weights?

ktbug1186
ktbug1186 Posts: 266
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been doing nothing but straight cardio so far...no weights..I have any kind of weights available to me, I just don't know where to start! I am definitely a beginner when it comes to weights. Does anyone have any tips for starting out? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :) --Katie

Replies

• you wanna start small like 2lbs at first. You do not want to over do it with them! As you start doing more and more with the weights then you go up to next size up I think that is a 4lb! I have only worked out with weights a few times but these tips came from my high school football coach (hard to believe that was almost 10 years ago and I am just now putting it to use lol) Good luck!!!!
  • So I have been doing nothing but straight cardio so far...no weights..I have any kind of weights available to me, I just don't know where to start! I am definitely a beginner when it comes to weights. Does anyone have any tips for starting out? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :) --Katie

Right now I'm working with just 3lb weights (it's all I have) .... I've belonged to many gyms over the yrs, but can't afford that luxury right now. You shouldn't do weight/strength training more than about 3 days/wk .... And not 3 days in a row. Like the 1st reply said ... Take it slow and easy to start out. There's no benefit in being sore the next day after working out ... In fact it can sabotage your great plans! If you're looking for exercises to do you should be able to find some online, and most have videos to demonstrate how to perform the exercise. YouTube would probably have some ... Just enter weight training in the search bar. Entering them here on MFP is a bit tricky, but I think I've got it figured out ... Finally! I could probably glean a little more info from sources if you need more help. Just let me know.

KIM
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Hi Katie,
    You want to add some strength training and that does not necessarily mean weight lifting. You can usually get the same results or better by using your own body weight and doing strength/resistance training in that manner.

e.g. push ups - excellent strength training and something you can do any morning or evening at home and build up reps over time. same for squats, crunches etc.

I have done several of the Jillian Michaels workouts and yesterday, for the first time, tried her "no more trouble zones" DVD which targets flabby arms, core, quads, glutes, hamstrings, shoulders and was an excellent workout for many muscle groups that you can do in your home with just 3lb hand weights.

I've worked out i gyms in the past a lot as well - the weights and machines can be intimidating if you don't know what you are doing. Your best bet is to ask the gym manager or floor trainers for help and to guide you. It's part of their job to show clients how to use machines and free weights safely. Don't be shy. You'll want to make sure you are using correct form so you get the maximum benefit and avoid any injuries. If you can afford it - booking 2 or 3 sessions with a private trainer and getting them to teach you the basics of strength training would be very helpful.
  • Thanks for the tips!! :) I actually already have some 2 pound weights so i'll start with those!
  • if you want to strenthen your body but not get bulked up combine cardio and weights. Break up your sets. pick up to 5 mechines that work difrent muscles usualy starting from top to botom or botom to top do 10 reps at a moderate weight. start at your first station then without resting move to your next station emediatly. after all stations are compleet rest just long enofe to catch your breth then start again. as you get farther into your reps reduce the weight acordingly. you whant to prevent muscle burn, that is your muscles scaring and scaring causes size not strength. and only do this typ of work out once or twice a week. over time your muscles should become dencer but not larger. and to help prevent soornes, do 15 min of no resistenc cardio at then end of your workout, like an eliptical set on o resistenc at a slow pace. the moderate blood flow will actualy prevent soornes.
This discussion has been closed.