Tricks to Make Vegetables Yummy

Options
I like meat, fruit, and grains. I hate vegetables and other foods I need to add to my diet to eat healthier and get the nutrition my body needs.

I would like to be able to eat nuts, seeds, avacados, spinach, broccoli, squash, and sweet potatoes just name a few. When I eat these, I am horribly disgusted by the textures and tastes I am experiencing.

Does anyone have recipes they can share or just meal ideas that could hide or improve the taste/textures of these foods?

I am looking for recipes that do not include grains, starches, dairy, or legumes because I am doing Whole30.

Replies

• Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always grill or steam my veggies. Another way you can help mask their texture and flavors is blending them and adding them to sauces such as pasta sauce. :]
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think oven roasting improves a lot of the firmer vegetables, like broccoli and sweet potatoes (cut in chunks or wedges). Toss them in a bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Then spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-45 minutes (depending in veggie). Flip them over half way through.

For squash or spinach, I like to steam in microwave and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and a little oil or butter.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a pretty easy one since you can add it to smoothies, salads, burgers, etc. my mom likes to use avocados to make chocolate pudding. I always just steam my broccoli with some salt, but I'm sure there are other ways you can cook it. I know that people like to use cauliflower instead of rice or as a substitute for bread; you could always check that out.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Roasting with salt and herbs and oil/butter (you don't need a ton) make everything taste great to me :)
  • tigrebee
    Options
    This is such a yummy way to eat vegetables! I was never a huge fan, but I love carrots, sweet potatoes, and brussels sprouts cooked in the oven. I still toss them with a little olive oil and use an herbes de provence seasoning instead of the salt and pepper.

You can also cook spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute. Takes a little getting used to but soooo good once you do.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, roasting is probably the best. Steaming or boiling can leave vegetables mushy.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I really like to BBQ veggies, all you need is a little olive oil and salt and pepper or whatever seasonings you like. Zucchini, mushrooms, peppers and red onions are so good this way.
  • fitkate80
    fitkate80 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, yum! Roasted with OO and seasonings. Try parsnips, with OO, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. I could really eat them every day ;)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I bake broccoli and cauliflower all the time and I eat broccoli pretty much everyday...

salt, pepper, garlic, oil (I use coconut oil) and if you want some thyme... mix with your hands toss it in the oven at 375 for 1/2 hour (or more, cauliflower usually takes about 45 or so) and voila, done.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Don't eat stuff you hate.

But realize that there's usually a thousand horrible ways to prepare them, and one or two really good ways. As an example - my wife hated broccoli, until I pan-roasted it with a bit of garlic and olive oil. Good prep is key.

I love broccoli, I eat it by the ton, always have... but when I was growing up, my grandmother insisted on boiling it in a pressure cooker until it was an unidentifiable lump of gray-green mush. She would be perplexed because I always ate at home.

Also, keep trying new ones. Eventually you'll find something you like.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like meat, fruit, and grains. I hate vegetables and other foods I need to add to my diet to eat healthier and get the nutrition my body needs.

I would like to be able to eat nuts, seeds, avacados, spinach, broccoli, squash, and sweet potatoes just name a few. When I eat these, I am horribly disgusted by the textures and tastes I am experiencing.

Does anyone have recipes they can share or just meal ideas that could hide or improve the taste/textures of these foods?

I am looking for recipes that do not include grains, starches, dairy, or legumes because I am doing Whole30.

I like to make a meat soup or stew (chicken, beef, whatever you like) with chunks of the veggies that everyone in the house will eat (red potatoes, carrots, green beans?). Then I cook a small separate pot of stock and greens and other veggies not everyone likes. A small amount of sweet potato would work here. I puree the "yucky" veggies until they are seriously just liquid. Then pour the puree into the soup. It took my last roommate, who hates most things green, about 3 bowls before she asked "What is in this? It rocks!"

I did the same thing with our post-workout smoothies. I got her to trust me and then I snuck in a handful of spinach. Mwahaha I am the evil veggie sneaker!

If you like tuna salad or chicken salad, use mashed avocado instead of mayo. You'll never look back. So good.
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One thing I do, for example, is mix spinach with the fruit(s) of my choice, a cup of unsweetened almond milk (regular fat free milk when bulking) and a scoop of a protein powder and converting it all into a shake. It doesn't sound tasty but the spinach, if you have a good blender, you won't even taste it.
  • amylynn586
    Options
    My FAVORITE right now is asparagus grilled OR roasted in the oven with some extra virgin olive oil & a light amount of Johnny's seasoning salt. OMG. I also did it with broccoli. And tonight going to try with some fresh snap peas. :D
    The asparagus just takes about 10 minutes or so on the grill & in the oven I do it on a baking sheet, (usually covered in tin foil- I hate doing dishes) @ 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes - depends how "done" you like them :)
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I love veggies for the most part...but eggplant and zucchini...not so much! With the gardens spewing out both items I am determined to find a way to like them!

I chop them up, along with a jalapeno, onion and garlic. Saute all in coconut oil, with salt and pepper....I start the onions and jalapeno first....I like both the eggplant and the zucchini el dente... Yum! The texture is NOT mushy and with the jalapeno it adds just enough kick!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bacon grease- I cook all my veggies in bacon grease.

Zucchini? bacon grease- salt- pepper and garlic salt.

bacon wrapped asparagus? yes please!!!

bacon makes everything better.

No really.

It does.
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think oven roasting improves a lot of the firmer vegetables, like broccoli and sweet potatoes (cut in chunks or wedges). Toss them in a bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Then spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-45 minutes (depending in veggie). Flip them over half way through.

^^ THIS ... Mmm this is my favourite way to eat broccoli and sweet potatos
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Fry half a cup of onions in a bit of butter/oil (depending on preference);,add your vegetable,chopped, and half a cup of white wine. Cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Puree. Add half a cup of cream. Season with salt and pepper. This is a way to make even kids love veggies, but of course, at the cost of adding a lot of calories (cream). I find it best with broccoli but it can be done with any vegetable.