Motivation to start running.

Options
I'm currently swimming for my cardio and have wanted to start running for a while. Every time I try it, I find it too hard and just quit after the first day. I was looking for some motivation and possibly some virtual running partners on Endomondo (or other free running apps). I've heard of Couch to 5K training program, but I'm much fitter than someone starting on week 1, how can I tailor the program? Any tips and support will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5K is great, there is also a couch to 10K.

You don't have to start at week 1 - maybe week 5 or 6.

It took me a long time to get to running and now if I find a day where I'm just not motivated (or well enough) to do a full 30min the option of doing a run from an earlier week makes the prospect a lot less daunting and I'm more likely to go out.

The more you do it the less of a chore it becomes.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy it don't do it. There are plenty of other ways to get your cardio jollies.

Why punish yourself?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You find it too hard, but dont want to start at week 1 of C25K?

What is it about running that's too hard?

(I'll guess - you're going too fast)
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1041445-running-newbie-couch-to-5k-haaaaaard

this was a great post I saw just yesterday on the topic, lots of very helpful answers
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K. If you find week one too easy skip ahead to week 2. Or 3.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a runner for years but didn't like it lol. What helped and changed me... bc now I CRAVE running...was signing up for races! There are lots of for good cause races(race for the cure, etc) and then even fun (warrior dash, color run) type races. You'll HAVE to run to train so after that you can see if its something you enjoy! Check out some 5ks...and then move up if you desire...10k...10mile...the races are everywhere! Good luck:)
  • Nightfall30
    Nightfall30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am probably setting too high expectations from day 1. I've tried going slow but simply cannot do more than 5minutes at a stretch. I think I'll try C25K. It's not that I hate running, I just feel self conscious about my inability to do it for long enough, especially because other activities like swimming is so easy for even a whole hour!
  • Nightfall30
    Nightfall30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a runner for years but didn't like it lol. What helped and changed me... bc now I CRAVE running...was signing up for races! There are lots of for good cause races(race for the cure, etc) and then even fun (warrior dash, color run) type races. You'll HAVE to run to train so after that you can see if its something you enjoy! Check out some 5ks...and then move up if you desire...10k...10mile...the races are everywhere! Good luck:)

I definitely admire runners and I would love to run in a race some day! This is a great idea, thank you!
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good luck!:)
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I recommend starting at Day 1 of the C25K. I thought I was reasonably fit as I walk a 4 mile commute to work and regularly walk 10 miles at the weekend. Running is different and it's taken me the 8 weeks to be comfortably running for 28 minutes.

There's a group on here for anyone following C25K and you can find motivation and support :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My first run 3 years ago was for 5 minutes. I felt like I was about to collapse and I was stiff for 3 days. A week later I could run 10 minutes. I was so proud of myself I pushed further, within another week I could run 2 miles.

What I'm saying it when you first start running, the progress comes fast and hard. That alone was enough to get me interested, but I agree with the person who suggested signing up for races. Sign up for a 5K, it will give you a reason to train, and they're a lot of fun, the atmosphere is motivating. If you're competitive and worry about needing to be faster than others, try a Race for Life, a lot of people walk those so if you run some and walk other bits or just jog at a steady pace you'll still feel like you're doing well.

Running IS hard, it's also pretty much the best cardio for burning calories in the time. Think of that bit when you're starting to struggle!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    put shoes on

put shorts on

put sports bra on

put music on

go outside- start running.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I find it too hard and just quit after the first day.
    I've heard of Couch to 5K training program, but I'm much fitter than someone starting on week 1

Wait, what???? :huh:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Exercise should be enjoyable... I think if you have to psych yourself up to even start doing something like running, perhaps it isn't for you? Swimming is a great sport, after all, so it isn't as if you are inactive.

About whether C25k is for you, given your fitness level: training is specific. There are some transferable adaptations, but for the most part, you get what you train for. If all you have done so far is swim, you probably have a decent VO2 Max, but your lower limbs are not adapted to the stress of hitting the pavement. In fact, I would be especially careful if all you have done up to now is non-weight-bearing exercise.

So yeah, do the C25k, if you are determined to become a runner.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I find it too hard and just quit after the first day.
    I've heard of Couch to 5K training program, but I'm much fitter than someone starting on week 1

Wait, what???? :huh:
    I was thinking the same!

And this is good advice:
    I recommend starting at Day 1 of the C25K. I thought I was reasonably fit as I walk a 4 mile commute to work and regularly walk 10 miles at the weekend. Running is different and it's taken me the 8 weeks to be comfortably running for 28 minutes.

There's a group on here for anyone following C25K and you can find motivation and support smile

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I also started c25k while "reasonably fit", and have always been an avid walker. I could walk, and walk fast, for miles with no problem, but running is a whole different animal. I would suggest c25k and starting with Week 1 as well - follow the program as it is written - it works. It may seem easy at first - so what - enjoy it! It prepares your joints and muscles, slowly building them and avoiding potential injury. I remember being sore in areas where I was never sore from just walking or other exercises. Running is different.

If you want to run, use the program and stick to it the plan. It works - made a runner out of me at the age of 43, and over a year and half later, I'm still running, racing, and enjoying it.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I agree with the posters who advise starting C25K on Week 1. The first week might feel too easy but the program will catch up with your current fitness level soon enough. In the meantime, you're laying valuable groundwork for running longer.
  • fiona101a
    fiona101a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, The biggest key to running is slowing down, slowing down more, and slower again! The biggest thing that stumps people when they first start running is they go too fast and burn themselves out very quickly.
    A walk, a min running, a walk, another min running until you are going longer at your runs and shorter at the walks. Build up slowly - I found Runkeeper amazing as an app - it's free, unlike couch 2 5 k - and has 5k for beginners, plus lots of other training programs, also free! It plays your playlists from your music on your phone, and it gives you regular feedback as you're running, such as distance, pace, speed, etc - it also works out your calories and synchs to MFP - also free!

When I was getting back into running after taking a break for a few years, I got a super book which was instrumental called 'Run Fat ***** Run' by Ruth Field - practical, no nonsence way to get you off the couch and running - can't recommend it highly enough. If you google her, you'll also be able to find articles she writes, which are full of super advice and very helpful.

Most importantly - nothing is better for calorie burning than running - but do it to enjoy it and you won't know yourself!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ^^ There are many good free c25k apps - I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs and it worked great. Just wanted to throw that out there.

And add that I also use and love Runkeeper - it's great for tracking distance, pace, etc. Nike+ is another good one (I usually run with both apps - gotta have a backup. :bigsmile: )
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am probably setting too high expectations from day 1. I've tried going slow but simply cannot do more than 5minutes at a stretch. I think I'll try C25K. It's not that I hate running, I just feel self conscious about my inability to do it for long enough, especially because other activities like swimming is so easy for even a whole hour!

Swimming fitness doesn't translate into running fitness.

My last swim coach swam for Canada and has been inducted into his university's sports hall of fame, he's at least 25 years younger than me and at Ottawa Race Weekend his half-marathon time was 10 minutes slower than me (a couple for years ago he complained he could barely run 5K). The moral of the story......he can kick my butt in the pool with one leg tied behind his back, he's probably (overall ) much fitter than me but running is running and swimming is swimming.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you really want to run (and running is awesome.....but I'm biased) build up slowly and gradually. Keep it fun, you have a whole lifetime of running ahead of you (Do you ride a bike too? Maybe you'd be a great triathlete?)
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tried using the C25K program multiple times but never stuck with it. About 6 weeks ago I started doing my own program. First week- 5 min. walk, 1 min jog, 1 min walk (alternating until I reached 2.75 miles), then walk last 5 minutes. 2nd week I jogged 2 minute intervals. Now I am up to walking 5min, jogging 10, walking 1 minute, jogging 10 minutes, walking 4 minutes. I go for 30 minutes longer to run/walk 1 minute intervals trying to up my speed on the first 30. It seems to be working for me. Maybe try to set up your own program that you will stick with. Also, know it will be hard. I love the the difficulty of it and I think that is why I am so determined to do it.