, the more I win.
    The more sweat-soaked my shirts are from workouts, the more I win.
    The more weight I lift, the more I lift it, the more I win.
    The more time I add to my workouts, even seconds, the more I win.
    The more miles I add to my workouts, even tenths of miles, the more I win.
    The more I make my muscles burn, the more I win.
    The more I pass up the cake and donuts in the office, the more I win.
    The more I refuse to eat the brownies and cookies at home, the more I win.
    The more holes I have to make in my belt, the more I win.
    The more clothes I shrink out of, the more I win.
    The more people tell me I look like I'm losing weight, the more I win.
    The more I don't cheat on my nutrition, the more I win.
    The more the scales go down, even if only by tenths, the more I win.
    The more veins I see being pushed out by new muscle, the more I win.
    The more I deny myself, the more I win.
    The more I push myself, the more I win.
    The more I refuse to fail, the more I win.
    The more I persist, the more I persevere, the more I win.

The less I care about food, the more I win.

I LOVE THIS!!! Tagging for motivation. :flowerforyou:

Also, OP: you are definitely not alone. I have been dealing with these issues for years. Keep working at changing your inner dialogue about your relationship with food. It can be done!
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    First - congrats for keeping so much of the weight off for over a year. I know for a fact this is not an easy thing to do and it's simple to backslide. I did this and am now struggling to get back to where I was at my smallest. First it was little things, then bigger things and then a very stressful period in my life. Now i've got 20 pounds at least to lose again, started with 55 (so 35 pounds down). Good for you for realizing you need to concentrate better now so you don't have to go back and lose that much weight again.

My advice:
    Don't put anything off limits
    Eat dessert, just watch the portion size like with anything else.
    When going out to eat try to research the resturant beforehand. I always try to see what sounds good and what's not terrible for me and make little changes like if I have a baked potato I get butter on the side so I control how much goes on. Or I intentionally only eat half my entree - then I'm eating half as many calories and have a meal for another day.
  • brucerc311
    brucerc311 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    136 is a very healthy weight for 5'7' and exercising regularly! If you're really concerned with weight gain that isn't lean muscle, make sure you burn the extra calories you eat at the gym or other activites. I'm with you, I love food. It's been a struggle for me to lose these last ten lbs I'm aiming for (I'm 5'8" and 175 (I have a significant amount of muscle though, so I don't look it!). What's life if you don't enjoy it? Stay motivated, and remember that its not about the number, its how you feel that's important :)