Buying Something You Hope To Fit Into

Options
Has many out there bought something a size or to smaller with hopes that you'll eventually fit into it?

I have done this a couple of times. I do it for motivation and to hold myself accountable. It works really well.

Replies

• violetcharms
    violetcharms Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do it too!! The joy when u finally can zip up those tiny shorts...priceless
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I usually do not do this. I am one of those people who has always believed in "buy what fits and flatters your current body".

However...I've been losing consistently over the past few months since joining MFP and I have faith that it will continue for quite awhile before I reach a more serious type of plateau. So when I was in between sizes 18-20, I started buying a lot of 18 pants and capris even if they wouldn't button/zip easily. Most were from secondhand shops so between $1-5 each...nothing crazy. Now they all fit, so I'll be on the lookout for 16's and who knows, maybe even 14 if they are inexpensive and cute.

I have a feeling you mean something a bit more "extreme" though. For me, that still hasn't happened. I am in a solid size 18 currently and the smallest item I have is a size 16 dress, I paid just one dollar for it in a thrift store. It's denim, but a cute style, and NO stretch at all in the fabric. So it fits, but I look like a potato about to burst. My goal is to be able to wear it and have it look cute. Because of the fabric, it won't happen quickly...but I think that's very attainable.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I do have a closet full of clothes that I would love to be able to wear again. Some of the items have only been worn once or twice, so it would be amazing to be able to fit into them again.

Most of the jeans in my closet range from size 7-11. I am currently wearing a size 15 (slightly loose) and recently was able to button/zip a size 13 (still a little tight in my lower abdomen). I don't know what size I wore at my highest weight, because I was only wearing drawstring sweat pants at the time (XXL). Around the time I started MFP, I was wearing a size 17.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    not bought specifically but clothes I used to fit into when I was 19 :)
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was over 300 lbs for over 15 years so I didn't have any clothes to fit into. So it might not be as drastic as it sounds.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yes, I routinely pick something up in the sales that I want to fit into a way down the road. Most recently a size M grey dress with pockets (£108 reduced to £30). Hoping to be able to wear it in November or so which is fine as the fabric makes it more of a fall/winter dress anyway.

The UK12 cropped sleeve blazer I got in April/May I can wear now :smile:

I'm getting into the fun part in my journey where I don't actually have any smaller clothes to move into.
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I haven't done that, but I'm starting to regret it! I'm at a point where all my 'cute' clothes that were flattering to my larger self just look ridiculously baggy and ill-fitted on me. Would have been nice to open up my closet to a selection of smaller stuff!
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Today I bought a pair of jeans that I could zip up, but they are still quite snug. They were on clearance for only $8 at Target. I figured I better snatch them up since I'll be able to wear them in a couple of weeks!
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done this before and I need to start again! Usually I will buy a size down in jeans so I don't have to wait too long before I can wear them. But it feels even better when they are too loose and you can no longer wear them instead of not being able to wear them because they are too tight.. :D
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have just bagged up all of the 'small' clothes that were waiting under the bed for me.

Some of them didn't even get worn again before being bagged up to be carbooted :(

So now I have some slightly tight clothes in the wardrobe and when I go back to work (teacher) I should fit into them. I have bought a couple of things in the sales that are a tad tight. I may hit the charity shops for some inbetween clothes :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have. Eventually lost enough that I did fit into it, kept losing and then it became too big for me. :laugh:
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly buying clothing too small for me. Not much point in buying clothes that will be too big for me a few weeks down the line.
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, i have in the past but now I am just waiting until I get to my goal weight. I have lots of size S etc items stashed away....
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Right now at this point I want to be able to fit into a size 7/9 comfortably again with a medium size shirt, right now i'm between and 11/13, with either a LG or XL shirt, hate it with a passion!!!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't as I would end up trying them on daily and getting disappointed. I do have loads of smaller clothes that dont fit just yet though!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    several years ago I was shopping and I found a skirt that would fit if I lost like 5 lbs, and it was $11. I bought it, and refused to take the tags off until I could fasten the damn thing. It took me YEARS to lose the weight, but I finally did about a year ago. I wore that thing until I could pull it up and down buttoned AND zippered!

My new motivation outfit is one I wore almost 10 years ago. A pair of size 13 dress pants and a fitted top that matches. It is hung in my bedroom where I can see it easily, and periodically I put it on and try to zip the pants.