Body image, dating, etc...

Options
Good morning, y'all.

So, typically guys don't worry that much about body image issues, but after losing a lot of weight, I still see myself as the fat guy. I would hope that others have had this happen as well.

Over the last year and a half, I've worked really hard at losing weight and eating healthy foods, and I've seen a lot of progress. I'm getting ready to run my first half marathon a week from Saturday, and I've already run two 10Ks and a 10 mile race. However, I feel like I still see the old me sometimes in the mirror. Being a short guy, I often wondered if a girl would ever date a guy that was short and fat. Now, I wonder sometimes if a girl would date a short guy. So, some progress.

If any of you have had a similar experience, please share. Talk about how you've over come this.

Replies

• sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have not had that experience, but I am a short girl. Being short is not such a big deal to others who are short. It might help you to take some pictures with other people (try to choose people who are similar in height to you if possible) but then you can see how you look next to others and that you are not the fat guy anymore.

Just keep working at it, and keep running, you'll come across a short sweetheart I'm sure.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    oh, and being thinner will make you appear taller too :smile:
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm not short, so I can't really relate to that.

but I disagree on guys not worrying about self image. I worry about mine a lot, always have... probably always will. It's just a stereotype that guys don't care.

I know it's a cliche, but it's all about confidence.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Be pleasant and don't be a slob. Accept and appreciate your positive aspects. Don't anticipate negative interactions. Good luck!
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't let being short hold you back! Personality is so much more important to women. I suggest you practice, practice, practice putting yourself out there. Chat up some of the ladies at your upcoming race...be honest, sincere and confident when you do and I know that you'll start to feel better about your dating possibilities.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Good morning, y'all.

So, typically guys believe cultural stereotypes that make them think they're the only dude in the world who worries that much about body image issues, but after losing a lot of weight, I still see myself as the fat guy. I would hope that others have had this happen as well.

Over the last year and a half, I've worked really hard at losing weight and eating healthy foods, and I've seen a lot of progress. I'm getting ready to run my first half marathon a week from Saturday, and I've already run two 10Ks and a 10 mile race. However, I feel like I still see the old me sometimes in the mirror. Being a short guy, I often wondered if a girl would ever date a guy that was short and fat. Now, I wonder sometimes if a girl would date a short guy. So, some progress.

If any of you have had a similar experience, please share. Talk about how you've over come this.

Fixed that.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Good morning, y'all.

So, typically guys believe cultural stereotypes that make them think they're the only dude in the world who worries that much about body image issues, but after losing a lot of weight, I still see myself as the fat guy. I would hope that others have had this happen as well.

Fixed that.

QFT.
  • rbccg1979
    rbccg1979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'2" so yes, a woman will date a short man.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    oh, and being thinner will make you appear taller too :smile:

And longer.
  • danielbwest
    danielbwest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
  • danielbwest
    danielbwest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    First... thank you for sharing.

Second... I have found it is easier to lose the weight that you are carrying on your body, than it is to lose the weight that you THINK you are carrying in your head. REGARDLESS of what gender you are.

The only thing I can say is... take pictures. Take some of you in the mirror. Have someone else take pics of you too, or set your camera to time delay.

Sometimes the non mirror image is different enough (because the features are flipped) to help you see yourself differently.

But yeah, you have to work on losing the weight in your mind.

As for "short"... well to someone your height or a bit taller, you aren't short. There IS someone out there who will love you for your height, current weight, and yes, even your current mental weight too.

Stand proud, and congratulations on losing the weight!