Half marathon in 6 weeks

Hello,

Looking for some help and advice here. Last year I did my first ever half marathon (Great North Run) and got a time of 1hr49. I did train properly for it, somewhere in the region of 4-5 months. I entered again this year but unfortunately this year hasn't gone as planned. It started off with a minor injury in the last mile of the race last year which didn't surface until a day or two later. This meant I couldn' t train properly and when I get this way my diet suffers as a result. Naturally I put weight on and begun the year 2 stone heavier than what I was during last years race (17st vs 15st). Add into the mix starting a new job, finding it quite stressful the majority of this year has been a yo yo affect. Train, poor diet and repeat. This largely due to being in the mindset that I was overtraining when in reality it was all in my head.

Two weeks ago I started back properly, completed 5 days back to back, 2 days having a mile run each. Unfortunately my birthday was last week so didn't help matters. I have just completed 5 days this week and 3 of them (Mon, Wed and today) I've been running. 3 miles Monday, 4 Wednesday and 7 today. Monday was indoors and the remainder outdoors. Monday and Wed I was running in compression tights and tracksuit pants and I think these were counter productive as running in shorts and compression socks today I was able to further. Naturally it was a slow but consistent pace at 11:51 per mile but I was able to jog 99% of the way through it and not much in the way of aches. Just what you would expect but nothing serious (i.e shin splints). My diet is clean with plenty of protein, to a point where I have lost pretty much a stone this week (another reason why I've been able to add distance as the weight has come off).

Anyway my question is I've got 6 weeks left until the race and the organisers state don't race unless you can comfortably run 8 miles which I believe I will be able to in the 6 weeks I have left. I am wondering if I should keep to my 3 runs per week but distance, so next week say 7-8 miles 3 times a week or should I do one long run of said distance but adding to it each week along with 2 further runs but shorter, say half an hour but speed/hill intervals (the latter probably on a treadmill.

I'm confident I can complete the race this year but being realistic in the fact I don't expect to beat or get close to last years time but I know I need to imrove my vo max again hence the dilema over the 3 long runs to get used to the distance or the 1 long run and 2 shorter ones. I will be training 5 (possibly 6) days per week but the other days will be low impact stuff so bike, cross trainer etc.

I know I'm not exactly sticking to the 10% rule here but then again I didn't exactly stick to it last year either. In fact during last years training I lost 2 stone in 4-6 weeks and as the weight came off the speed went up so I know the same principal will occur this time around plus last year I found as soon as I got a couple of longer runs under my belt I was able to go quicker.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    If you were to go out tomorrow with the instructions "go jog at a moderate pace until you're pretty darn tired but not totally torched" how far would your run be and what would your pace be?
  • craigp1981
    craigp1981 Posts: 10 Member
    It's hard to say without actually going out and trying it. The only thing I can compare it to was last April when I started the month running a mile and quickly got up to a mile and a half, 2, 3, 5 miles during the course of the month. I was then encouraged by colleagues to run to work otherwise they wouldn't sponsor me so this ended up being a jump from 5 to 8.5 miles. The 8.5 miles took an hour and a half at 10:32 per mile. The next day I managed 3.3 mile at a 10:46 pace.

I was about 10lbs lighter then than what I am currently at now but run to work I did have a backpack full so this quite possibly meant the long run at least I was carrying total weight not far off what I am now.

As a very rough guess I would say if I was to run tomorrow it would be 2-3 miles but pace wise I would expect the same as what I am on now 11:50. A lot of the time with me though it's all in my head and if I was to put my head down and get on with it I could probably accomplish more. It's getting the right balance between listening to your body because your at your limit but ignoring slight aches from 'in your head'.

Tomorrow's plan is to go out for a bike ride to recover, get some hills in to help lift the VO max. There's a local 5k run that I might try instead depending on how I feel.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I think you answered your own question. Even after training properly last year you finished the race with an injury that sidelined you.

Running it again, in 6 weeks, is an injury waiting to happen. Set your sights on running it in 2014 and take the time to rebuild your running fitness.
  • craigp1981
    I forgot to add the injury was nothing more then bruising on the underside of one of my feet. No other issues elsewhere. In fact I could have trained on it if I had of stuck to a stationary bike as there would have been little impact on it. Stupidly I stopped training altogether. I only picked this up by pushing myself too hard in the final mile as I was going for a time. Had I slowed the pace down a bit I'm confident none of this would have happened.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    GIven the time you have left my opinion is that you'll get the biggest training benefit by running long once a week. If you can get that long run up to 2 hrs 2 weeks before the race that would be ideal. One of the other runs could be medium long, 60 to 90 min, if you have the time and your body can handle it right now. These two runs will begin rebuilding your lost aerobic capacity quickly. For these runs the time on feet is most important so if you had to run/walk some to get in the time the benefit will still be there.

The other run could be shorter and faster at tempo pace to build some lactate tolerance.

I think running fast intervals right now to build vo2max would be counterproductive because you don't have the base on which to build it, the injury risk is higher, and it will reduct the time available to build aerobic capacity which is what you need the most of right now.
  • craigp1981
    GIven the time you have left my opinion is that you'll get the biggest training benefit by running long once a week. If you can get that long run up to 2 hrs 2 weeks before the race that would be ideal. One of the other runs could be medium long, 60 to 90 min, if you have the time and your body can handle it right now. These two runs will begin rebuilding your lost aerobic capacity quickly. For these runs the time on feet is most important so if you had to run/walk some to get in the time the benefit will still be there.

The other run could be shorter and faster at tempo pace to build some lactate tolerance.

I think running fast intervals right now to build vo2max would be counterproductive because you don't have the base on which to build it, the injury risk is higher, and it will reduct the time available to build aerobic capacity which is what you need the most of right now.

That's what I'm starting to think. 1 long run on a weekend for endurance slowly building the time/distance up and a couple of medium runs through the week. I work 6-7 miles away from a gym where I do my weight training and the route I would take isn't too taxing so I think this would be my plan. It is my hope as I drop weight and regain strength the pace will come down. That's exactly what happened last year. Once the weight dropped, the impact on my joints wasn't as much and I got faster as a result.

I should also point out that I'm using the term race loosely. The Great North Run is more of a fun run and this time around I will be looking to just complete it irrespective of time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    This does not sound like a good situation. Do they have a 5 or 10k that you could run that day instead? You're asking for an injury with this training schedule.

I would prioritize long runs and only do one or 2 shorter runs during the week- I would advise against 5 or 6 days of running a week- it's not going to buy you any extra benefit. If it were me, I would do
    Week 1- 5 miles
    Week 2 - 6 miles
    Week 3 - 7 miles
    Week 4 - 8 miles
    Week 5- 8 or 9 miles
    Do the long runs slowly- should feel more on the side of boring than tortuous.

And get plenty of rest, foam rolling, warm stretching, and light exercise in between. You need to eat properly, too. Cutting a big deficit while you do this will increase the probability of injury. Get rid of whatever preconceived time goals you have- at this point the goal should be to finish safely.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    It is my hope as I drop weight and regain strength the pace will come down. That's exactly what happened last year. Once the weight dropped, the impact on my joints wasn't as much and I got faster as a result.
    It will also happen faster the second time around. As you begin to improve don't let yourself get too carried away and ramp up training too fast. You still need to restrengthen your joints, tendons, muscles, etc.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    I think you answered your own question. Even after training properly last year you finished the race with an injury that sidelined you.

Running it again, in 6 weeks, is an injury waiting to happen. Set your sights on running it in 2014 and take the time to rebuild your running fitness.

This!
  • craigp1981
    Just to update everyone, it's been a tough six weeks but I've lost 2 stone in my training and got through the race in 01:54:27. Way quicker than what I expected and less than 5 minutes slower than last years time. I feel happier with this years performance given what little time I left myself with to train. I probably could have got under 1hr50 but been dealing with IT band issues at my knee which have been caused by lack of warming up on some of my training runs which caused me to slow down at the 10 mile mark. I am of course warming up now. Early indications are there's no injuries this time around unlike last year where I had a pain in my foot. Going to hopefully get some light cardio done tomorrow but will easing right back on the running for now but needless to say I will be training properly for next year as I'm looking to get under 1:44.

http://www.greatrun.org/Results/default.aspx?r=374&bib=9133
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Well done mate!
    I ran the GNR yesterday too. Was a great day despite the weather!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member

This!

+1