What is the ideal HRM for me?

Options
I've been working out for years but I am never quite sure how many calories I am actually burning. I know MFP overestimates, so I keep this in mind when logging. I typically use an elliptical, DVDs (circuit, strength, kickboxing), and run outside on occasion. I've been looking at HRMs and various other devices and I feel slightly overwhelmed with the choices/options. I am also on a pretty tight budget. If anyone could recommend a HRM for the type of exercise I do and my budget, I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Following. I am in the same situation.
  • kristinksmith
    kristinksmith Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How do you know MFP is overestimating?
  • rtjenny
    rtjenny Posts: 51
    Options
    I would recommend the FT4 Polar womens - its approx. 80 GBP on Amazon. Its pretty accurate as it matches the calories on the cross trainer, stationary bike etc. Good way of knowing your average and max HRM.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the FT4 Polar womens - its approx. 80 GBP on Amazon. Its pretty accurate as it matches the calories on the cross trainer, stationary bike etc. Good way of knowing your average and max HRM.

I agree. I have it and it's a great basic HRM. It stays in place under my bra, wasn't too expensive but is still good quality, great customer service, and does a great job tracking. Plus there are fun colors. Which is not important for weight loss, but it's still fun! :D
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

I just do the TDEE-20%, if in a day I do something excessive, like 1 extra hour of exercise than usual, then I eat extra 100-200 calories and I feel my body asking for more. If I am sick or busy and have missed many exercises in a week, then I eat less than the set TDEE-20% for a few days.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have and the love the FT4 : ) I have heard that all the Polars are good and come in different price points. My ft4 was 100 or so but I saw other models around 55 or 60.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    this is a very common issue discussed here.

First, every device and website is using a different algorithm, thus you will get different values. A HRM is not going to give you an accurate number either!!! A lot of folks here think the HRM will give you accurate data. There is up to 20% variability on the accuracy on these devices.

What I would do - find one site/device and stick with it (MFP or other website) - whether it is accurate or not. I know the website I am using is "incorrect", but it is inconsistently incorrect and therefore it works for me.
  • compass172
    compass172 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I was actually looking at the more basic Polar's like the FT4 you mentioned. I may just go with something along those lines.

I think MFP overestimates more on the circuit training, not as much on the elliptical The numbers just seem too high for the DVDs I do.

I also use my TDEE to calculate my intake, but I have always been curious to know what I am actually burning, at least to some degree of accuracy.

If anyone has more to add, or more advice, some interesting details, etc- I'd greatly appreciate it!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I too use the Polar FT4.

If you go down the HRM route, just find something that uses a chest strap for more accurate readings.
  • saranevans
    saranevans Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just got the polar ft4 and I love it, even if the calories may not be totally accurate it at least gives you a better idea than looking at the calorie count on machines and its actually made me more aware of my heart rate and the range it needs to be in while I'm working out...I trust it more than the machines and the calories burned on MFP database.

I got mine on amazon for a little of 60 bucks. But if you want cheaper I've even seen some more basic ones at walmart that ranged from 30 bucks to like 80 depending on what it did...but I'd definitely say i've gotten my moneys worth on this FT4.
  • alloh1
    alloh1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got the women's Polar FT7 and really like it. And it has a user-changeable battery, which is great. Strap is comfortable, and machine washable. Very cool to see the large display when doing P90X to see whether I am dogging it or not... =)