Feeling embarrassed when working out

Options
Do you ever get really embarrassed when you work out? I was getting ready to walk and looking at my fat shadow made me pretty sad. Then while walking; breathing heavy with a red and sweaty face, someone honks their horn at me. I will tell you it made me feel an inch tall. All those negative hurtful thoughts filled my head. It made me want to just stop walking and go home. I pushed that aside and just kept walking but it's hard. :( How do you work on those negative thoughts in your head? I am hoping that over time they will get better once I start seeing results but until then I'm trying to find positive motivation to keep going.

Someone give me advice on how to begin to quiet those hateful voices in my head.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have the worst social anxiety. When I first started I swear everyone was looking at me and making fun of me. I couldn't run very far and of course everyone noticed. Then I realized that no one was paying attention to me. They were just there to workout and didn't give a damn about me - probably also going through what I was going through themselves. Push those thoughts out of the way. It's hard, but you can train your brain to be more positive.

This is a great thread that I have favorited.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1049423-omg-you-wouldn-t-believe-what-she-has-been-saying-to-me?hl=she+said+to+me
  • GabbyGlitch
    GabbyGlitch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link.
  • Skyebella27
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I just joined and also joined a gym and sometimes feel out of place. I've never had anyone look at me funny or say something to me, but I'd probably burst into tears if someone did :(

Thanks times 2 for the thread link!
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I hate having anyone look at me when I work out, so I joined a 24 hour gym so I can go at all hours of the night when it's all-but deserted and can be by my lonesome not looking at anyone.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    it helped me to come to the realization that I was only doing this for me. Yes...I had the stupid people honk and yell when I first started too. It also helped me to realize how sad and small those people are that their idea of fun is to mock and belittle people trying to better themselves. Just remember...you are changing and bettering yourself while they will stay those same sad people.

I joined a gym about 2 months ago (after having only done walking for a long time) and have never felt out of place or judged negatively. Most people in the gym are too busy with their own workout to worry about others or are looking at you impressed that you are there are working out (and eventually you become the person that you used to look up to in the gym)
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I felt the same I wanted to run on the road rather then the treadmill for the last 6 weeks but I couldn't bring myself to do it until last weekend, and by the end of the 40 mins I didn't know what I was worried about. Because I went first thing in the morning I saw maybe 5 cars and I did pass prob 6 people who were walking, but they were all friendly and said hello.

So my suggestion is try walking at a time with less people about it may alleviate some of your worries. Or as my best friend always tells me what do you think when you see someone walking or running? Your probably think hey I should be doing that or good on them for getting out there, how often do you go omg look at them?
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason I do all my running on a treadmill at home :( I don't think I'm strong enough mentally to push past someone hurling an insult towards right now. Plus I know I've always given up in the past when it has happened and I'm not ready to risk it. Sounds like you were strong enough to get past it though, so keep it up. Good luck to you :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get really embarrassed when you work out?
    - Yes, when I do certain exercises

I was getting ready to walk and looking at my fat shadow made me pretty sad.
    - Focus on your breath, your surroundings, your pace. Looking at your shadow is the last thing you need to do! (Literally & metaphorically. Eyes AHEAD!)

Then while walking; breathing heavy with a red and sweaty face, someone honks their horn at me. I will tell you it made me feel an inch tall.
    - That will have been some idiot. Remind yourself that anyone who does that, is an idiot.

All those negative hurtful thoughts filled my head.
    - This kind of thing happens fast, and yeah, it's hard to control when it starts, sometimes. I say, shake it off. (Just literally this time!) Push HARDER. Run or jog for a minute. Make a sound. If you've got your headphones on, turn up your music. Drown out or shake off those thoughts. (The other way -- changing your beliefs -- is important, I'm talking short short term. Look into getting some help, maybe, if this happens a lot.)

It made me want to just stop walking and go home. I pushed that aside and just kept walking but it's hard.
    - THIS IS FANTASTIC!!! It's hard, for sure, but you did it! Do that again!

When I'm doing something difficult and almost feel like giving up, this is what I say (seriously, I say it out loud). "Don't cave. Caving is not an option." Because, I used to cave a lot. And one day, I realized, that I don't want to be the kind of person who caves. I want to be a fighter. So, when a challenge comes up, I try to take it as often as possible. And I can see things are better because of it.

I am hoping that over time they will get better once I start seeing results but until then I'm trying to find positive motivation to keep going.
    - You're right, they will get better!

Positive motivation: this is really individual. Why are you doing this? Lock into those reasons.

Also. What other times in your life have you felt really strong and powerful? Even if they're not fitness related? When you're feeling weak, think of those times, and remember that you can be strong.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    the anxiety of being laughed at is always there i think, but not as much when you reach your goal. I have this problem greatly except it's gotten much better then it used to be. To ignore this i sort of changed my mind set. I also tend to do my exercise in the most private area i can find.

Things you can do:
    change your mind set, know you are beautiful and no one can change that!
    put some headphones in when you are feeling in particularly self conscious
    Tell yourself your reasons for doing it. getting healthy, losing weight, being able to run 5k, fitting into that cute dress... whatever it may be.

Don't let anyone stop you!! the only person in your way is you! you can do it! push through :D
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is one of the main reasons I workout at home and I'm here... I get enough grief from my husband...don't need it from anyone else! Stay here and we'll be your support... Keep moving that is what is important!
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Get some head phones and ignore *kitten*. Always remember that you are walking, they are in a car (not doing anything physical). I seriously think anyone who is compelled to be rude to someone trying to be healthy is insecure and threatened by your motivation. Hold your head up higher and DO NOT give up and let someone who mean nothing to you ruin your chances at happiness and well being.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    At least you are out there & lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch or driving by!

I have music on when I walk so I never know if someone is honking at me. Don't always take it as a negative - they could have been honking in support, unless it was followed by the person yelling out horrible things...You don't know why they honked, maybe they knew you or thought they knew you.

It is hard to feel confident. I get depressed when I catch my glimpse in the mirrors at the mall. Good luck. I hope you continue doing what you are doing & end up happy with yourself soon :flowerforyou:
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    YOU are a beautiful and valuable individual, you are creatively made and have a valid purpose The negative self talk gets us to this point in life and has no purpose of good in your life. Friend me if you like!
  • grambefit
    Options
    Feel NO SHAME for working out!!!!

Indeed, the honking horns could be people CHEERING YOU ON! Really.

I am morbidly obese, but work out at a famous, serious gym. Honestly, I've had a number of people encourage me and say kind things and no one has ever been rude.

Even if someone IS rude to me, I'll take it with a grain of salt because I AM WORKING OUT, not hiding at home looking at TV, playing video games, or stuffing my face. I am doing something positive for myself. I am taking control of my life in a healthy way. If someone doesn't like watching my red faced, sweaty self labor away building muscle and burning calories, it is truly THEIR PROBLEM. Much like church is where sinners go to learn how to live a better life, the gym is where I go to learn how to build a better body.

Don't get me wrong, my ego can be pretty fragile at times, and words do wound, but this is something I know.

Hang in there. Don't think about the way you look when working out, think about the way you'll look and feel once you're at a healthy weight.

You go girl!
  • Lannister80
    Options
    I always felt that the people at the gym would look at me jogging and think that I was going to pass out. My husband actually accompanied me the first few wks...we had to cancel our dual membership right now thanks to $$ being tight, but the gym lets him come in with me as support. He just sits off to the side with the iPad or a book. It made me feel better to know I had backup of sorts. He hasn't done that in awhile bc I've finally started getting confident, but it means the world that he supports me so much.
  • GabbyGlitch
    GabbyGlitch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I restarted my weight loss journey with MFP. I am amazing and awed by how supportive and wonderful everyone has been on this site. You guys have made me feel so good and it's amazing to not feel alone. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. It is life changing.
  • lkh1234
    lkh1234 Posts: 41
    Options
    I was riding my bike one day on a rural quiet country road that has no traffic. A truck did happen to be coming behind me so I was sure to not be in the way. As he passed me by I saw his arm come out the window.....I thought he must know me and was gonna wave..........ummmm nope. He proceded to flip me the middle finger. I was just amazed and got angrier the more I thought about it. Some people are just no good. It hurt my feelings a small bit but I can assure you I will still ride my bike....walk etc.:smile:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    anyone who feels embarrassed or self-conscious running or working out at all really, should read this. you may need a Kleenex.

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    So creepy because I just posted a status about being embarrassed. I always am, and even when I go on walks in the neighborhood. Actually, that's worse. People see me and make fun of me, but really I try to ignore because I'm trying to do something about it. It does make me sad, though. Even at the gym people would make comments :/
  • ctfrigg
    ctfrigg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We have all been there with feeling insecure about working out in front of others regardless of what size you are. From my experience, most people are too busy doing their own thing to worry about you. And even if they did - Who Cares?! You are doing the most wonderful thing for yourself and getting healthy! Once you get used to it and start feeling and seeing the amazing things that start happening to your body and mind you won't care anymore either. Don't give up. We are all working out next to you and cheering you on.