Intermittent fasting

Options
I have been using MFP for quite some time, along with a fitbit and aria. I started at 239 lbs and steadily dropped pounds with a healthy diet and those tools to about 183 lbs. Naturally I was very happy to lose the 56 lbs in about 7.5 months. But it was getting harder to lose weight (those early months had higher weight loss rates) and I was getting frustrated. I still had 15 lbs to lose to hit my target weight. I came across the concept of intermittent fast on the internet and it has helped return to a significant weight loss rate. In those six weeks I've dropped an additional 7 lbs (including a ten day vacation).

Has anyone had a similar experience with this fasting concept?

Replies

• lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss. I have been doing 5:2 IF since March and have lost 20 lbs. There is a great 5:2 group on MFP with loads of support and advice.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There actually is some research that backs up using short periods of fasting to boost thermogenesis.

http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high.html
  • hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Timely topic. I too had reached a giant plateau and amping up the exercise was not an option with the new twins at home (well not of if I want to stay married/employed).

So I researched plateau busters and IF (Intermittent Fasting) seemed doable.

I have done one 24 hour fast a week for three weeks now, Lunch to Lunch Tuesday-Wednesday. I immediately started losing my 1lb a week again. Only 6-8 lb left.
  • itsthatchick1
    Options
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I know people that do 2/1 or 5/2 type diets with two days on and I day eating at TDEE, or 5 days on TDEE with 2 days fasting.

I dunno. Seems to work with some but not sure overall if it is MORE effective than normal healthy eating, or if it helps with palteaus.
  • TD_BC
    TD_BC Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    34lb down doing an 18/6 cycle every day...it's working for me!
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've lost 47 pounds intermittent fasting and a lot of exercise and lifestyle changes since early April.
  • quicknick12
    quicknick12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i started at 237 and cut back calories and limited my eating to generally before 5-7pm and lost about 45 lbs or so then like you discovered IF which only required me to skip breakfast which was hard to make time for as well. I would do about 800-1200 calories in 1 meal once a day around12-1pm and fast until the next 12pm eating window. this allowed me to go to class in the morning then come home and spend time preparing a nice meal usually oatmeal with protein powder mixed in or greek yogurt, then an egg white omellette with ground turkey and vegetables. It allowed me to be very full and satiated once a day (right before doing pretty vigorous cardio). i saw profound results. i have played with it a little bit now that i have lost most of what im going to lose (im now at 158 8 months later) ive got about 5 lbs left i want to lose before i switch to maintinence and begin weightlifting and i am now eating during a 4-6 hour window, still seeing results
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    i started at 237 and cut back calories and limited my eating to generally before 5-7pm and lost about 45 lbs or so then like you discovered IF which only required me to skip breakfast which was hard to make time for as well. I would do about 800-1200 calories in 1 meal once a day around12-1pm and fast until the next 12pm eating window. this allowed me to go to class in the morning then come home and spend time preparing a nice meal usually oatmeal with protein powder mixed in or greek yogurt, then an egg white omellette with ground turkey and vegetables. It allowed me to be very full and satiated once a day (right before doing pretty vigorous cardio). i saw profound results. i have played with it a little bit now that i have lost most of what im going to lose (im now at 158 8 months later) ive got about 5 lbs left i want to lose before i switch to maintinence and begin weightlifting and i am now eating during a 4-6 hour window, still seeing results

Why are you not weightlifting now?!?!?!?
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    800-1200 calories in total?
  • quicknick12
    Options
    well I should be but have a fracture in my left foot and havent been completely mobile, so no cardio either.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    well I should be but have a fracture in my left foot and havent been completely mobile, so no cardio either.

Cardio is a bad tool for fat loss.

You can weight train without your left foot, dude. :)

It will do you the world of good and because you're a beginner you'll gain muscle as well as losing fat.
  • quicknick12
    Options
    800-1200 calories generally and that is not net, i would also do about 700-1000 calories worth of cycling and that is according to my garmin forerunner 910xt, so fairly accurate.
  • quicknick12
    Options
    I dont know if i agree with you on cardio being bad for fat loss, but i dont think there is any argument that increasing lean muscle mass is not excellent for losing fat due to increased metabolically active body mass and thus increased metabolism. I need to get my *kitten* in there, youre right.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I dont know if i agree with you on cardio being bad for fat loss, but i dont think there is any argument that increasing lean muscle mass is not excellent for losing fat due to increased metabolically active body mass and thus increased metabolism. I need to get my *kitten* in there, youre right.

Cardio burns calories slowly, it is not ideal for fat loss, a calorie deficit is a much better way to lose weight rather than trying to burn off excess calories. I was obese myself, I know this ;)

Regardless.

Lift, Lift, Lift, Compound exeercises

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/09/22/training-the-guide/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!