Building vs toning vs losing weight?

Options
Argent78
Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
I'm in a personal trainer program and they recommend me to eat lots of proteins, and around 1400-1800 cals a day.. however I haven't seen ANY changes in 2 months!!
Now i decided to go 1200 cals to see if anything happens...
any recommendations??

Replies

• Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    what kind of protien are you eating , how many calories total? 1800 seems like a bit much to start with .. how are your meals spaced out , how often do you work out , what type of excercises are you doing?
  • Tofaraz
    Tofaraz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When u say u don't see any changes you mean in the mirror or the weigh scale ?
  • Argent78
    Options
    I'm eating proteins from meats (as lean as possible), eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, and whey proteins (I was recommended all of this by the pers trainer)
    I try to do 6 meals a day - 2 of them are just snaks of greek yogurt or fruit or celery w cottage cheese
    I'm doing weight lifting 35 minutes 3 times a week, and planing to start doing 30 min cardio each time I do weight lifting, and add 1 or 2 spinning a week

Everything sounds great... howeverm I've been through a lot of stress and couldn follow the diet perfectly, and didn';t respect cardio... I'm determined to do it now!
  • Argent78
    Options
    neither :(
    I haven't gain weight... but haven't lost
    Mirror looks the same :(
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options
    I'd be firing my trainer. 2 months is a long time to be at it without feeling better/stronger about yourself.
  • Argent78
    Options
    I do feel stringer, and healthier... but its also true that haven't done a lot of cardio.. but I did follow the calories they recommended me :(
  • Tofaraz
    Tofaraz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm eating proteins from meats (as lean as possible), eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, and whey proteins (I was recommended all of this by the pers trainer)
    I try to do 6 meals a day - 2 of them are just snaks of greek yogurt or fruit or celery w cottage cheese
    I'm doing weight lifting 35 minutes 3 times a week, and planing to start doing 30 min cardio each time I do weight lifting, and add 1 or 2 spinning a week

Everything sounds great... howeverm I've been through a lot of stress and couldn follow the diet perfectly, and didn';t respect cardio... I'm determined to do it now!

Besides adding some cardio what I would do is take a look at the rest time between sets during strength training . The lower the interval the higher the heart rate thus more chances of fat burn and toning . My 2 cents :)
  • TamikaGoesHard
    Options
    www.goherbalife.com/tat360
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ..... Everything sounds great... howeverm I've been through a lot of stress and couldn follow the diet perfectly, and didn';t respect cardio... I'm determined to do it now!

so you haven't adhered to the program but you're questioning the results of the recommendations you didn't actually follow?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would try sticking to the diet they gave you and pick a more firm goal- 1400-1800 is kind of a big range. Pick 1600 and stick with it for a month.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

If you didn't follow your diet perfectly in the past, maybe that's why you didn't see a change. I would try following your diet for a month before you drastically drop down to 1200 calories.

Also, make sure you are weighing and measuring everything, no eyeballing or guesstimating. I don't know if you do this already (though I'm guessing not since you said you haven't been perfect) since your diary isn't open. It's a good idea to give the people you're asking advice of as much information as possible so they can give you informed advice instead of generalized canned responses.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Lose weight? Build muscle? I would definitely not drop to 1200 calories. You'll only end up losing the muscle you have been building. I would add some HIIT if you want to lose some weight.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    ..... Everything sounds great... howeverm I've been through a lot of stress and couldn follow the diet perfectly, and didn';t respect cardio... I'm determined to do it now!

so you haven't adhered to the program but you're questioning the results of the recommendations you didn't actually follow?

My thoughts exactly.

How can you say that what the trainer told you do is working or not working when you haven't actually done what the trainer told you to do?

Follow the trainer's advice with regards to nutrition, weight training, and cardio for about 2 weeks. If you follow the advice AND THEN you see no results, start asking questions.