Post your favorite protein shake or smoothie recipe.

ambercole
ambercole Posts: 426
edited September 21 in Recipes
I use the GNC AMP protein powder. It is the only one that I like because it is not chalky or gritty and it is only 90 calories per 20 grams of protein. I like the vanilla flavor. These are a couple of my favorites. They take the place of one meal a day, or if I workout really hard and have the extra calories. I use it as an inbetween meal snack.

PB smoothie

1c skim milk
2 tblsp chocolate pb2 (powdered peanut butter) u could use reg but the calories and fat are higher)
1 scoop protein powder
1 frozen banana

Pumpkin smoothie

1 c skim milk
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 splenda packet
pumpkin pie spice
ice
optional 1 crumbled ghram cracker

What are your favorites?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I've done some research on protein powders and the concensus is (from sources other than personal trainers who aren't actually educated on nutrition): They are not a good source of protein, since the body doesn't absorb it as well as from real food; even Olympic-level athletes only need a slight increase in protein intake and that can be achieved through a healthy, balanced diet; and the body, no matter how much weight-lifting you do, only absorbs so much protein, anyway. The rest gets filtered through the kidneys and liver and can cause serious damage if it's too much.

That said, I do have a smoothie almost every day. It helps my sweet tooth and gets in lots of fruits and some protein and healthy fats:

1 banana
    1 1/2 cups mixed frozen berries (thawed)
    1 T Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter (no sugar added!)
    Top with a dollop of light whipped cream
  • BUMP! I'll be back! :drinker:
  • 1 Scoop of Chocolate Shakeology
    1 banana
    1T Peanut Butter
    3/4 cup almond milk, skim milk or water
    Ice to taste

Blend and enjoy!

I have several other great Shakeology recipes as well. Don't know what Shakeology is? Want to try a sample or place an order?

Message me!
  • Bump!

I don't make my own (boo me), but I love the Special K Protein Shakes. They are great! I am looking forward to everyone's recipes :)
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    5 whole frozen strawberries
    1 container yoplait light strawberry or blueberry yogurt
    8 oz skim milk
    2 tbls honey
    Maybe some ice if you like it really thick.

Put it all in the blender and let'er rip! Actually has 16 grams of protien and under 300 calories.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Not very original, but yummy nonetheless:

1 packet GNC Safely Slim (chocolate)
    1 banana
    1/2 cup coffee
    1/2 cup egg whites
    ice to blend
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    1 cup Silk Almond Milk
    1 frozen banana
    2 scoops GNC Whey Chocolate Protein
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon ground flax
    1/4 cup Stoneyfield farms organic fat free french vanilla yogurt

Simple but I never get tired of this one, especially since I work out in the mornings so this come right after, and I dang near lust for it by the time I'm done working out.
  • BJ's frozen wild berry smoothie mix. Just add a cup of milk or soy milk, and voilá, a meal in a minute.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    2 cups of ice
    1/2 cup skim milk
    2 truvia packets (or sugar if you want for a few more cals)
    4 tsp of flavored coffee creamer (I love pumpkin)
    and 4oz (1/2 cup) of brewed coffee

Put in blender in that order and blend till you get something that tastes just like a starbucks frappe, but only has 100 cals and cost about 25 cents to make
This discussion has been closed.