Bronies (adult "My Little Pony" fans) - this is a THING now?

Options
coolraul07
coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
Having been a huge fan of "Ren and Stimpy", "The Tick", "Eeek the Cat", "Animaniacs", etc. I'm not above watching an occassional episode of "Phineas and Ferb", "Gravity Falls", or "The Annoying Orange" because their humor falls in my wheelhouse. However, I never even thought about watching "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic". I just read the following article and asked, "Am I missing out on something good here?" I'm interested in hearing from any dudes on here who have watched it.
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Bronies-My-Little-Pony-Friendship-Magic-1068692.aspx

This weekend, the city of Baltimore will welcome more than 6,000 attendees to BronyCon, the largest convention for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fans, most of whom are young adult males.
They have normal jobs and hobbies and use their unique talents to defeat evil and overcome obstacles, which can be as basic as Twilight Sparkle's first slumber party to outsmart the wily trickster Discord (voiced by Star Trek's John de Lancie). Much like Pixar films, the series is also sprinkled with adult humor and pop culture references (yes, there really were Big Lebowski ponies), which help attract an older audience.

Replies

• EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Oh, indeed, it's very big. And apparently, the show is REALLY good. I haven't gotten around to it yet. :(

But ... it's now officially time to pull out my Denver Broncos Bronies tee. :D:D:D (it's got the Broncos logo done in My Little Pony, and says Bronies).

Have you seen the amazing gif threads that occasionally get bombed here? NEED MOAR GIFS!

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-your-argument-is-invalid.jpg
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Bronies are male MLP fans and yes it is a thing haha

edit to say. my little pony is actually a great show, i watch it with my 3 year old and it is really captivating.
  • dee192
    dee192 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    oh it is scary real. i was psyched when my 18 year old cousin asked me about MLP (it was magical growing up as a kid in the 90's). then it got weird when he started quoting things about magic... friendship... i don't know.
    he asked if i would go to the brony convention. i said yeah because i felt bad... he seemed bronely.
  • Dawmer299
    Options
    I've often wondered the same thing. Its taken off in my area too but I've never taken the time to look into it to see what the fascination was. I just chalked it up as one of those 'to each their own' moments.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My Little Pony FIM is full of nerd humour. My husband doesn't like to actively "watch" it, because it might diminish his masculinity (lol) but even he laughs when the Mysterious Mare Do Well (a superhero) makes an appearance to an eerily reminiscent tune for the average Batman fan :)

Plus John De Lancie plays one of the villains. And if Q likes MLP, who are you to argue? :drinker:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I went to an Orioles game this weekend and walked passed the convention center on the way to the ballpark. Had no idea what was going on but there were wack jobs everywhere. I looked it up when i got home...BRONY Convention. Weird stuff.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I know two guys that went to the recent convention over here in the UK the other week. I've only just realised I've been missing out on the fun, obviously not on being a male fan, just a fan, at first I thought MLP has just been modified for the Bratz generation!
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    oh it is scary real. i was psyched when my 18 year old cousin asked me about MLP (it was magical growing up as a kid in the 90's). then it got weird when he started quoting things about magic... friendship... i don't know.
    he asked if i would go to the brony convention. i said yeah because i felt bad... he seemed bronely.

Bronely...hahahahaha...bronely
  • Chasem1984
    Options
    I have a four and two year old daughter, they love the show and have watched all of the seasons mutliple times. I watch it with them and I freakin love it! I think there are only 4 seasons though. I wish there were more.