Eating When You Aren't Hungry???

Options
I see people posting about forcing themselves to eat even when they aren't hungry so that they can make their calorie goals. I feel like this doesn't make sense? I have days like this too, but I just don't eat if my body doesn't tell me it is hungry. I feel like if my body needed fuel, it would tell me so. Wouldn't it? I'm confused. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• fitobsessed
    Options
    I eat 5 times a day, every 3 hours so some days (because I drank so much water), I'm not hungry. But I at least TRY to eat my protein (chicken or fish or turkey) and some of my veggie and carbs. It's important I keep my metabolism at the level it's at.
  • dapattni
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I exercise 5-6 days a week and burn 100 calories a day. I am trying to lose 1-2 pounds a day therefore what should be my NET everyday ? I am so confused.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Just like our bodies don't tell us right away when we're full or thirsty, you may not get the hungry signal. Sometimes the signs are sublte like you're just a bit tired and/or cranky. Just because you're not feeling hunger pains doesn't mean you shouldn't give your body some fuel.

In fact, for some people, waiting too long to eat can lead to binging when the hunger fully kicks in. I used to be one of those people who skipped breakfast figuring why eat the calories if I wasn't really hungry, right? Then I'd eat lunch and my metabolism kicked into high gear and I would be starving all afternoon. Didn't help that I ate all the wrong things too - high carb stuff that didn't keep me full for long.

Also, I'm thinking "force" feeding is probably an overdramatization of what's really going on. If you're stuffed full then obviously you don't just keep putting food in your body just to reach a calorie goal. And on the other side of the coin, you don't go to bed hungry just because you've already hit your calorie goal. A couple hundred calories either way isn't going to make a big deal, especially as long as you at least net 1200 and are eating right so that you're meeting all your nutritional/macro needs.
  • dapattni
    Options
    I ment to say I burn 1000 calories a day.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I exercise 5-6 days a week and burn 100 calories a day. I am trying to lose 1-2 pounds a day therefore what should be my NET everyday ? I am so confused.

Yikes. You're starving yourself! You need to eat back the burned calories so your net is 1200 if that's what your eating.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    In fact, for some people, waiting too long to eat can lead to binging when the hunger fully kicks in. I used to be one of those people who skipped breakfast figuring why eat the calories if I wasn't really hungry, right? Then I'd eat lunch and my metabolism kicked into high gear and I would be starving all afternoon. Didn't help that I ate all the wrong things too - high carb stuff that didn't keep me full for long.

This.

I try to eat at regular intervals even if I'm not especially hungry for this exact reason. When my body does finally decide to tell me it's hungry, I'm usually starving. If it goes on too long, I will eat way more than I need or had planned for and it will mostly be junk for the quick energy. Also, eating throughout the day like this helps keep my energy level consistent.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    When my brother was in law school, he only ate when he was hungry: once every three days. He permanently damaged his thyroid because of it.

Your body doesn't always tell you what you need to know.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That's why they like to say eat at six hour intervals, but some people eat something every four hours. For me, personally, I'm hungry for three meals and occasionally a snack, but my portions tend to be modest (except with Indian food!) and I exercise a lot.

I just tend not to eat late at night because it's a bad habit. I hear that some people get out of bed and eat something and go back to bed. I have never done that. If I am hungry after I've gone to bed -- too bad, it's time to sleep, not time to eat. I can make something to eat in the morning.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every 3 hours. If I wait until I'm hungry I'm usually about 5 minutes away from fainting.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Eating when you aren't hungry will happen at one point. It happens to me everyday now, particularly when I'm bulking. However, it's important to get in your macros and the appropriate amount of calories even without an appetite.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal is 1200 and you burn 1000 you eat 2200 for the day. Your loss deficit is already figured into the 1200 calorie number. Eat more caloric foods. Do not use low fat or nonfat diet products. Have a handful of nuts. Cook your veggies with a bit of oil.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

Yikes. You're starving yourself! You need to eat back the burned calories so your net is 1200 if that's what your eating.
    readjust your goals to lose 0.5-1 lb a week. mfp should up your daily calories. eat your exercise calories back or calculate your TDEE and then eat 15% less. but please eat more than 1200 calories if you're burning 1000 calories a day.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    i have days where I want to eat all the noms. then there's others where it's 8pm and I still have 1000 calories left to eat. every once and a while I will just not eat all of my calories for the day, but if it's a workout day, I make sure to eat relatively close to what I'm supposed to, and try my hardest to hit my macros.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every 3 hours. If I wait until I'm hungry I'm usually about 5 minutes away from fainting.

This exactly.

I don't seem to have the growling stomach when I get hungry, I just get very shaky and know I need to eat NOW.

So to prevent that I eat every 2/3 hours and I haven't had a problem since.
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Meh, I eat once or twice a day with about 18-20 hours of no food. Your body adjusts and burns more fat this way (do your own research). You also don't get the hunger pangs you think you'd get. I'm only actually hungry if I eat breakfast. Easy day.
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is my point of view:
    for weight loss, you would eat at TDEE - x % ( -10% or -20%, it depends of your goal).
    In general, It is not important how many time you eat during the day, so choose what is confortable for your body.
    Anyway, it is better to distribute your calorie intake during the day.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eating When You Aren't Hungry???

BUMP FOR FOLLOW UP