Is it healthy/okay/safe to lose weight while pregnant?

Options
I'm not pregnant but am just curious. Say if one is well overweight or even obese, if they were to lose weight whether on purpose or not while pregnant, is that okay?

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Someone who is very heavy can lose weight while pregnant but it should never be done without the doctors supervision. The most success I've seen is friends that had gestational diabetes and had to eat a very specific diet. It worked out that they didn't gain much and then after baby, they were under their starting weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Only under doctor's supervision and advice.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the starting weight. I lost 15 pounds in the first trimester of my first pregnancy (and 10 in my second); neither time was I overweight. Both times it was due to major morning sickness, and not because I tried to, though. In the end, I gained the recommended amount of weight (okay, the first time. The second time, I went a bit crazy and ate a lot of taquitos, leading to me ballooning), so full-term I was only 15 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight.

If someone's extremely obese, a doctor might recommend they lose weight, even during pregnancy; otherwise, they might suggest the mother-to-be maintain their weight. That would, more or less, involve losing fat weight at roughly the same rate as she gained the pregnancy weight (fetus, extra blood, placenta & fluids). It's not usually recommended that women who are at a healthy weight try to lose. If they're underweight, a doctor might suggest they gain more than the recommended 25-30 pounds- especially if the mother is planning on breastfeeding.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my daughter who is now 3 1/2. I was about 40-50 lbs heavier then. I've lost 60 and kept it off. But I only gained 7 lbs with her the whole pregnancy and they wanted me to gain more weight even though I was slightly overweight. Because the mom gaining weight goes to the baby. But I ate healthy the whole pregnancy and I was already dieting and walking daily before I got pregnant with her. I lost 12 lbs about a month before I got pregnant with her so I just continued exactly what I was doing, mostly just doubled my healthy food intake really. So I would say no on the losing weight. Even if your 100 lbs over weight and got pregnant you still need to gain weight but HEALTHY foods! Lots of healthy foods!
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Lots of women have m/s severe enough to lose weight and have healthy babies. I doubt it would ever be recommended to intentionally lose weight once pregnant, though. The time for that is before TTC.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the starting weight. I lost 15 pounds in the first trimester of my first pregnancy (and 10 in my second); neither time was I overweight. Both times it was due to major morning sickness, and not because I tried to, though. In the end, I gained the recommended amount of weight (okay, the first time. The second time, I went a bit crazy and ate a lot of taquitos, leading to me ballooning), so full-term I was only 15 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight.

If someone's extremely obese, a doctor might recommend they lose weight, even during pregnancy; otherwise, they might suggest the mother-to-be maintain their weight. That would, more or less, involve losing fat weight at roughly the same rate as she gained the pregnancy weight (fetus, extra blood, placenta & fluids). It's not usually recommended that women who are at a healthy weight try to lose. If they're underweight, a doctor might suggest they gain more than the recommended 25-30 pounds- especially if the mother is planning on breastfeeding.

I think losing because of extreme morning sickness is another matter entirely. That's not something that you're doing intentionally.

I struggled to gain with my twins but I was so sick, it was awful. It wasn't until I started drinking protein shakes that I started gaining, and that wasn't until I was 20 weeks along.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

I think losing because of extreme morning sickness is another matter entirely. That's not something that you're doing intentionally.

I struggled to gain with my twins but I was so sick, it was awful. It wasn't until I started drinking protein shakes that I started gaining, and that wasn't until I was 20 weeks along.

Oh, I absolutely agree. My point was more that I lost that weight while being at a healthy weight (probably on the low side of healthy during the first pregnancy), and that my doctor wasn't concerned about it. As a result, I concluded that a certain amount of weight loss (intentional or not) is probably not going to put a person at risk; however, you'd be hard-pressed to find a doctor who'd recommend doing it intentionally unless you were overweight/obese.
  • BorntoROAR
    BorntoROAR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner, so I work with pregnant women, and NO it is never advised to diet or lose weight during pregnancy, regardless of how heavy you are!!

HOWEVER, that being said.....you will be advised to eat healthy, increase your protein intake and follow a recommended number of calories which will be about 300 calories above what your maintenance calories are. When you are breastfeeding (if you plan on that), you will need to eat an additional 500 calories above your calories. You CAN exercise during pregnancy if you were doing it BEFORE you got pregnant. Even if you weren't, I would advise you to get out and walk daily. Drink lots of water.

Remember, your blood volume doubles in pregnancy so that is a weight gain you will have no control over. Also most people gain the most weight during the end of their pregnancy. I've seen many women gain nothing during the first 3 months of their pregnancy and that is okay! Recommended weight gain for a women who is at a healthy BMI is 25-35 lbs. If you are overweight or even obese, it is 10-20 lbs.

Now all this goes out the window if you get hyperemesis gravidarum, which is an extreme form of morning sickness where you cannot hold anything down. At that time, you would be admitted to a hospital to receive IV fluids.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when pregnant, and my doctor required that I gain weight at each visit.
  • MommaSari
    MommaSari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs since February. In June I found out I was pregnant. It's a hard transition going from loosing weight to "gaining" weight. Even though we have been TTC for four years, it was still hard. I'm just starting to wrap my brain around it. But, I know it's not healthy to try and loose weight while pregnant. In order for baby to grow and be healthy it needs nutrients, not a diet! After baby is born, I will go back to working out hard and working on weight loss...though I am breast feeding so I know some of that will be a little more difficult. It's all about the baby right now. :)
  • MommaSari
    MommaSari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have gained about 9 back so far..hence the 16lbs lost sign..
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, no. Only if the person were advised and supervised by her doctor would this be okay. It's best to lose weight before pregnancy, if possible.
  • missprisslifts
    missprisslifts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a doctor, and think that in certain instances (eg. morbid obesity) it is certainly recommended for a woman to lose weight whilst pregnant, as the risk to the foetus by being an overweight mother would outweigh (no pun intended) the risk of weight loss.

I think that overweight women falling pregnant should focus on maintaining weight (if significantly overweight), or at least only having minimal weight gain (if moderately overweight).

There are guidelines, probably different between countries, of weight gain during pregnancy dependant on pre-pregnancy weight.
  • stacyemmynik
    stacyemmynik Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    With my second pregnancy I started out at 176lbs. I delivered at 190lbs. My baby was 8lbs 8oz. I left the hospital weighing 163lbs. I technically lost weight during my pregnancy. My midwife was riding me hard cuz I didn't gain any weight until the last month (at one point I had lost a couple pounds). I didn't try to lose weight or anything during my pregnancy its just how it worked out.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    With my last son now 18 mths, I exercised my whole pregnancy under dr supervision. I lifted up to 20 lbs only, walked on tredmill and used a stationary bike. Sit ups, crunches, and lifting laying on my bk were off limits. I was 182 gained 12 lbs. My son was born 5lbs healthy and full term. Again always use dr. supervision.
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think that overweight women falling pregnant should focus on maintaining weight (if significantly overweight), or at least only having minimal weight gain (if moderately overweight).

This is what my doctor told me as well. I wasn't allowed to lose weight (beyond the initial morning sickness phase), but I was allowed to maintain my pre-pregnancy weight throughout the pregnancy.
  • RashaePree
    RashaePree Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For my last two pregnancies and my current one I lost weight. My first one I lost 20lbs, my second I lost 14 lbs, my current one so far i have lost about 5lbs. Also my kids were 9lbs, and 7lbs 9oz. My doctor stated there is no risk with me losing weight. I'm not super skinny but i'm not really big either. According to the dr's BMI chart (which i think is a bunch of bs, sry any dr's that think otherwise.) I'm obese. If you look at me you wouldn't see an obese person. Anyway I think depending on circumstance it may be healthy/okay/safe to lose weight during pregnancy.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that you should never purposely diet to lose weight while pregnant. There are some women, myself included, who may lose some weight during pregnancy. That is (most of the time) normal.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Only under doctor's supervision and advice.

^^^ this, because in some circumstances, i.e. severe obesity or when there's pregnancy complications caused by obesity, it's advisable to either not gain the amount of weight they usually recommend, or even to lose weight during pregnancy, but it's done under medical supervision.

accidental weight loss during pregnancy should be discussed with your midwife or ob-gyn, there may be a medical issue causing it that needs to be addressed.

deliberate weight loss is not advisable except for medical reasons under medical supervision, i.e. let the ob gyn decide if you need to lose weight or not during pregnancy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did in my first 2 trimesters.

But...that is because when I was pregnant and in the military they had a rule...no exercise except light walking...I couldn't even lift my own helmet cause it was to heavy. BAD IDEA....dummies

I was in great shape and lost weight due to muscle mass loss....then when the doctor saw me loosing weight she put me on a "special diet" to gain again dumb...so I did in my last trimester and it was all fat.

That being said I know other woman who were obese and lost weight during pregnancy and were eating lots...carrying a baby is about the equivalent of climbing a mountian (according to my aunt who is an ob/gyn) and will use lots of calories so if you are bigger you may loose weight.