Protein shakes?

Options
Hi everyone! I've been using ViSalus shakes for breakfast after my run. I'm looking for a regular protein powder to make shakes that are less expensive. What do you all use? Your favorite sites for shake recipes? Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump for shake recipe!!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein. 25 grams of protein and 3-4 carbs depending on flavor. I especially like the Frosty Chocolate and the Vanilla. It's my breakfast every day and I don't add anything to it.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add it's about $16 at Walmart for a huge container.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    For us peeps in England are the ones in tesco/holland and Barrett any good?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Always ordered my protein from myprotein.co.uk - but I don't use powder anymore I just eat food instead. Not sure if myprotein is cheap in comparison to others anymore.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I currently use Gaspari Myofusion.
    You don't need recipes. It's not rocket science. Add some combination of fats and carbs, depending on your nutritional goals. Perhaps a scoop of fiber as well.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Nesquik and Low fat milk

Job done
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options

IMHO - H&B one isn't, not tried the Tesco brand.

PHD Diet Whey has worked well for me and seen results, it's a fair price on Amazon for 20 nicker.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use MRM all natural unflavored about $30 for 2 pounds. It seems to last a long time and my kids use it too when they come home from sports practices. I like unflavored the best.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein. 25 grams of protein and 3-4 carbs depending on flavor. I especially like the Frosty Chocolate and the Vanilla. It's my breakfast every day and I don't add anything to it.

YES YES and YES. The Frosty Chocolate is awesome!

No Bake Cookie Smoothie (my very own creation!)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Pure Protein, found at Walmart)
    1 or 2 tbsp any nut butter
    2 tbsp SF vanilla coffee syrup (I use Torani - this can be omitted)
    3/4 cup milk (any kind - Almond Milk works best)
    20g old fashion oats
    lots of ice!

Blend'er up and stick a straw in it!

You can add spinach (20-25g) to this for added nutrients and you can't taste it, just changes the color a bit.
  • nathanieljonet
    Options
    I order Body Fortress protein powder from Amazon - they have 20% coupons all the time AND you can get it w/ Subscribe and Save so you save an extra 5% and get free shipping. With the right sales, you can get 2 pounds for $10.

They have Cookies n Cream, Strawberry and Peanut Butter Chocolate. They're fantastic.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I use the Cytosport 100% whey powder from costco.

It tastes good with just water, but it tastes delicious when you mix it with vanilla almond milk and some frozen berries. It's almost like a fruit milkshake. 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop powder, and 1 cup of frozen blueberries (my personal favorite)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use the Cytosport 100% whey powder from costco.

It tastes good with just water, but it tastes delicious when you mix it with vanilla almond milk and some frozen berries. It's almost like a fruit milkshake. 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop powder, and 1 cup of frozen blueberries (my personal favorite)

I used to use Cytosport 100% whey powder vanilla and loved the flavor.
  • ChiManLifts
    Options
    Visalus isn't the best investment.

Look into BSN Syntha, Isopure, or Optimum nutrition 100% Whey. Most of the protein shakes sold today have unnecessary frills and ingredients, and you're better off with a milkshake.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Pure Protein is very low quality proteins if my memory serves me correctly. I do, however, like Pure Protein Plus. Same company, but it has much higher quality proteins. The only thing is it is only available at Sam's.
    I also like Dymatize and Optimum Nutrition protein. They each have a lot of great flavors.
    Avoid Amplify XL like the plague, at least the vanilla flavor. It tastes like toxic waste.
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Visalus isn't the best investment.

Look into BSN Syntha, Isopure, or Optimum nutrition 100% Whey. Most of the protein shakes sold today have unnecessary frills and ingredients, and you're better off with a milkshake.

EXACTLY!
    Check your local Organic grocery store. You can find many whole food/vegan/non additive powders that are way better for you than simple Whey protein.

I use SUNWARRIOR protein powder. Here is my morning shake recipe:

1 cup Almond milk
    1 scoop vegan shake protein powder
    1 banana
    1 cup kale
    1/2 cup frozen berries or fruit

FANTASTIC and keeps me full until lunch!