Lethargic; please help me?

Options
Restlessme
Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
Hi all, I wasn't sure if food and nutrition was the proper place to post this question, but I figured why not try?

Lately (the past 2 weeks I'd like to say) I've been extremely sluggish and just not up for anything. My diary is open so please feel free to take a look and see if perhaps my eating isn't the best (I've a slave to sugar) and I'm open to any and ALL suggestions.

Perhaps I'm not getting the proper vitamins that I should be taking in or something similar? I have been taking GNC women's multi-vitamin for about 3 weeks and while I haven't noticed a huge difference...I've been consistent with taking them.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Hmm, it seems alright. Sugar can cause hills and dips when it comes to energy, but it sounds like your fatigue is a little more chronic. Has there been any other changes in your lifestyle, especially in terms of sleep? Have you been sick recently?

Upping protein and slower-burning carbs may help to give you a longer burn time. Although, I'm a bit of a sugar fiend myself and haven't experience anything more than the mid-afternoon slump.
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Well I only looked at your intake for yesterday I think you need to eat more. You're not sufficiently fueled so that's why you're tired.

Edit: I just noticed your calorie goal so you may very well be eating enough. I just looked at yesterday's intake and it seems like your lunch could have been more of a meal than just a cereal bar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    IMHO, a combination of a deficit of calories plus not getting proper nutrition. Where are the veggies and fruit? I don't think you're getting your vitamins and minerals. When you're eating at a deficit of calories, it's that much harder to get your proper nutrition...so getting your veggies and a serving or two of fruit becomes that much more imperative.

You may also want to reconsider your calorie goal. What's your loss rate goal? It looks like 1.5 or 2 lbs per week to me judging by your calorie goal...maybe dial that back to 1 Lb per week.

Also, what kind of exercise do you do and how often? Exercise, along with proper fuel will help you feel better.

Remember, balanced diet...get your veg and fruit but don't ignore your essential, healthy fats and adequate protein intake.
  • Restlessme
    Options
    IMHO, a combination of a deficit of calories plus not getting proper nutrition. Where are the veggies and fruit? I don't think you're getting your vitamins and minerals. When you're eating at a deficit of calories, it's that much harder to get your proper nutrition...so getting your veggies and a serving or two of fruit becomes that much more imperative.

You may also want to reconsider your calorie goal. What's your loss rate goal? It looks like 1.5 or 2 lbs per week to me judging by your calorie goal...maybe dial that back to 1 Lb per week.

Also, what kind of exercise do you do and how often? Exercise, along with proper fuel will help you feel better.

Remember, balanced diet...get your veg and fruit but don't ignore your essential, healthy fats and adequate protein intake.

I'll admit my veggies and fruit have been even lower than normal, but they weren't that high to begin with. I've been at the calorie goal 1350 for quite sometime after upping it from 1200 (yes I know), so would that really be a factor of my feeling so tired?

I've been going to the gym and doing moderate (machine-assisted) weight lifting along with running on the treadmill or outside. I've been trying to exercise at least every day if not every other day, but usually on the weekends, I don't exercise at all.
    Hmm, it seems alright. Sugar can cause hills and dips when it comes to energy, but it sounds like your fatigue is a little more chronic. Has there been any other changes in your lifestyle, especially in terms of sleep? Have you been sick recently?

Upping protein and slower-burning carbs may help to give you a longer burn time. Although, I'm a bit of a sugar fiend myself and haven't experience anything more than the mid-afternoon slump.

I want to say there haven't been too many significant changes to my lifestyle lately, but my sleep has been a bit iffy. The main reason for that is a terrible mattress, but I still feel like I get enough sleep. I do sincerely need to add higher quality proteins into my diet, I know that for a fact; yet I haven't made the steps to put that into action.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You seem to eat lots of prepared and fast food. Perhaps start encorporating more home-cooked food plus fruits and vegetables. I definitely think that your diet is to blame for your lack of energy.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Add vitamin D and magnesium to your supplement regime.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I would ditch all the processed foods and start eating more fresh foods. Ditch the cookies and bars for meals and have fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. Fast food and processed food is not going to help you. I feel run down and have no energy when all I'm eating is crap foods.

Have eggs and fruit for breakfast... salad with chicken for lunch, or a sandwich or wrap... have a lean protein with some veggies for dinner combined with healthy snacks. I would bet if you change up what you are eating you will find you start to feel better.
  • JustUla
    JustUla Posts: 20
    Options
    Too many processed foods. You need to cook more! :) If you switch your diet to mostly whole foods, I guarantee you'll feel better quickly. It does not have to be complicated or time-consuming to prepare healthy homemade meals. Check the Recipes forum for some ideas, or friend me and I'd be happy to send you some of my recipes. I have been cooking for my family for a long time, but at your age I didn't know the first thing about cooking! LOL :)
    ETA: Congratulations on the successful weight loss you have had so far!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Maybe try taking a short diet break, for about 2 weeks. Can do wonders for your leptin levels and other things. Providing you don't over eat and just eat to your "hunger" (usually maintenance levels) - don't listen to the nonsense of clean eating, in 2013 it is not sustainable for the majority of people, especially the younger generation. Food is food.

I noticed a few 400 calorie days, was that due to not tracking or that was all you ate?

1350 calories isn't too bad, I went as low as that 4 days a week on rest days when I wasn't at the gym, I did that for a good 6 months.

If you need anymore help could give me a PM if i miss this topic again!
  • Restlessme
    Options
    Maybe try taking a short diet break, for about 2 weeks. Can do wonders for your leptin levels and other things. Providing you don't over eat and just eat to your "hunger" (usually maintenance levels) - don't listen to the nonsense of clean eating, in 2013 it is not sustainable for the majority of people, especially the younger generation. Food is food.

I noticed a few 400 calorie days, was that due to not tracking or that was all you ate?

1350 calories isn't too bad, I went as low as that 4 days a week on rest days when I wasn't at the gym, I did that for a good 6 months.

I honestly may try a short "diet" break as suggested, even if only to see that I'm better at controlling my "eat when bored" vibes.

On the 400 calorie days, the few there were, most likely I was tracking. Some days I do wake up and I'm sincerely not hungry or I just snack on that one item the entire day, not a good habit I realize. Thanks so much for your feedback!
    Too many processed foods. You need to cook more! :) If you switch your diet to mostly whole foods, I guarantee you'll feel better quickly. It does not have to be complicated or time-consuming to prepare healthy homemade meals. Check the Recipes forum for some ideas, or friend me and I'd be happy to send you some of my recipes. I have been cooking for my family for a long time, but at your age I didn't know the first thing about cooking! LOL :)
    ETA: Congratulations on the successful weight loss you have had so far!

I would really love to start cooking more with the cheapest foods possible :)
    I'll definitely start looking at the recipes forum much more than I have been and thank you so much! :flowerforyou:

To everyone else, I'll definitely start trying to better the things I eat for my day and perhaps instead of spending all day on reddit, I'll actually meal plan and cook for the week. Thank you :)
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Hey again, I strongly advise you read this, it is very important to what you are experiencing..

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

the whole website is useful for you.

And that woman that said you need to cook, and eat unprocessed food is talking nonsense.. just hit your numbers.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    This is kind of basic, but....are you getting enough sleep?

I do agree with those who say more veggies, fruits and basic ingredients. Learn how to cook some simple, quick dishes with ingredients from the perimeter of the supermarket (the perimeter is where they put "real" food--fresh produce, dairy, meats, fish--as opposed to the aisles of mostly processed foods).
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at your diary nor read all of the responses...however, I would consider getting a physical and blood work if you haven't had one recently. Not to scare you, but I had mild headaches for a year, which were chalked up to tension headaches. Then my next symptom that started was fatigue which quickly progressed from mild to extreme. Fast forward to January of this year and I was diagnosed with a rare brain disorder that resulted in me having brain surgery this year. I am going great, but probably only because I went to the doctor when I knew something just wasn't right about the way I was feeling.
  • JustUla
    JustUla Posts: 20
    Options
    And that woman that said you need to cook, and eat unprocessed food is talking nonsense.. just hit your numbers.

Hi there!
    I won't attack you personally like you did me, but I will say this. I agree with you that in order to lose weight all she has to do is "hit her numbers", yes this is true. If you go back and look at the OP, she asked about why she is feeling lethargic. She did not ask how to lose weight. Clearly she has been successful with weight loss. She is looking for advice on how to feel better. I looked at her diary and noticed she has mostly been eating processed foods. Eating unprocessed foods is one way that I personally have found helps me FEEL BETTER, which was what she asked about. I was just trying to help, and I don't understand why you have taken the time to call me out twice for "talking nonsense." I seem to have hit a nerve, and I apologize for that. Have a great day.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Lethargy: Awful feeling. I hope you can find some answers. Good luck. I might suggest the obvious - have you looked at your recent sleep patterns? Had a fairly recent physical? Any work or social stress factors that are adding up for you? I have found that sometimes it is a combination of the above and me not eating well. I do feel for you and hope you find some answers. I'm new to MFP but have been so grateful to the more experienced people who post what they have learned and experienced and learned.
  • kennytenny
    Options
    I have had the same issue in the past and sometimes it comes back from time to time.

Many of the suggestions on here are good; however, I would suggest having a doctor give you a health evaluation that includes blood work. I believe that getting a health evaluation prior to starting a significant diet / fitness plan. It is always better to see a physician that works with fitness and/or weight loss.

A few things that you may want to consider as causes of your lethargy:

1. Vitamin deficiency (especially and D if you spend a lot of time indoors).
    ***Lethargy can be a symptom of Iron deficiency.

2. Getting at least 8 hours of sleep and going to bed before midnight. Your body functions on a Circadian rhythm and it becomes more sensitive to sleep cycles as you age).

3. Lower your stress levels...if you cannot control this, then try Yoga.

4. Eat an all natural (100% organic) diet if possible. Avoid processed foods and lower your intake of high glycemic fruits (i.e. bananas, raisins, etc). It is always best to be a vegetarian, but if this is not possible...try to at least consume a diet of 70% vegetables (include Kale, Spinach, etc).

I hope this helps.

Also...I use Delicious Earth non-denatured protein for my dietary needs. www.DeliciousEarth.net
  • cmoore806
    Options
    there's a lot of talk here about specific vitamins/etc and I dont know if that is exactly the answer. I cant figure out how to see your diary but I think it is important to remember that your body is fueled by carbs and you need to find nutritious sources of carbs (other than processed sugar aka empty calories). Depending on your activity level you should go for 50% or more of your total calories from carbs. Highly active people/athletes could go up to 60% carbs

Someone posted earlier about more protein but your muscles are only 20% protein and then water,phosphates and other things. Extra protein in a diet is not translated directly into muscle...it puts a load on your kidneys that isnt necessary. Carbs are fuel for your muscles and brain, if you are feeling lethargic then you are out of gas!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Restlessme
    Options
    Thank you everyone immensely for all of the advice/help!

I'm busy creating a grocery list of healthier foods to purchase this weekend and intend to be more proactive in preparing my foods ahead of time. :heart:
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Hi there!
    I won't attack you personally like you did me, but I will say this. I agree with you that in order to lose weight all she has to do is "hit her numbers", yes this is true. If you go back and look at the OP, she asked about why she is feeling lethargic. She did not ask how to lose weight. Clearly she has been successful with weight loss. She is looking for advice on how to feel better. I looked at her diary and noticed she has mostly been eating processed foods. Eating unprocessed foods is one way that I personally have found helps me FEEL BETTER, which was what she asked about. I was just trying to help, and I don't understand why you have taken the time to call me out twice for "talking nonsense." I seem to have hit a nerve, and I apologize for that. Have a great day.
    :flowerforyou: