Toning up - where do I start

Options
Hi all, I have lost 1 stone in the past 2 months by running 4 nights a week & eating very healthy. I want to lose another 7lbs but would like to get a bit more definition in my arms, stomach, thighs etc. I do no strength training except for a body conditioning class that I do once a week which involves sit ups, exercises for legs etc. Is this enough if I maybe do it a few times a week at home. I don't have much spare time and really enjoy the running so would 20 mins a night even make much difference. Any tips for the best toning exercises at home that I could be doing? Thanks.

Replies

• BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi all, I have lost 1 stone in the past 2 months by running 4 nights a week & eating very healthy. I want to lose another 7lbs but would like to get a bit more definition in my arms, stomach, thighs etc. I do no strength training except for a body conditioning class that I do once a week which involves sit ups, exercises for legs etc. Is this enough if I maybe do it a few times a week at home. I don't have much spare time and really enjoy the running so would 20 mins a night even make much difference. Any tips for the best toning exercises at home that I could be doing? Thanks.

Bye some free weights, alternate the nights you run for a lifting session. There are literally thousands of tutorials on youtube, or home DVDs. Once a week won't make a noticeable difference, 20 mins EVERY night would.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I do no strength training

Start.
  • ChiManLifts
    Options
    I do no strength training except for a body conditioning class that I do once a week which involves sit ups, exercises for legs etc. Is this enough if I maybe do it a few times a week at home.

This is your main problem.

Sit ups and bodyweights is a start, but it won't have the results that you're looking for.
  • anna_conkers
    anna_conkers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position, I want to start lifting weights but I can't afford the gym and don't really know how to start. I've been browsing youtube and this looks like a pretty good channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I do no strength training except for a body conditioning class that I do once a week which involves sit ups, exercises for legs etc. Is this enough if I maybe do it a few times a week at home.

Sit ups and bodyweights is a start, but it won't have the results that you're looking for.
    all I gotta say is when I stopped the treadmill and hiking for lifting, I got nothing but firmer.
    photo.jpg + W0uJ_H5brtwYw7M4vw0EI-t1OtYu9awtnuoEmBuMh_k=w92-h164-p-no = photo.jpg
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058488-squats-weights-pain-in-bum-caused-this-pics
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    ^Great gif.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Agreed.. and

can you stop being so damn swole please :D
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Stay focused on your diet, and add some legitimate strength training.
  • eladli
    eladli Posts: 2
    Options
    can you stop being so damn swole please :D lol, what does this mean???

Thanks for all the good suggestions, will take them on board :-)
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    as well as everything above, also make sure you are lifting heavy enough.

I spent a long time going nowhere by doing those low weight high rep exercises. They will not tone you as quickly (if at all) as doing a high weight with short rep weights.

I saw a change in body shape within 2 weeks and was absolutely amazed. Lift as heavy as you can to do 6-8 reps and try for about 3-4 sets. The last rep of each set should be a struggle to complete but not impossible.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    can you stop being so damn swole please :D lol, what does this mean???

Thanks for all the good suggestions, will take them on board :-)

Oh, thee reply was to ChiMan, doesn't matter :D