Query about heart rate monitors

Options
I know a lot of people here use a heart rate monitor. I'm a bit curious about them, but I guess I'd like to know what's the benefit? Presumably it lets you track your exercise more precisely, and thus your calories burned through exercise are more accurate? (I realize that the approximations given by MFP are just that -- approximations.) Also, my main form of cardio is swimming. Do HRMs work in the water (and not impede your stroke)? On land I do weights and stretching (including PT for my knee), and I imagine that having a monitor strapped to you would impede things. Is there any real benefit to getting one for someone like me?

Replies

• waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM for tracking my target HR during workouts to my goals. The only HRM I am aware that works in water is the Polar FT80, and I can tell you from experience it is very inaccurate.

If you do not do cardio outside of the water I do not believe this would benefit you much. It would give you more accurate calories burned, but for your exercises it wouldn't provide much benefit.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I use my Polar FT7 every single day. It is waterproof up to a certain depth (not sure how much), so you can definitely go swimming with it! The strap is not a big deal, you forget about it. The only issue I am having is that I have lost a lot of weight and now the strap is too big! That is a good thing though, and I will just order the small one.

I lift weights 3 times a week in the morning, go on afternoon walks, do yoga in the evening, go on long bike rides twice a week and do a lot of hiking, among other exercises. I wear my heart rate monitor for everything! Well, except yoga because I don’t care how many calories I burn doing yoga.

So, long story short, yes it would be very beneficial and motivating for you. Get one on eBay for cheaper!
  • natty1408
    natty1408 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60F. I love it and can't train without it. My HRM not only shows the calories I have burnt from each training session but also my HR zones, the time I spent in the zones and fat percentage burnt. I also have a programme on my watch for training and I like to reach these goals each week.

The HRM can used for swimming. There is a strap and a connector that goes around your chest for my HRM. I find it comfortable and do not notice that I am wearing it whilst training. It does not hinder any of my activities. If you are looking for accuracy - how many calories you are burning you could buy one. Depending on the make it is also beneficial to see the zones you are training in. This can also help improve your training. There are a variety of watches out there. Some cost the earth whilst others are quite reasonably priced. Also some HRM have straps and some don't.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I hadn't even considered the issue of a chest strap! I gather the ones with straps are much more accurate than the ones that are just a watch? Not sure if I could gather up the courage to wear a chest strap at the pool. I'm not a hard-core competitive athlete and probably don't want to create the impression that I'm trying to be one.

When it cools down a bit, and when my knee improves, I'm hoping to resume biking (and maybe walking more). Plus, I go for nature walks with my family most weekends, and it would be nice to have a better idea of how many calories I burn there. Perhaps I'll look into an HRM for the fall/winter/spring months.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Some of the amazon reviews for the Polar HRMs note that they don't work very well in highly chlorinated water. Unfortunately the pool that I mostly use is highly chlorinated (it's a YMCA, gets lots of kids ... best not to think about that too much). My wife has a chlorine allergy and is okay being near (not in but on the deck) some pools but can't handle the Y. So I'm guessing that using an HRM for my swimming is probably not a great idea.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use a Mio sports watch. It contains a heart rate monitor and doesn't require a chest strap.

I'm not sure how well it works in pools, but the website says it is water resistant up to 30m.