Literally in between sizes

Options
So I have been on the hunt for some new jeans for a while now. I have a pretty athletic build, wide calves and bigger muscular thighs, and I am a pear/ hourglass shape so I have wider hips too. I have tried skinny jeans and if I can get them over my calves, I definitely feel too constricted. Anyways, it's been a real challenge for me. I was looking at some jeans online today and when I was looking at the size chart, I was dismayed to find that my hip size is actually not included in the chart!! I am measuring a solid 41" and for one size it's 40.5" and the next is 42" I am obviously trying to lose weight/ inches, so I don't want to buy the bigger size, but I don't quite fit into the smaller size either. I guess I'll have to wait this one out, but man that is frustrating!! I looked at other stores too and at most places on the size chart 41" is skipped over!

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Size charts are rarely exactly accurate, and jeans stretch, so I wouldn't think the half an inch would really make a difference. Also they do tend to vary immensely by brand so I would check out more brands.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You could buy the 40.5, but check the return policy of the store. They may actually fit better than you think, but if they don't, you could always return them. I'm the same way, though - big calves and wider hips, though I'm closer to hourglass than pear. I like boot cut jeans just because they give my calves more room, lol. I always feel like I'm pulling other jeans down all the time because they ride up on my calves from being too tight.
  • DeathListFive
    DeathListFive Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I just held out and wore a belt with all of my jeans for another month until I lost another inch.

The type of material is a big factor to keep in mind. If you're looking at a pant with no give or wiggle room, then 42" is what you want. If you're looking at something that's a stretchy material, like a lot of denims are now, 40.5" would work. My suggestion is start going to different stores, try their pants on, then go order them online. :wink:
  • UndercoverAngel74
    UndercoverAngel74 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue...it's maddening!!!

I found some jeans that actually look pretty decent at Buckle (Rock Revival). They are expensive but have some stretch so it helps with the hip issue. I would just suggest waiting until you get pretty close to your goals, as these are about $150/pair.

Express also has some great jeans for curvier figures that are around $100 and they frequently run buy one get one 1/2 off sales.

Hope this helps!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Try jeggings. They're stretchy for the thighs.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one in between. I know I just need to go to the store and try them on, and I will eventually find a pair that works for me, I just get discouraged when I can't find anything that fits just right...hopefully with back to school stuff out, there will be a better variety next time I'm at the mall.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you haven tried them on yet it's really too soon to get discouraged!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you are buying them online, you could be down to that by the time they get to you. Go for the smaller size and just keep working at it. They might be tight at first, but not for long.:flowerforyou:

oh, but I also agree with the other person, if you can go to a store and try them on, then do that- I made the assumption you were shopping online because you said you looked at the size chart