Adding protein

Options
Okay, so as recommended by my dietician, I should be getting 25% of my calories from protein. I seem to do okay up to 20% but I cant seem to make it to 25%. I eat a lean meat with lunch and dinner most of the time and breakfast usually has some protein. How can I increase? Besides the obvious eggs and meat, what else contains high levels of protein? I know sometimes people on here tend to get very opinionated and I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't need anyone to tell me to change the percentage. I just want help achieving it. Thanks! :)

Replies

• sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    try protein shakes . they are the best ! also try adding some egg whites in your breakfast AND right before you go to bed . around 45% of my diet is protein! feel free to look up my diary for inspirations
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    try protein shakes . they are the best ! also try adding some egg whites in your breakfast AND right before you go to bed . around 45% of my diet is protein! feel free to look up my diary for inspirations

Thank you so much!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A single scoop of the powder I use, Isopure Zero Carb, is 25 grams of protein and only 110 calories. That alone should be enough to get you there.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Yep, came in here to say protein powder. My breakfast shake is usually 2 scoops with almond milk and fruit. I have another shake after my workout on lifting days. Easy, yummy, filling. Done.

I use Body Fortress brand, which you can find at Walmart. It's inexpensive compared to the health food store brands. I also love Muscle Milk brand.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Beans! High in fibre and protein and (if bought in bulk) dirt cheap.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protein too. Some are high in sugar so chose wisely. Fage plain is a good one and you can add in fresh berries or do like I do and put oatmeal, chia seeds and fruit.. so yummy!
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    Sounds like you are only eating 3 times a day since you mentioned breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat 5 times a day, every three hours so I get plenty of protein. I get all my protein from food so I eat one egg WITH a yolk for breakfast and 3-4 without the yolk. Three hours later, that meal has protein of course (1 chicken breast or a piece of fish - cod/tilpia/halibut).

Three hours later is about 4:30/5pm and I eat the same thing. Three hours later is my pre-workout meal and again, same meal. My post workout meal is the same without a carb.

Plus eating 5-6 times a day every 2.5-3 hours will speed up your metabolism. When I lost 5 lbs, I adjust my macros. If you can't go back to the doc for your protein intake adjustment, try www.iffym.com. They have a calculator to help you adjust your macros.

Good luck!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are only eating 3 times a day since you mentioned breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat 5 times a day, every three hours so I get plenty of protein. I get all my protein from food so I eat one egg WITH a yolk for breakfast and 3-4 without the yolk. Three hours later, that meal has protein of course (1 chicken breast or a piece of fish - cod/tilpia/halibut).

Three hours later is about 4:30/5pm and I eat the same thing. Three hours later is my pre-workout meal and again, same meal. My post workout meal is the same without a carb.

Plus eating 5-6 times a day every 2.5-3 hours will speed up your metabolism. When I lost 5 lbs, I adjust my macros. If you can't go back to the doc for your protein intake adjustment, try www.iffym.com. They have a calculator to help you adjust your macros.

Good luck!

Meal timing, macro timing and meal frequency are irrelevant and do not speed up your metabolism. Please do some research. It will help you understand why you lost weight on YOUR meal/diet plan.

The OP asked for specific help in increasing her protein intake. Your diary is locked, so I can't see what your current sources of protein are with your meals. However, a quick way to increase from 20-25% would be to increase the amount of your protein sources that you currently eat with your meals. You mentioned you eat lean meat for lunch and dinner. Increasing the size/amount of meat will help increase your protein intake. I'm not sure what you eat for breakfast, but adding a scoop of protein to oatmeal, or an extra egg white or two to an omelette can also help you hit your goals with minimal effort. As was also mentioned, as long as you have room with your other macros, adding greek yogurt as a snack, or beans to a meal will also increase your protein intake. Protein bars are also a fast and easy (and cheap, depending on the brand) way to increase your protein intake.
  • fitobsessed
    Options

Good luck!

Meal timing, macro timing and meal frequency are irrelevant and do not speed up your metabolism. Please do some research. It will help you understand why you lost weight on YOUR meal/diet plan.

The OP asked for specific help in increasing her protein intake. Your diary is locked, so I can't see what your current sources of protein are with your meals. However, a quick way to increase from 20-25% would be to increase the amount of your protein sources that you currently eat with your meals. You mentioned you eat lean meat for lunch and dinner. Increasing the size/amount of meat will help increase your protein intake. I'm not sure what you eat for breakfast, but adding a scoop of protein to oatmeal, or an extra egg white or two to an omelette can also help you hit your goals with minimal effort. As was also mentioned, as long as you have room with your other macros, adding greek yogurt as a snack, or beans to a meal will also increase your protein intake. Protein bars are also a fast and easy (and cheap, depending on the brand) way to increase your protein intake.

Please re-read. My point was to increase her meals therefore increasing the amount of her protein intake. It was a SUGGESTION. I can unlock my diary, but I don't use Myfitnesspal all the time for tracking my food - I use it sporadically. Thanks for the tip on the research, but I researched plenty AND spoke to a personal trainer so please stick to what works for you and I'll stick to what works for me and offering SUGGESTIONS. Loosen up a bit - maybe YOUR meal plan is causing you to be a tad bit uptight like the other poster.
  • ChiManLifts
    Options

Good luck!

Meal frequency and bmr are two unrelated things-I doubt that this point will ever get through to Mfp, though.

A lot of protein sources have alread been listed-tilapia, eggs, salmon, cod, tuna, chicken, turkey breast and plenty more.

If you're having trouble in terms of feeling too full to meet protein requirements, I'd invest in optimum whey 100%. It doesn't have any of the unnecessary extras. If you're looking for a meal replacement, bsn syntha is a better option to add to.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Optimum 100% whey is decent for the price to spike up your protein. Generally I'll buy the Vanilla and blend it with some Coconut or Almond milk and some berries or w/e I have laying in the fridge I'm too lazy to eat.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, Greek yogurt w crystal light, tuna, boca veggie burgers (you'll either love or hate), chicken breast (boneless & skinless, fresher frozen).
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Peanuts and cashews, mozzarella cheese is good for cheese, quest bars are tasty. And the go to meat. People who eat more plant-based than me can prolly come up with some protein heavy veggies.

Assuming it's hard to budget in those things within your calorie limit, protein powders are good I hear.
  • aylanah
    aylanah Posts: 10
    Options
    Non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I use liquid flavorings that are usually for baking to flavor), low-fat cottage cheese, protein powder, fish, shrimp, lean meat, lean deli meats, seitan, tempeh, soy foods, veggie burgers and tofu! I'm on a high lean protein based diet, and these have worked well for me. :) Good luck!
  • aylanah
    aylanah Posts: 10
    Options
    Optimal Nutrition, Gold Standard - 100% Whey - Double Rich Chocolate is one of my weapons to nip my chocolate cravings!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein has about 10% more protein per gram then standard protein. I use Black Widow Hydromax Whey atm.
    also Protein snack bars which for 25gm bars contain 10gms of protein and bugger all salt and sugar, good for a quick fix they taste like after dinner mints but twice the size :)

Chicken and Turkey also have more Protein per gram then red meat and less fat generally but slightly more salt in the case of turkey.

Nature's Way Natural Protein powder is also good tho it has slightly less Protein then Whey does.

should be eating 1gm per lb of Lean Body Mass, i have to eat around 35% (150-177gms) per day try that and not get in too much sodium, carbs, fats and sugars its not easy,

Monday-Fridays i train after work due to having to leave for work at 5am
    I generally have a protein shake in the morning regardless of whether i have carbs in the form of Oats or i have eggs either scrambled or hard boiled and my breakfast is the largest meal on most days intentionally. and another Protein Shake pre-workout
    maybe another one in the middle of the day aswell depending and either way i have them with 600mls of water which makes water consumption considerably easier getting in 2.5+ltrs.

Then 4 other meals, Morning Tea, Lunch, Pre-Workout and Dinner and try to get atleast 25-30 grms of protein in some form into each.. incorporate, Ham, Lean Meats, Chicken, Eggs, Nuts (Almonds/Walnuts)

On the weekends i train in the mornings but the meals are roughly the same timing and amounts.