trying to start clean eating

Options
Hi, my name is Jessica. Im a 21 year old mother of 2 beautiful boys and i just let myself go once i became a mother weighing in at.... (drumroll) 224.6 and 5'4 ugh!. But i am finally working on getting myself back to me not just for me but also for my boys. I am doing insanity and attempting to eat well. I have lost 13lbs in the last 4 weeks. I am trying to learn more about clean eating. The diet is the part that is huge struggle! Im looking for a clean eating grocery list and tips on how to eat clean for someone who hasnt eaten veggies my whole life! Im totally up for trying new things. I just dont know any recipes for eating clean or cooking with veggies. Anyway if you guys have any tips or ideas for eating please please please share! Would love a grocery list as well as recipes for familys :)! Thanks everyone ahead of time. Last feel free to add me Im always in need of motivation from others. :)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pls define clean eating
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm a clean eater! I think the hardest part is getting going, once you get on a roll its easy. The first step is finding a handful of basic recipes and meals that you can fall back on. Learn how to make atleast 5 clean meals by heart and then branch out from there. Start with a recipe book if you are the type that needs to follow recipes for cooking. There are tons of Clean Eating cookbooks out there. I specially follow Paleo eating, the majority of the time. I switched to Paleo (meats, veggies, fruit, nuts only ... no grains, dairy, etc) straight from a 3 year long vegetarian diet and it was a major adjustment. I had to re-learn how to cook meat. Anyway, the way I started was by searching the internet and cookbooks and learning a few basic recipes by heart and making those my staples. Each week I would try 1 or 2 new recipes with new ingredients or cooking methods and as I found ones that I liked my recipe repertoire grew. Now I know enough about clean eating and cooking that I can make up recipes on the fly and put them together in my head, grocery shop for recipes mostly without a list (if needed) and rarely have to follow a recipe. But I still have those few basics to fall back on in case I get in a bind.

Some of my basics are:
    Tuna Salad
    Braised Balsamic Ribs in the crockpot (3 ingredients: Beef Short Ribs, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar and an optional drizzle of honey)
    Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs
    Bacon Wrapped Curry Chicken Thighs
    Salsa Chicken
    Grilled Shrimp or fish
    Turkey Burgers (mix up the seasonings .. try green chilies and cilantro)

Snacks:
    Boiled Eggs (keep peeled in the fridge)
    Larabars
    Cauliflower Hummus (make a batch at beginning of the week and keep in fridge) w/ sugar snap peas

I typically make the protein and throw a veggie together as the side item. You can roast most veggies at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes with a little oil, salt and pepper and they turn out great. Veggies I like to roast: sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, okra, carrots, asparagus (only takes 7 ish minutes).

Hope this helps!
  • efish3
    efish3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump