Less weight / More Struggles

Options
Why does it seem that the less weight you have to lose the harder it gets?
When I weighed 236lbs it seemed that the weight just "fell off".
Now I feel that I am fighting for each pound.
I have a mere 16 lbs to lose. Not that much really, but wow! It can be a little mentally and physically draining coming up with new ideas, new fitness routines, changing caloric intake etc etc etc.
Not to mention the fact that I keep telling myself that it is "only 16lbs". Thats not too bad, I look good, and the BS list continues.
Any thoughts,ideas, support, encouragement, or a good butt kicking would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No advice...Just wanted you to know you have come this far and you can finish.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Dont let excusses like it only 16 lbs left take over your brain. you may end up going backwards. Head up dont make excusses! It is all come make sure your food choices are great ones not just calories in check. Good food choices and what you eat together may make a diff. Shake it up. WOrkout a little harder Ect. I will shake your body up and those pound will fall off.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    It sucks but you have to work harder the less you weigh and better condition you are in to burn the same calories. So it takes more effort to get to the -3500 calorie deficet to loose that one lb. You have come a long way and will be able to make it just take a moment to adjust to everything.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It may be time to consult a personal fitness trainer. Most gyms will let you consult with one for free the first time. Take your exercise and food journals and let him/her evaluate and recommend areas to improve or consentration on.

Congrats on the weight loss so far. You are a huge inspiration to me. Keep it up.

Eva
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    G-d/Evolution designed your body to survive in a fairly primitive environment, when food supplies could be scarce. The bod is just doing what it does.

If you're carrying 100 pounds of bodyfat, losing a pound is losing 1% of your bodyfat, and the bod lets go of that easy. Still plenty of gas in the tank to survive the next famine.

If you're carrying 20 pounds of bodyfat, then losing a pound is giving up 5% of your already scarce reserves. A month of no rain and you're dead, and the bod knows this even if you don't. Your metab does not want to let that stuff go, and that's why it gets harder as you get trimmer.

You can do it. Pay attention, watch what you do, be prepared to make adjustments. You'll be fine.
  • PJRiner
    Options
    Mine did not just fall off in the beginning, lucky you! I guess that every pound just reminds us of the struggle and how badly we want it off! It is frustrating but keep the faith! It will come off!

"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain." ~Author Unknown
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It's definitely going to be more challenging to lose those last pounds. As counter-intuitive as it may sound, you may need to eat more to coax your body into burning up the fat you have left. I've seen recommendations of just 200-300 caloric deficit per day, instead of 500 or more.

I'd also highly recommend lifting weights - as heavy as possible, and look into interval training (HIIT).
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be that you don't have to change your workout maybe you just need to increase what you do. Walk faster, lift a little more, add more time, just add a little more of whatever your doing. Don't worry it will come. You have come this far and now your nearing your goal. That's GREAT. Then its just maintaining after that. You can do it. Just focus. You could be down those pounds by Christmas. Don't stop now. Keep up the weight fight.