Recipes for greek yogurt with vegetables?

Options
chad_phillips1123
chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
I'm doing the Chris Powell carb cycling diet and it's working well, but it calls for protein (size of your palm) and vegetables (size of two fists) for each meal. Usually (before carb cycling) I just have some Nostimo greek yogurt in the morning, but I've been eating eggs and tomatoes/salsa. I've used yogurt in place of sour cream and in other recipes or as a dip, but I can't think of what vegetables would go with plain greek yogurt for a meal; either eaten separately or mixed together. Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    YES! Tzatziki sauce! I always have it in my fridge and freezer and it has completely replaced all dips (except hummus) and ranch dressing for me. Great for marinading chicken, using as a dip, as a sauce, or with falafel (which is my favorite way to eat it). This is how you make it. It's so yummy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOkL5d8t1sM
  • chad_phillips1123
    Options
    That looks delicious! Will certainly be giving it a try.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    This veggie "pasta" salad...

6 cups cooked quinoa
    ½ cup plain Chobani Greek yogurt
    1 T. vinegar
    ½ tsp. kosher salt
    ½ tsp. Herbes de Provence
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1/8 tsp. onion powder
    1 scallion, sliced
    1 cup asparagus, diced
    1/2 cup sliced olives
    1/2 cup broccoli florets
    1 red pepper, diced

i don't know anything about the carb cycling diet, so I don't know if you can do quinoa. If not, then omit it and double up on the veggies. it's absolutely delicious, especially if you make it the night before and let it all meld in the fridge!

*Edited: I often omit the Herbes de Provence because the lavender can sometimes turn people off...Thyme is also very good in this salad.
  • chad_phillips1123
    Options
    Quinoa is considered a carb on the diet, so I could have it on high carb days, but not low carb days.

Will try the veggie pasta; though I've never bought scallions and I don't know what Herbes de Provence is. I also might add some more greek yogurt to the recipe. Thanks!
  • pamelajane26
    Options
    bump!
    This veggie "pasta" salad...

6 cups cooked quinoa
    ½ cup plain Chobani Greek yogurt
    1 T. vinegar
    ½ tsp. kosher salt
    ½ tsp. Herbes de Provence
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1/8 tsp. onion powder
    1 scallion, sliced
    1 cup asparagus, diced
    1/2 cup sliced olives
    1/2 cup broccoli florets
    1 red pepper, diced

i don't know anything about the carb cycling diet, so I don't know if you can do quinoa. If not, then omit it and double up on the veggies. it's absolutely delicious, especially if you make it the night before and let it all meld in the fridge!

*Edited: I often omit the Herbes de Provence because the lavender can sometimes turn people off...Thyme is also very good in this salad.
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's not really a recipe but I use Greek yogurt to dip carrots & cucumbers in. I love it (:
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    I've made a tuna salad with Greek yogurt. Chopped carrots, celery, sliced grapes some mustard seasonings done & good
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own fruit and yogurt parfaits.. I guess thats not a vegetable. I would say it would be safe to use it instead of sour cream in anything that your going to make.. You could even make ranch dip with it..
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    A scallion is just a green onion. Look for firm white bulbs, bright green stem and dry, crisp roots. Herbes de Provence is an herb blend from the south of France. It usually has basil, thyme and fennel...here in the States they add lavender to the mix. If you can't find it, just use a pinch of thyme and basil...it's not crucial to the salad at all.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I like plain greek yogurt mixed with lemon juice, garlic and dill then mix in diced tomatoes and cucumbers as a side dish , very refreshing.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    Cucumber
    tomato
    onion
    bell peppers
    Jalapeno
    Cauliflower
    sprouts
    All good with sour cream (to me anyhow). I like it add some vinegar and pepper to the mix.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have been known to mix plain Greek yogurt with stuff like cumin, coriander, red pepper, etc, and bake it over chicken. I suspect you could find a good mix to use with vegetables as a form of dipping sauce. I personally take most of my cooked vegetables either straight or drizzled with whatever cooked off of my meat.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    http://www.pinkberry.com/pinkberrygreek/signature-recipes
    Check out the combinations at Pinkberry for Greek yogurt. I liked both the tomato and the cucumber ones.
  • Sassyandsexymommy
    Sassyandsexymommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's a marinate for chicken kabobs which is not really what you are looking for but it's so good. I add as many veggies to the skewers as I can. Calls for regular yogurt but I always use Greek.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marinated-Greek-Chicken-Kabobs/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=85880193&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2012-06-10&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipe&me=1
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    All great ideas! Thanks!
  • bmn13
    bmn13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mix with dill and a little chopped garlic or garlic powder if you don't like the texture, and add as a topping/sauce/dip for salmon. Our favorite way to have salmon!

Then you can have any kind of veggies on the side. We usually do green beans and spinach.

(edited to add the veggies!)
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :drinker: bump
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    chickpea salad - mash chickpeas with greek yogurt and add spices like dill, sage, onion powder, garlic, oregano

use greek yogurt inplace of mayo and make a tuna salad with cucumbers and celery

dip veggies in the yogurt
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Chris Powell carb cycling diet and it's working well, but it calls for protein (size of your palm) and vegetables (size of two fists) for each meal. Usually (before carb cycling) I just have some Nostimo greek yogurt in the morning, but I've been eating eggs and tomatoes/salsa. I've used yogurt in place of sour cream and in other recipes or as a dip, but I can't think of what vegetables would go with plain greek yogurt for a meal; either eaten separately or mixed together. Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated!

I didn't read every one's responses first but you can buy the ranch dip powder packets and stir into greek yogurt for a fat free ranch dip