Menstrual cycle

Options
I weigh myself every Monday, but I have my monthly. Should I weigh myself when it's done or should I weigh myself Monday and not worry if they scale didn't move?

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It depends on alot of things. Most of which are personal preference.

Personally, I would. I weigh daily (well used to but rarely do at all now). I'm used to fluctuations so they dont freak me out. If you are logical about it ie you know you have been eating at a deficit for loss all week then you can stand on scales knowing that the fluctuation is just menstrual. As to whether or not you log it is up to you. I never logged gains at all but some women like to keep track of them and learn from them. You might actually find you still show a loss. I found that when my weight loss slowed down I would only lose just before period. This would motivate me to continue to eat well (can be hard i know) during period so that the loss was still there once the cycle was over.

Maybe try it. If you dont like the psychological effect that it has, then don't repeat.
  • delfonzo2000
    delfonzo2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally don't bother weighing in at all during my period. I usually gain about 5 pounds in water, and even though I know that it's just water retention, I can still feel really discouraged. Totally irrational, I know. But it keeps me going and (somewhat) sane!
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I continue to weigh and take any gain with a grain of salt in case there is some water retention happening.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I don't bother weighing during 'shark week' or the week after, because I'm known to binge during. I'm anemic and when it hits, I start eating everything in sight. The week of, it's pointless. I know I'm going to go over my limit. I just will. The week after, I'm fixing the damage done, and then I weigh the week after that, usually every day, for a couple of weeks and then don't go near the scales again once it starts up again. Maybe one day, when I get the menstrual munchies under control and can stick to my goals on those days, I'll start getting on the scales again during, but until then, it'll just add depression to that week.
  • Rainorshine2013
    Rainorshine2013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you are a bit on the sensitive side i would say skip that monday, If you can chaulk it up to oh its just a couple of pounds "due to" then i say go ahead and weigh then it wont break your routine either and most likely that bloat weight will have dissappeared by the next monday! :drinker:
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm debating still, I will probably do it Monday and if I see weight gain I will leave it as that and not write it down, and then the next Monday go back to logging the updates.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I personally don't bother weighing in at all during my period. I usually gain about 5 pounds in water, and even though I know that it's just water retention, I can still feel really discouraged. Totally irrational, I know. But it keeps me going and (somewhat) sane!

This is me as well. I don't record it but I still get on the scale. Another person also said that if you continue to eat well and keep up with your exercise, you won't be so surprised. Good advice IMHO.