LAP BAND anyone?

Options
Hi all! I'm new to the site... has anyone had LAP-BAND surgery or any other WLS? Looking for folks that are on the same train as I am... or anyone who can be a motivational "study buddy!" :)

Replies

• bridgett28
    bridgett28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass in Dec of 2009. I am assuming that you had the lap band? If so, when?
  • RadioGirl311
    Options
    Yep, I had the LAP BAND procedure done in December of 2009. How are things going with the BP for you?
  • GrammiBarb
    Options
    I got my Lap Band November 1, 2005. Three months later, my husband had a brain hemmorhage, so my weight loss got put on hold while I took care of him. The second year, I had a total knee replacement and could finally do some exercises after years of not doing anything. I lost slowly, but at least I was losing. The beginning of this year, I was down to half (426 to 213).

Now my husband has been diagnoised with diabetes, and I VERY STUPIDLY, appointed myself to get all the sweets and junk food out of the house. After gaining back 64 pounds, I needed to do something. My Fitness Pal was suggested to me at just the right time!

One of our Lap Band saying was "Just because you can eat it, doesn't mean you should".
  • bridgett28
    bridgett28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had the LAP BAND procedure done in December of 2009. How are things going with the BP for you?

Good. I will be 9 months out on Wednesday and have lost almost 120lbs in those 9 months. I have a new life it seems. I am more active and love to go out and do things, I don't want to sit at home everynight. My husband and I have started home improvement projects -- first starting with the out side of our house and the fence is one of our largest projects that we have started. We have about 1/2 of it left to do and then all of it to paint! EEK!! But it is a good workout putting it all to gether and painting...yay points there! I also want my kids (step) to be more active so every night after I get off of work i pick them up cuz my hubby works a 2nd job and we play outside, go on walks, bike rides, etc. It is fun being able to play with them and not be out of breath after 10 mins. I love it.

How is the lap band going for you?
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    LapBand in August of last year and it's been going pretty smoothly.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I had the lapband done on February 6th, 2006. I lost 94 lbs initially, then I got pregnant and had a baby, and then life happend with 3 kids, and then my dad passed away ..so that got put on hold. Now recently I just started making it work for me again, and have lost nearly 100 lbs since the end of April. :D
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am on the same train. I had RNY in 2004. It was the best gift I gave to myself! I am here to be your motivational study buddy.....:-) :flowerforyou: Whatever that means!! lol!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had bypass in early May, lost 65 lbs to date and feel GREAT! I'm about halfway to my end weight. I discovered MFP about two weeks ago, and cannot believe how easy it makes everything! I had hit a mini-plateau, and once I started logging everything, the weight started falling off again.

I can't believe how much of a positive impact the surgery has had with my relationship with food... and exercise for that matter. I'm hitting the gym each morning around 6am and getting my workout in before my brain engages. :happy:
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lap band in January of 2008, lost 100 lbs by my year anniversary and then hit a brick wall: several months long plateaus and some yo yo-ing up and down. Now I'm back on track again. Best decision of my life! No regrets. Some minor problems here and there but all stuff that I have control over (taking smaller bites, chewing A LOT, etc).

I have made some awesome friends on this site but beware, there are some haters out there!

Welcome ;-) Sending a friend request!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had lap band on June 23, 2008... trying to get down to the last 15-20 pounds to my goal weight. LOVE MFP!!
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lap band 9/2009, I am down 84lbs. Please add me as your friend
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    Congrats! Welcome to the "Club"! LOL I had the lap band on July 21, 2010 and have lost 50lbs. Doing great! I agree- best gift I gave myself!
  • Lizandrk
    Options
    I had lapband June '09 and have lost 87 lbs to date! It was one of the BEST decisions of my life. I am not perfect, nor is the band. But it is a tool, to use and work together and get the job done! Feel free to add me as a friend!!! :D Good luck, sweetie!

~Liz
  • PJRiner
    Options
    Me too, 7/21/10 and easily it has been life-changing for me! Eternally grateful! I wasnot approved because I didn't have enough weight to lose but we fought it and low and behold through this we discovered that I had severe obstructive sleep apnea and a significant hiatal hernia so all in all I am feeling the best I have ever felt in 10 years!
  • abbracadabra
    Options
    I had lap band 2/24/2010. I feel amazing. It is truly the best thing I have ever done for myself! I've managed to lose about 95# (about half preop) and no longer have intense sciatic pain and have sooooo much energy. Hope you all are doing well. It's true there are lots of haters here, most of whom are misinformed and close minded.

It isn't always easy. I'm just starting to break free of a 7 week plateau. It's time for a fill next week cuz I feel like I can eat the whole fridge but I choose not too :) I've managed to retain my restriction for no more than a few weeks. My surgeon will only do fills every 6 weeks, no exceptions. But, I'm looking forward to hopefully hit my sweet spot this time and jump start things again!

Good luck!

Kim
  • Mary_Burris
    Options
    I had Lapband March 31, 2009 and it was the best thing Ive ever EVER EVER done for myself. I started at 300 and I am now down to 143 I have lost more weight that what I weigh now!:love: with hard work and dedication you can do it! the lapband is a TOOL to help you not to just fix it for you. Im sending you a request now, any questions you have ask away!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • debidoodle
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP just this week. I wanted to jump in on this thread.

I was banded on December 23, 2009 and have lost 95 lbs so far. I have about 35-40 more to go to get to my goal. I have slowed down considerably in the last month or so and its getting frustrating! That's why I joined MFP, to start recording my food intake and exercise again and make sure i'm getting what I need to keep losing.

It's nice to see other peeps here who have been banded or had gastric bypass :)

Have a great day!
    Debi
  • grlgeek99
    Options
    I was banded in July 2008 and managed to lose 80 pound in a little over a year. A bunch of life changes and stress got the best of me and I put 30 back on. It's slowly coming back off again.

Even with MY screw-ups, it was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • LapBandBobbi
    Options
    I had my Lap Band surgery on 1/28/10. It is the best decision I have made! Yes, my weight loss has been slow (just over 1 pound/week) but it has been good. I feel better about myself and was not able to do it on my own for sooo many years! Good luck to all the other bandsters out there!
  • sinsational68
    Options
    Hi hun,

I had lapriscopic Gastric and my friend had the lapband.. I am 3months out of surgery and she is 1yr.. our results are different but we both chose the right surgery for our lifestyles. I was 480 lbs standing at 5'10" i had been trying to loose the weight on my own for years..I had successfully lost 100lbs on my own.. but was stuck there for 2yrs. I was switching up my routine(muscle confusion) but still there was no break through and everyone told me that you will hit a platau but come on.. 2 years? I felt they should have invented a work out for fat confusion..lol.. So before i completely gave up on loosing weight all together I weighed my options between lap band and gastric. they both were great tools to help me go where i wanted to but I wanted something that would allow me to get to my goal within a 1year then I continue from there to maintain it. Lap band would have been more of a gradual process. So before surgery i was 379 and today i am 310lbs and counting.. :happy: but most important is i'm in a size 18 lol i haven't been in a 18 since i was 18 lol before I was wearing 24-26 go figure huh..

shay from chicago