Lowering Carbs - Getting headaches?

LeBartlett
LeBartlett Posts: 11 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

Do any of you low-carber people remember getting a headache the first day or two? I'm on day two of lowering my carbs (no white flour or rice or sugar, just good carbs in the form of veggies only) and my head is just killing me.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Leah

p.s. I am one of those sugaraholics so I automatically attributed the headache to the drop in sugar but I wanted to make sure that others have had this and I'd love to know how long it lasts! Thanks again.

Replies

• do you drink alot of caffiene? or did you? I went through something similar a year ago. I drank alot of coffee and redbull and all that crap and I got alot of bad headaches. so I stopped drinking so much caffiene ad a few days later the headaches stopped.
  • YES!!! It's sugar withdrawal- getting off of sugar is an addiction like anything is... no worries. I also got really irritable and stomach aches though too. BUT the good thing is it's only temporary they only last 3-7 days... For the atkins diet- I call these things the "Atkin's Flu".... but then once they go away, you'll have more energy than you've had in a long time and your body will be burning primarily stored fat, instead of your glycogen supply! :) Good luck! Try to stick with it if u can... a good LC snack that helps with cravings is some sugar free jello and whipped topping!
  • Totally! I had the most stinking of headaches for a couple of days but it soon passes and you will feel fab xxx
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    I had that, but it didn't pass. It was when I was doing south beach stage 1. Are you eating fruit????
  • The thing to remember is that carbs help your body to store water, so if you are going to cut down or cut them out, then your body will not store water like it used to and you will need to drink more or you will become dehydrated and this can also cause you to have a headache xxx
  • I am sure it is sugar....I went through a week of only raw foods and juice, and you do do through a sugar withdrawal within the first couple of days.....
  • LeBartlett
    re: caffeine - I actually went off caffeine at the beginning of this summer. I will have a diet coke now and again but no more than once or twice a week. I definitely went through caffeine withdrawals but they were not NEARLY so severe as this headache I had.

UPDATE: headache is finally gone. took 2 solid days though.... sheesh!
  • LeBartlett
    and thanks everyone - I'm glad to know that it's not completely abnormal to be SO uncomfortable going off sugar.

I feel much better tonight - so that's a huge relief. Now I'm just dealing with craving a sweet. I can deal with that better than the headache + craving. ha!
  • anytime i cut drastically i end up with a headache. it's withdrawals. and normal. i would rather deal with a headache for a day or two and get over it than drag it on. (that's how i gave up smoking and sodas...cold turkey. and haven't gone back)

those white items are over processed, so your body will be happy you did this.

keep us posted!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Welcome to low carb "flu" :)

Make sure to drink a lot of water and take a quality multi vitamin and/or magnesium supplement.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Hi all,

Do any of you low-carber people remember getting a headache the first day or two? I'm on day two of lowering my carbs (no white flour or rice or sugar, just good carbs in the form of veggies only) and my head is just killing me.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Leah

p.s. I am one of those sugaraholics so I automatically attributed the headache to the drop in sugar but I wanted to make sure that others have had this and I'd love to know how long it lasts! Thanks again.

Headaches is one of the side effects during low carb diets. Those people that do, for instance, the Atkins Diet, often complain that they have a headache for a while.
This discussion has been closed.