Stuck in a rut

Options
Hey all, It seems that im stuck in a rut. I have been working out for the past month and a half. All was going well until 2 weeks ago. I have been at the same weight for 2 weeks and its not only frustrating but making me lose my motivation. I have been maintaining my calorie intake between 1500-1800 (closer to 1500 on a daily basis), water consumption (its all I drink. at minimum 8 glasses a day), working out at least 35 minutes a day (on average about 45 mins), I even have thrown in jogging/walking along with my workout to burn some extra calories. I do take daily vitamins as well http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11745458

I am wondering if this is normal or if there's some underline issue I need to get resolved. On the plus side I have lost a total of 20 lbs! Still have 30 to go.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    2 weeks plateaus happen all the time. Just make sure you weigh your food properly and keep going.
  • MysticTrev
    Options
    Alright, Thank You!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    2 weeks isn't considered a plateau - i think more 4-6 weeks is considered a plateau.

Just keep it up - you may actually be eating too little if you're closer to 1500, depending on what types of workouts you are doing, you may not be eating enough at 1500.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You're doing great - don't let this get you demotivated. It's not a rut it's just life. If you say you just started running too, I bet that's part of it. When I started running I hit a bump too. Supposedly muscles hold water to repair - I guess I believe that because as soon as they weren't sore anymore or as soon as they were used to my abuse - I went right back to dropping weight.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm an expert, but......Try changing up your workout. More long-endurance cardio. A sixty-to-seventy minute walk while listening to a podcast after weights is enjoyable and elevates that metabolism. I agree, plateaus are typical.
  • tarakizer
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Some/most/all?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    drink some whiskey and climb out,
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    2 weeks definitely not a plateau. The weight didn't get put on over night, won't come off that quick. I think we all see pretty steady results at first, but then your body has a "what? what's going on???" get's used to what you are doing, realizes what you are doing is good for it, then starts up again.

Maybe change things up just to try something new/different.

You seem to be right on target with how much you're losing and the amount of time you've lost it in.

just stay the course!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    drink some whiskey and climb out,

And this too! Haha
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You have to consider this a long term thing, like a forever long term thing. Give it a year...10 months at the very least, to lose your goal of 50 lbs. You will probably lose it faster than that...and if you do, that's great! But if you don't then you still allow for the weight fluctuations and ups and downs that goes with measuring by the scale. Look at it this way, if you have $12.00 (one dollar for each month) and someone asks to borrow $.50...you would do it without thinking about it, because in the grand scheme of things, $.50 is no big deal. Now, cut that down to $2.00 or even $3.00 (2-3 months)...now $.50 (two weeks) seems like a whole lot more.

You can't get in the "I HAVE TO LOSE IT ALL...NOW!!!" mindset or you will set yourself up for disappointment and failure.

Two weeks is not a rut, it's just the way this goes.