Is it ok to treat yourself once a week?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel like an indulgent dessert once in awhile is fine, as long as you plan for it and limit yourself to a moderate portion size.

I would LOVE to have this recipe!!!

Not sure which recipe you meant, but here is a link to the banana soft-serve: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414

And here is the receipe for the black-bean brownies: (From "Plan-D: The Amazing Anti-Diet That Will Change Your Life Forever")
    BLACK BEAN FUDGE CAKES

Ingredients:
    Olive Oil Cooking Spray
    1 oz. dark organic chocolate (70% cocoa or greater)
    1 1/2 C soft-cooked black beans, rinsed and drained (My mom used canned beans, rinsed well - it worked fine)
    2 eggs
    1 egg white
    2 TBS olive oil
    1/4 heaped C unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 TSP baking powder
    1 TSP pure vanilla extract
    1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 C raw organic honey
    1/4 to 1/2 C unsalted walnuts, chopped
    Instructions:
    ONE Preheat over to 350 deg.; mist 8 individual ramekins or one 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
    TWO Melt dark chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat with 1 TBSP of water mixed in.
    THREE Combine melted chocolate, beans, eggs, egg white, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce and honey in a food processor; process until smooth. Stir in walnuts and pour mixture into prepared ramekins or baking dish.
    FOUR Bake in preheated oven until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides, about 20 minutes for ramekins and 30 minutes for baking dish. Garnish each piece with a dollop of nonfat Greek-style yogurt, if desired.
    Nutrients per serving: Calories: 230, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 28g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 19g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 120mg, Cholesterol: 45mg
  • timeofmylife
    Options
    I like to eat skinny cow truffle bars. They are 100 calories nad beat any ice cream anyday!!!!!!!
  • xananx
    xananx Posts: 2
    Options
    Do your thang.. personally I refuse to diet on Fridaynaight thru Saturday .. i do not binge ;howver the break is good i use Sundays to get back on track... After all this is a life style cahnge and thats all i'm willing to do.. so do your oneday treat and enjoy , not binge. :bigsmile:
  • DKWaggoner
    DKWaggoner Posts: 185
    Options
    A once a week treat is great! I do the same thing,once a week we eat at one of our fave resturaunts..we just compensate for it by working out really hard..I think it keeps us on track while giving us something to look forward to..
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I plan ONE cheat meal each week, and I make it something I have been wanting to its worth it. One meal is not going to make you gain weight, but I also make sure I eat extra good the rest of the week :) You gotta do something to keep you sane lol :)
  • KCSPEARS
    Options
    As long as you keep working out you will be fine, & dont go to over board on cheat day. :)
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I allow myself those indulgences nearly daily. I love chocolate, and I'm pretty certain I need it to survive ;-) However, what I did was start to keep the 100 calories snack packs in my home. That way I know I'll be able to fit it into my calorie plan and still get a small piece of something I enjoy.

I am, however, planning to have a 100% free day on my birthday! Totally looking forward to that :-)

Hehe this is exactly how I am! I generally leave a few calories for my evening for a little something sweet. And in terms of birthdays, mine is on the 26th, and MFP may say I haven't logged in for a day, and it is probably because I will not!
  • allief
    Options
    When I am trying to eat "right" I always try to allow myself some treat almost every day - but I also include those calories in my daily plan and prepare for them. If not, I binge and it gets ugly.
  • i love kashi cherry dark chocolate granola bars! they really take care of my sweet tooth! this is something i struggle with too. and skinny cow caramel truffle ice cream bars are only 100 calories, and are sweet enough to take care of any sweet tooth! and a lot of times i can talk myself out of something sweet with a diet cherry dr. pepper! don't deprive yourself too much! I just find alternatives! hope that helped!
  • mytmom
    Options
    I figured out, for me, if I tell myself I can have it and it's ok, I tend to want it less. It's the big no-nno's that I crave, so I just don't have anything i consider off limits. I have actually driven to the store with the plans to get somthing really good and realy bad for me, and not been able to find a single thing in an ENTIRE grocery store that i actually wanted, and have left empty handed. I am doing this with my 14 (almost 15 year old son - who's lost 18 lbs!) and Ikeep things on hand for him like mango sorbet, he loves that, and we both love the choc covered raspberry ice cream bars. One brand is Weight Watchers and they are 80 cals and the Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom no sure added ones are 100 cals. So my advice is not to tell yourself you can't have it, abvously it can't be a slice of cheesecake from the Cheesecake factory (about 1000 cals!) every day, but find something tht works for you and your plan! Also, I hate any dairy product that is "lite or fat free" I just can't stand them so I'm not going to waste calories on something I don't like. I use a little less, cut back somewhere else, etc. besides, in my opinion, and the as my step SIL (who has a PhD in Chemical Engineering and is the dept chair at a major university) when they take the natural fat out, they have to put something back in to replace it's actually worse for you overal, than eating the real thing. Sugar substitues is about the only "fake" food I eat on a regular basis. JMO, of course, I could be wrong :laugh:
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have a PB & J every other night on wheat(half a slice of bread), all natural PB and no sugar jam and 8oz of FF Milk.