polar heart rate monitor

Options
ordered one of these, can't wait for it to get here!

anyone else have one? do you love it?:smile: (it's a chunk of money for me, but I think it's going to be worth it in the long run)

Replies

• RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a polar bluetooth as well as a regular FT 7. The bluetooth unit is all I use now - I have an iPhone and use Endomondo for workouts (mostly bike riding). Endomondo allows you to enter your minimum/maximum heart rates and it will calculate your zones. With other metrics, it determines your calorie burn in each zone. At the end of your workout, you'll get an analysis of how much time was spent in each zone and a pretty accurate calorie burn. I couldn't do without it!

Here's a workout I did yesterday. The first screen you see is the summary. In the column on the left, you will see an icon for HR zones - click it to see how much time I spent in each zone.
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/224408497/2364848

Hope this helps...

Tracy
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4 and really liked the F6 I had before it. Make sure you follow the use and care instructions and it should work great for you!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have a polar bluetooth as well as a regular FT 7. The bluetooth unit is all I use now - I have an iPhone and use Endomondo for workouts (mostly bike riding). Endomondo allows you to enter your minimum/maximum heart rates and it will calculate your zones. With other metrics, it determines your calorie burn in each zone. At the end of your workout, you'll get an analysis of how much time was spent in each zone and a pretty accurate calorie burn. I couldn't do without it!

Here's a workout I did yesterday. The first screen you see is the summary. In the column on the left, you will see an icon for HR zones - click it to see how much time I spent in each zone.
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/224408497/2364848

Hope this helps...

Tracy

how does it know your hydration? do you have to enter your fluid intakes?
  • susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Got it - LOVE it....no more guessing about calories burned during a workout:smile:
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7, love it!! I am sure you will be glad you got it :)
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Love my FT4, it's worth the money! :)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Polar FT 4, love it. Have it about 2 years.
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I LOVE :heart: :heart: :heart: my Polar HRM!!! can not live without it!!!
  • joergwb
    joergwb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What a coincidence! Mine just arrived today! I also got a Polar FT4. :-)
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4...LOVE IT! I don't have to gues about calorie burn anymore (I was severely OVER estimating using MFP's numbers) and it really motivates me during a workout to push harder. Worth every penny in my opinion. The best prices I found were on amazon...
  • chrismeece74
    Options
    My wife and I both have the Polar FT-4, use them every time we work out. Love them, for the price they cant be beat.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 works ok for calorie counting indoor workouts, I use GPS on my garmin forerunner and runkeeper on my iphone for running.
  • marlo665
    marlo665 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to buy one myself but I can't decide which to get the FT7 or FT4. Any thoughts on this?
  • natty1408
    natty1408 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar F11 (Pink Fizz) : D for four years. I now have the Polar FT 60F. I love it and can't train without it.
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    have the FT4 and love love love it!!!! has made a huge difference in my accountability.. ;-)
  • RagtimeLady
    Options

how does it know your hydration? do you have to enter your fluid intakes?

I'm not sure how it calculates that, but it's just a guideline to help you determine if you drank enough on your ride. I think you can also choose to see this on your smartphone screen as you're working out so you can see in real time if you're drinking enough. I love Endomondo! It has a problem calculating elevation properly, but I found a workaround that fixes it.

Endomondo also dumps your workout type, duration and calories directly into MFP. It's a nice feature! :-)
  • RagtimeLady
    Options
    I'm looking to buy one myself but I can't decide which to get the FT7 or FT4. Any thoughts on this?

If you have a smartphone or iPhone, skip those and get a bluetooth transmitter and an armband. Then use workout tracking software like Endomondo, MapMyRide, etc. to read the data - you'll get much better analysis. The FT7 gives you more info than the FT4.

Tracy
  • bemyownfitspo
    Options
    I recently got a Polar FT7 and I love it! Can't do a workout without it anymore!
    Love to see the calories burned difference between the watch and the machine, insane
    Would recommend it to anyone!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. I bought it last summer, and yeah, it was definitely a little tough to justify the cost but it's honestly so worth it. I feel like it was a major contributor to my weight loss (that, my food scale, and practicing moderation were KEY for me!) and I still use it all the time now that I'm in maintenance. I love it for home workouts and running outside or on the treadmill. Not great for strength training.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Love my FT4! I like how I need to hit a certain heart rate for it to start registering - it just motivates me to push harder and maintain that intensity during my workout!