Weightloss on a SERIOUS budget?

Options
Hi, I'm Misty from Pittsburgh. I'm 5'3" and currently weighing in at 234lbs with a small/medium natural frame. My goal is to lose 100lbs in a year to be a much healthier weight. I'm doing this for me and my self-esteem. I need this for me. How can anyone love someone who doesn't love herself? :) Truth is told here. Anyway, I just want to chat with others who feel the same struggles as I do so I came to myfitnesspal. I'm hoping to keep up with this site! If anyone wants to become a support team, add me! I try to stay optimistic so you can always count on me for moral support!! Also any tips and suggestions are welcome for a more wallet-friendly budget. I currently am not going to the gym because I can't decide on two: SNAP or Planet Fitness. PF is 20 minutes away and only $20 a month, whereas Snap is 7 minutes away but it's $40 a month! Decisions, decisions! Also, I look for saving money anywhere including food, diets, exercises, etc. Thanks!! :)

- Misty

Replies

• bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be a member of a gym? What would you use it for? Just wondering b/c i'm a bit different. I prefer to work out outside and just use my own body weight for strength building. A lot of people on MFP love to lift weights, is that why you are looking for a gym?
  • tochatty
    tochatty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

1.) as far as ways to save money on diet, food, etc. I would suggest don't look at MFP as a "diet". For me it was a lifestyle change that has to be done long term. There is not an option to quit when it is life. Budget wise, I try to find recipes where I can make casseroles, or use the crockpot, and that way one recipe makes several servings. I try to limit how many times I go out to eat and by being prepared and planning my meals for the week can help me.

2.) As for gyms, if finances are an issue for you, perhaps you can just rent DVD's for now and work out at home. I know for myself, if I have to much drive time to get to the gym, its to many distractions for me and I end up finding an excuse not to go. This is me of course and so my gym is very close and it is between home and work, so there is no excuse, but I do pay a higher price then one that is further away.

You can lose weight on a budget, for one MFP is free. Walking outside or a track at the school is free. Renting exercise DVDs from a local library is free. You can do this, its just all how you look at it. Not a diet, but rather a lifestyle.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sod the gym! I was paying $100 a month for the gym (I went 5 x a week for 45mins a time and was steadily putting on weight) until this year when I ditched it in favour of doing Jillian Michael workout DVDs at home (5 x a week 30-60mins a time). You can find these free on Youtube - I started with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

BOOM, the weight started coming off, I looked more toned within a week and I just womble down the hall to my study to do my work out in the morning - I can even do the warm up in my pjs!

No carrying around a bag of stinky gym gear and a towel, no gym contracts, no having to deal with other people, I love it.

In regard to diet - buy your produce from a farmer's market or vege/fruit shop - NOT the supermarket as they charge more.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    First of all welcome!!!

You can do this!

You don't need to stinkin' gym!

Get yourself one of those cheap pedometers and walk. A lot. Walk at work. Walk the mall. Do extra laps when you grocery shop. Just keep walking.

Find some heavy things at home and lift them.
    A gallon of milk.
    a four year old (mine is exactly 40 pounds)
    Some text books

Don't shop at high class health food stores. Everything is overpriced. salads, Veggies, fruits, chicken, turkey and water are your new best friends.

YouTube is your friend

You can do it!
  • itsmistyoutside1
    Options
    Why do you want to be a member of a gym? What would you use it for? Just wondering b/c i'm a bit different. I prefer to work out outside and just use my own body weight for strength building. A lot of people on MFP love to lift weights, is that why you are looking for a gym?

I used to go to a gym and I felt that I lost more weight when I did. I don't want to be a body builder so lifting weights is out for me! :) I prefer cardio. I do love outdoor exercise too! I just for some reason feel more motivated to go to the gym. One, because it is practically my alone time (I am ALWAYS surrounded by people I have to talk to for my job) so it's basically an escape, and two it's less of a hassle to workout indoors since I live around such a busy area. I just prefer a gym. It's relaxing (weight, right?). I don't have any kids or a husband so I'm set in making time for me. For a lot of my older teenage years I went to the gym 5 days a week just because I enjoy it, then college came about and I gained weight, not. So I guess maybe I just like familiarity.

Thanks for the food tips! I eat pretty healthy for the most part (I have an allergy to a lot of processed foods!) so that's not the issue, just the price would be nice. How can a supermarket charge so much for a vegetable?! It's cheaper to buy food like Ramen and oreo cookies than it is to buy fresh food because those last, unlike veggies and meats.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

I used to go to a gym and I felt that I lost more weight when I did. I don't want to be a body builder so lifting weights is out for me! :) I prefer cardio. I do love outdoor exercise too! I just for some reason feel more motivated to go to the gym. One, because it is practically my alone time (I am ALWAYS surrounded by people I have to talk to for my job) so it's basically an escape, and two it's less of a hassle to workout indoors since I live around such a busy area. I just prefer a gym. It's relaxing (weight, right?). I don't have any kids or a husband so I'm set in making time for me. For a lot of my older teenage years I went to the gym 5 days a week just because I enjoy it, then college came about and I gained weight, not. So I guess maybe I just like familiarity.

Thanks for the food tips! I eat pretty healthy for the most part (I have an allergy to a lot of processed foods!) so that's not the issue, just the price would be nice. How can a supermarket charge so much for a vegetable?! It's cheaper to buy food like Ramen and oreo cookies than it is to buy fresh food because those last, unlike veggies and meats.

Oh my.. You have the wrong perception of lifting weights. But I won't even go there...

good luck
  • cnr0905
    cnr0905 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    well i pondered replying to this but hear goes. no offense i dont wanna be the bad guy but to me, it sounds like an excuse not to go to the gym cause you cant chose which one?????c'mon now thats silly. pick one and go to it. also i see lotsa replys to NOT hit the gym....REALLY??????? i had/have a home gym and NEVER use it, why you ask? because its easier to watch tv or munch on snacks instead of getting on my wieder home gym, but when you have to get up ( and this is where the motivation comes in ) go to the gym and actually get your moneys worth then its a different story. listen i go 5 days a week and it took about a month to be a habit. dont give up and keep the motivation or your never gonna make it. my thoughts only
  • cfamiano
    Options
    try the app swork it. its free and amazing!!!!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Misty from Pittsburgh. I'm 5'3" and currently weighing in at 234lbs with a small/medium natural frame. My goal is to lose 100lbs in a year to be a much healthier weight. I'm doing this for me and my self-esteem. I need this for me. How can anyone love someone who doesn't love herself? :) Truth is told here. Anyway, I just want to chat with others who feel the same struggles as I do so I came to myfitnesspal. I'm hoping to keep up with this site! If anyone wants to become a support team, add me! I try to stay optimistic so you can always count on me for moral support!! Also any tips and suggestions are welcome for a more wallet-friendly budget. I currently am not going to the gym because I can't decide on two: SNAP or Planet Fitness. PF is 20 minutes away and only $20 a month, whereas Snap is 7 minutes away but it's $40 a month! Decisions, decisions! Also, I look for saving money anywhere including food, diets, exercises, etc. Thanks!! :)

- Misty

Take in your mileage into account also and factor in how much EXTRA in gas your paying to go to PF then to the Snap and the difference is not nearly as bad
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i hear you on the money issue, and trust me the biggest hit will be increase in food costs. gyms, even the cheaper ones you mentioned, would really only make financial sense if you were doing some serious lifting with not so cheap equipment.

i would say do your research with librarys, instructional videos, and the like. have good form, get your heart rate up, and run out of breath, repeat. weight is simple to find, there are rocks of all sizes all around you, but i would start with using your own body mass as a weight. step ups, squats, lunges (they suck, but they work), push ups, all good stuff using your own body as resistance.

now for food, i dont know your situation, but a garden is a great way to burn off some calories, and generate food at the same time. the best advice i can give is learn how to cook everything, the cost of prepared foods Vs home-made will balance out sometimes, but generally the nutrition is higher in home-made.

as someone who's closing in on my own first 100 pounds off, its a hard road, it will be bumpy, but so long as you keep moving forward, the finish line is always getting closer.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    How will you get to the gym? If driving, maybe the closer, but more expensive one is better-- because you'll spend the extra $20 in gas going to the far away gym so much (right? Because you're going to go 4-5 x a week!!) So if you plan to go often, I'd say go closer, spend the extra and save gas! You'll probably be more motivated to go as well if it's a shorter 'trip'. You'll be adding an extra1/2 hour to your whole trip each time by choosing the far (but cheaper) option. Your time is worth something as well!!!

As for actually going to a gym, I never joined a gym. I found a few classes I liked (aerobics, kickboxing etc) but also swam a alot (do you have a friend with a pool?) and walking/running. On some days I do my cardio in front of the TV (just run in place, do some aerobics moves!) and lift small weights. do crunches etc. You certainly don't HAVE to have a gym membership. I never did and I lost 80lbs in a year, and have been keeping it off by swimming, walking, doing some cardio/weights at home. NO GYMS!!

I do have tons of food ideas... but that will have to be another time, as I have to run. BUt keep your eyes on the frums, people are always posting good recipes and $ saving tips!

Good luck!
  • Sassyandsexymommy
    Sassyandsexymommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This site is a great tool for you to use.

My suggestions are to skip the gym for now unless you need a place to "go" work out and that will motivate you. Also wait to see if the gyms run specials on memberships. I had a membership to PF for $10 if I signed up for automatic withdrawal. Use your public library to check out workout DVDs and weight-loss cookbooks. Find something physical you love to do. Dancing, walking, riding a bike, yoga. Something you enjoy will make it easier to stay active. I hate running but find lots of fun riding my bike. It is something I won't talk myself out of doing.
    As for food, I would limit processed stuff. Expensive and not as good for you. Keep your shopping to the "perimeter of the store". Going vegetarian couple times a week will help save on money too. Buying chicken breast in bulk when on sale and freezing portions. Drinking only water will help save money and help with weight loss.

Don't give up, you can do this. :-)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I would decide on about 3-4 workout dvd's and workout at home. I'm considering ending my gym membership, as my dvd's along with the weights I bought will get me where I want to be.

Feel free to add me!
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You should really try to incorporate weight lifting. I love to do alternate activities like tire flips, sledgehammer swings, and buddy carries (grab your friend, toss them over your should and walk/jog a ways). If you do get a gym membership, then find activities that you love that will help to build muscle. Weight lifting is really a great way to burn calories and fat.
  • Wichita_Slims
    Options
    For me the gym was the way to go. I have a membership to the Y and I like it because I can take their free classes or use their machines to keep my workouts interesting and to know that I am doing them correctly so as to not hurt myself. I am also on a tight budget and for me making sacrifices in other expenses (I don't have cable, cheeped out on a phone, I rarely eat out or go to the movies, etc.) allows me to free up some money in my budget to pay for my membership.

In regards to budget friendly health foods. I look at the sale adds each week and decide what inexpensive meals I can make. I shop at Aldi's for produce and cook a bunch on the weekends and freeze my meals for the week. I like to have multiple meal options in the freezer so that I feel like I still have some variety in my diet. My fav cheap health food is eggs :)

If you decide to go for a gym membership I would recommend it would be more important to get there then to decide which one. What I mean by that is if you need a workout buddy, a gym on your way home from work, a gym that fits your needs (as each one has their own culture in my experience), or a gym in walking distance to save on gas just go for it!!!!!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    here its actually CHEAPER to get your veggies from a health food store (we have sprouts, not whole foods- that place is way too expensive) i was at walmart the other day and was blown away by their produce prices and how expensive things were there. also a lot of the time ethnic grocery stores (here we have lots of mexican supermarkets) are WAY cheaper too.

as far as the gym- is the extra 20 bucks a month a worry if it will save you time and gas? unless its right next to your work or something else convenient i would say go with what is nearby. I personally won't workout unless i go to the gym- doing stuff at home just doesn't put me in the right mindset, plus i like lifting really heavy things :)

good luck!
  • proudmommyof4angels
    Options
    You don't always need a gym....I'm a new mom of a 2 month old. don't really have time for the gym, but I had $20 to spare and got my hands on Shaun T fat burning cardio. I started on 7/10. I follow a 1200 cal diet and workout 30 min 4x/wk & have lost 11 lbs and some inches from various areas on my body. My goal is to lose 113 lbs total so I'm on my way Good luck with your weight loss and if you need add me and we can help motivate each other :smile:
  • itsmistyoutside1
    Options

Oh my.. You have the wrong perception of lifting weights. But I won't even go there...

good luck

I was making a joke about being a body builder. I have the correct perception of lifting weights, and I obviously have done plenty of that in the past. I know what it can do for the body. I, however, want to stay on more of a cardio track (obviously I'll include weights..) but I'm looking to get more fit and heart healthy than to bulk up. People always go wrong and do weights, weights, weights, instead of getting on a treadmill or even getting outside to ride a bike.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options

[/quote]

good luck
    [/quote]

I was making a joke about being a body builder. I have the correct perception of lifting weights, and I obviously have done plenty of that in the past. I know what it can do for the body. I, however, want to stay on more of a cardio track (obviously I'll include weights..) but I'm looking to get more fit and heart healthy than to bulk up. People always go wrong and do weights, weights, weights, instead of getting on a treadmill or even getting outside to ride a bike.
    [/quote]

There are so many things wrong here. You say you have the correct perception of weights, but that you don't want to bulk up. Bulking up is not what happens when most ladies lift weights. People go wrong and do weights? Whats wrong with weights? How can you have the correct perception of weights, and then say they are wrong? No one said don't do any cardio at all and only lift, ever. I have to say, once I picked up the weights, in addition to my cardio and circuits training, my own weight went down steadily and I'm the smallest I've been since high school. And yeah, I'm so bulky at 116 lbs! I'm also on a budget and can't afford a gym. I workout at home.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your local pawn shop that sells dvds. They ALWAYS have workout dvds people used once and gave up on and they're usually one or two dollars.