p90x Ab ripper....

Options
Just started doing the P90X ab work out aiming for 3 days a week(at home) then 5 days in the gym!!
Has anyone used/tried the ab program? If so how was it?

Replies

• MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    INTENSE! it works!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    INTENSE! it works!!
    Ditto!!
  • dairywife
    dairywife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes it's intense and yes it works!! It takes only 15 minutes and is worth every crunch.
  • sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's way worth the time! I was surprised when I first did it at how effective it is. . .it took me awhile to build the stamina to do ALL of the reps. Good luck to you!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Really intense. Still can't do those dang Pfifer scissors!
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Intense is not the word...... I'm only doing the ab portion of it. As for the rest of my work it's in the gym.......
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Really intense. Still can't do those dang Pfifer scissors!

LOVE the pfifer scissors! I have great abs, they're just hiding. ;)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's brutal and will also require a lot of strength in your hip flexors. I started by attempting to get to 18, then 20, then 22, and finally all 25 of the reps on each of the exercises.
  • Michaela722
    Options
    It's the best and worst 15 minutes of your day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have you do need strong hip flexors for a lot of the movements and it can sometimes be more draining on your thighs than abs but overall it is a pretty well put together ab workout that I would recommend.
  • kimidawn11
    Options
    Oh yeah, it rocks, and you can do your best and forget the rest. Do what you can each time, and try to do better the next time!!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Yes very intense workout and it WORKS....doing it 3 days a week will be enough. You will see results just stick close to your diet. It really works. good luck
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not a fan. When I was doing P90X with my wife she would do ab ripper and I would do another program I developed that took the same amount of time. The problem was, my hip flexors were going out after the third exercise, but I couldn't feel anything going on in my actuall ABS, which for me was the freakin' poiont. I did lots of crunches and cross-crunches along with leg lifts and such and plenty of side crunches for my obliques.

If you want industrial strength hip flexors, then it's perfect.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not a fan. When I was doing P90X with my wife she would do ab ripper and I would do another program I developed that took the same amount of time. The problem was, my hip flexors were going out after the third exercise, but I couldn't feel anything going on in my actuall ABS, which for me was the freakin' poiont.

I agree, actually. I want to like it, and it was intense, but just didn't feel it enough in my abs- felt it everywhere else :tongue:
  • steve2375
    steve2375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Let me quote Tony Horton:

"Ab Ripper X. I hate it.....but I love it!"
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Love it!! I'm a huge fan of Ab Ripper X! We call each other Ab Skippers if we miss it! We do it Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays. We've been using P90X for so long, we just do it while watching tv at night instead of watching the DVD. 15 min and you're done!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    :drinker: i agree
    It's the best and worst 15 minutes of your day.
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm pretty excited about doing this... I did find that the first time I use it my hip flexors were killing, I thught it was because I just did a step Aerobics class.... Thanks for the input !!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I like Ab Ripper, but I wish it put more emphasis on core strength and abs and less on the hip flexors. I like to mix Ab Ripper with another ab circuit I put together to fill in the holes that I think Ab Ripper doesn't hit. If you're interested, here's that circuit:

Bicycle Crunches - 30 (hits upper and lower abs as well as obliques)
    Prone Cobra - 60-90s (hits the lower, middle and upper back as well as the glutes...none of which ever get touched by Ab Ripper)
    Side Raises - 15 each side (hits pretty much all the core muscles with emphasis on the obliques)
    Swiss Ball Jackknife - 15 (hits upper and lower abs as well as the rest of your core)
    Plank (Elbows & Toes) - 60-90s (hits pretty much every muscle in your core)

Ab Ripper is more challenging than this circuit, but this circuit hits areas that Ab Ripper does not.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I hate it...but I...no I just hate it.