Weight loss slowed down

Hi all - really wanting some advice - have been one fitness pal for a few months now and I love it however my loss has slowed down I was loosing 3-4 a week and now it's 1-2 and I sti har loads to lose - looking back it seems to be since they put
Me down to 1200 I haven't really changed anything else to stop it??? HELP! getting a bit frustrated!!! Thanks

Replies

• Anyone!????????
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    1-2 lbs is fine.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Why don't you do as your avatar says?

Calm down, tell us height weight age goal weight, open your diary.. and people can help.
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    1-2 lbs is still great!! Maybe try switching up what you are eating and exercises as well. If you are only doing cardio, add some weight lifting in there. Or vice versa. Good Luck!
  • Hi,

How many carbohydrates to you consume in a day? How many grams? Try cutting them way back, like to less than 50g a day. I have to eat less than 40-30g a day.....or I gain...sometimes we have to shake things up to get our bodies losing again. I know for me, since carbs turn to sugar.....too many make me go up....so I keep mine very, very low....also if you drink ice water, your metabolism has to kick into high gear to warm up the water so your body can use it, and it makes your metabolism go into higher gear, which helps you to lose more effectively. I've had weight loss surgery, and lose differently from most, but when things stall...or slow, time to change what you are doing with food and or exercise.....Best of luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Have you ever tried to lose weight in the past? If so, you will recall that this is how it goes... it comes flying off the first 2-4 weeks, you start calculating that you will be model skinny in 3 months and then it slows down to what is healthy and normal but you get discouraged because you won't meet that goal in your head.

I have given up many times under these conditions. This time I am adjusting when needed and trying to have a long term approach, every week will be different. The scale will go up and down, it won't be consistent. Don't get discouraged. Just keep it up and a year from now you will be way down and glad you hung in there.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Hi,

How many carbohydrates to you consume in a day? How many grams? Try cutting them way back, like to less than 50g a day. I have to eat less than 40-30g a day.....or I gain...sometimes we have to shake things up to get our bodies losing again. I know for me, since carbs turn to sugar.....too many make me go up....so I keep mine very, very low....also if you drink ice water, your metabolism has to kick into high gear to warm up the water so your body can use it, and it makes your metabolism go into higher gear, which helps you to lose more effectively. I've had weight loss surgery, and lose differently from most, but when things stall...or slow, time to change what you are doing with food and or exercise.....Best of luck!!

Janine Alfke

The amount of incorrect information in this post, HORRIFIES me.
  • Are you exercising? Maybe you need to do something different to shock your body or try pushing yourself extra harder while you're working out. Also, if you're not eating enough calories that could be part of the (esp if you are working out). Why not try the zigzag thing for a few weeks (start with, say, 1300 calories, the next day do 1500, the next do 1300, then 1200, then 1500, etc.) You could probably do a search for a better explanation of it. :)
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    "Keep Calm" seems to be the best advice anyone can give you. I too am now down to 1200 calories per day as per MFP's suggestion. My original number was 1470 but that's been gradually decreasing each time I lose 10 pounds or so. I've never lost more than 2 pounds a week, and now I'm losing between 1 and 1.5 a week. Yes, it's frustrating and YES, I want to lose faster, but the truth is that I'm here for the duration, no matter how long it takes. Nothing to do but take a deep breath and continue the plan. You may be surprised in the coming weeks with faster loss as well as a variance from week to week. The important thing is that you're going to lose the weight if you follow the plan.....guaranteed!
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Weight loss just does slow down as you go on, that's the way it works. The closer you get to your goal, the less you will lose.

In the end calories in vs. calories out is the bottom line. If you're losing less, it's because you have a smaller deficit. Have you recalculated your goals on the site? I do this every several pounds and my calorie goal is lowered usually by another 20. Your TDEE doesn't stay the same as you lose weight, so that needs to be accounted for.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    You weren't going to keep losing at that rate unless perhaps you were really drastically overweight. 1-2 pounds a week is very expectable for where you are. I'm looking to lose a little more total than you and my weight loss has followed a similar pattern. Stick with it and fight on...that's the key to getting there.
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    it will slow down, especially if you aren't changing up what exercises you are doing. i also suggest not eating the same thing every day too. changing up everything keeps your body surprised so it runs less "efficiently" and has to work harder. also, i hit a really bad plateau after hitting the gym really hard for 4 months, i took a week off and when i got back, i started making big progress again. the week off was both painful and wonderful, and getting back into the swing of things was a little rough, but it really helped me burst through that plateau! i read somewhere its good to take some time off every few months to prevent over training. just a thought! good luck with the rest of your weightloss!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    2lbs a week is the upper limit of how fast you should be losing, unless you have A LOT to lose you may lose quicker in the first few weeks. If you only have a few pounds to lose, 0.5-1lb a week should be ideal. Reducing carbs will make you weight drop weight fast but most of it will be water weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    1-2 lbs is healthy and safe and wont leave you with skin like a water soaked leather bag. You were never going to keep losing at that rate, it isn't how it works. The first few weeks it just falls off, then it settles into a manageable amount and there it goes from there, with fluctuations.

However, you said it seems to have happened since you went down to 1200. Go back up, then! I have 65-70lbs to lose and I'm losing 2lb, sometimes more, on 1300-1500 per day. 1200 is too low and doesn't let me have a nightly ice cream.
  • Wow thanks to you all for your comments and advice I really appreciate it - think I
    Am going to change up what I am eating as I eat salad almost every done time and do tend to stick to same things - I know I need to exercise more too but I don't like eatig the cals burnt back so don't know if that's a good or bad thing???

I am going to drink more water too

I just think I still have 3 stone to loose and eating only 1200 cals which is very low should mean weight coming off faster than it is right now??? X
  • I also have a habit of on my weigh day treating myself and eating what I want - but I have always done this an not had a problem - throughout all my diets etc and been fine So can't be that x
  • I do also eat a fair few carbs x
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    You should eat back those calories burned especaily if you're only eating 1200 calories. The only problem is MFP might over estimate how much you actualy burn which is why some people will eat back portions of it. If you get yourself an HRM it will help you be more accurate.
  • Yep that's exactly why I don't like to eat back because my cross trainer screen is broken and I can't see how many I have actually burnt and MFP seems way to generous!!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    You were losing at a faster rate than "normal" at the beginning, and now you are losing at a healthy level. So you got a pretty nice kickstart with those large losses, just keep doing what you're doing. One to two pounds per week is perfect.