Exercise Ideas While "Injured"

Options
So, I was recently on vacation and did a number on my toes... hiking, running, sand volleyball (basically NOT taking it easy) led to some pretty serious skin being torn off from two toes on each foot. For the time being, they are bandaged and I am struggling to walk without a big limp. The worst part is that I'm told it will take "a long time" for them to fully heal.

Prior to this, I was walking/running anywhere from three to eight miles per day and this played a huge part in my weight loss and maintaining a positive mood. Since I can't do this for quite some time while my toes heal, I wondered if there are any other exercises I can do to tone/maintain weight until I can get back to hitting the pavement. I know I need to relax and heal, but at the same time I think there are probably certain workouts that I can still do so I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something in the meantime. Any ideas?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    What kind of equipment do you have access to? Do you go to a gym or workout at home?

A few cardio exercises that come to mind would be swimming and rowing. If you have access to free weights or machines, you can do some upper body resistance training (chest presses, shoulder presses, various bicep/tricep curls, and core exercises) as well as some lower body like leg curls, leg extensions, and back extensions.

Sorry to hear about the injury. I hope you recover quickly.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying a stationary bike (assuming it doesn't hurt your feet). Many bikes dont require you to push down with your toes when operating (try a recumbent bike). Fair warning, they are incredibly boring and I dont think they get the same results as running (since you aren't engaging your full body). When I had my shin splints and cut back on the treadmill, I used the stationary bike after taking a week off to heal.

I'm sorry that you are injured and I hope you heal quickly.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I am at the end of a "rest" period due to hurting a tendon near my ankle. I think I did something to it during 30DS. I, like you, had been running alot prior to the injury and I haven't run in 2 weeks! I have been taking 12 mile bike rides and doing non impact strength videos, like Turbo sculpt. You can also use a rowing machine. I also did some punching holding weights while in a squat.
    I know it's frustrating, but you need to heal first. I have been watching my diet closely, and have not gained any weight the past 2 weeks, but I haven't lost any either. REST UP!
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I tore my achilles tendon awhile back and was layed up for several months...one of my "friends" on here suggested chair aerobics. I actually got a few chair aerobic DVD's but they really weren't a very high intensity so I busted out my kickboxing DVD's and sat in my chair with weights in my hands mimicking as best I could the moves they were doing since I couldn't stand up (and adding a lot of frog hopping kind of movement with my legs to keep all body parts moving). In adding the legs while sitting, it was actually a REALLY good Core workout!! I worked up a sweat for sure!

And as they other person said - if you have access to a pool, swimming good if the water won't aggravate your skin!

Just some thoughts...hope they help you out....Your injury Sounds painful!! I hope you heal quickly!
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I sprained an ankle - 1 legged push ups and some pull ups and maybe crunches. But rest and heal is the best thing and I know it's going to be hard if you're someone who doesn't like to sit on your *kitten* allday( I have been through that ). Swimming is probably your best bet or walking on a beach if you have one near you.
    My advice is next time if you have some skin sticking out don't remove it, because it only gets worse.Glue it(i know it sounds weird, but trust me), that helps me when I have a the same issue and I can run the very next day.
  • engakwasdky
    engakwasdky Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great ideas and well wishes! I do have a gym membership, I just haven't used it since spring because it's been so nice outside for running. I think I will try out some of the ideas you all mentioned and cross my fingers for good results. I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who's struggled with an injury and working out :)

Thanks again!
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    Do you have easy access to a pool?
  • engakwasdky
    Options
    There is a pool at my gym, but I would be worried about how the chemicals would feel to my open wounds and whether or not it would be a good idea for me to get in out of respect for others using the pool (germs, etc.)... but what would be some good pool exercises to do if that were an option?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    get some mole skin
  • engakwasdky
    Options
    ^ Excellent idea... thank you! :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    also, do push ups. if done on your knees, you won't be putting pressure on your toes.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Put moleskin over the injuries.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would think biking (outdoor or indoor) would be OK. Stick with easy paths, low resistance and use a high cadence (ie make it as easy as you can to push the pedals so you're not pushing down on your toes a lot).