Large weight loss - slow results?

Options
Wondering if anyone else has lost a lot of weight but not clothing sizes. I was a size 18/20 (5'10"/285#). I have lost 77 pounds and am now a size 16. It's a little (ok - a lot) frustrating! I am super happy with the number on the scale and glad to be out of plus size, but still not quite where I was hoping to be after having lost that much weight. Just wondering! Thanks.

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Are you doing strength training? How tight were your clothes when you started to lose weight?
  • mdubs76
    mdubs76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Quilter - yes, I work out about 4-5 days a week with strength and cardio. I am not in a 16W and 14W are too big, but a "normal" size 16 fits. They are a little loose, but I imagined losing 77# would at least have me in a 14.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sizes at the larger end of the spectrum have much bigger gaps between them. Once you lose more weight you'll drop sizes more quickly. Ex: at 160 I wear a 10, at 150 I wear an 8, and at 142 I wear a 6.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Start measuring yourself. Womens clothing size are messed up.

For reference: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1056160-womens-clothing-size-is-this-true
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar in size to you, I started at 281 and 5'11 (really, 5'10.75", but who's counting?) and I was a plus size 20/22. Now I'm about 210 and a regular 14 or 16.

Plus sizes are slightly bigger then regular sizes, for example a size 14W is going to cut more generously in the bust, hips, thighs then a misses 14. A 13 or 15 in juniors is going to be slimmer in the thighs, bust and hips and shorter.
  • mdubs76
    mdubs76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been measuring myself as well. My weight has gone down about 15 pounds but my hips and waist have stayed the same.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how your body decides to reposition everything as you lose. When I first started losing, it mostly came from my upper body then my lower body and now it's sort of evenly distributed. But sizing is still frustrating. I'm down to a size 12 in pants but I'm still between a L and XL in tops because of my belly and fat upper arms.

Oh and yes, there is definitely a difference between a 16W and 16
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating.....I'm down nearly 40 and can still wear some of the same clothes I did before. It just means that the clothes really didn't fit previously. Clothing sizes in general are pretty annoying. I'm right there with you in a 16 today.