High Protein/Low Calorie Snacks for work (Preferrably Cheap)

Options
So I know I can search, but there are so many topics that aren't quite what I want.

I work at a desk and usually have crunchmaster crackers, yogurt, string cheese or granola bars for a snack... but I'm looking for something that is high in protein and low in calories that I can either keep at work in my drawer or is quick and easy to bring every day. I don't care for tuna all that much, but any other good ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% plain or other greek yogurts
    almonds or celery with almond butter or small banana with almond butter
    string cheese + natural applesauce
    rolled up deli turkey
    Think Thin bars, gluten free, sugar free, yummy (200 cal 20g protein)
    EAS low carb protein shakes (100 cal 17g protein)
    cottage cheese snack size (I like to mix a little peanut or almond butter in mine)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you have a refrigerator available then things like cottage cheese and hardboiled eggs are great for snacks as well. For you desk drawer, nuts and pork rinds make great high protein snacks. Jerky is good too but not cheap.
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.

Yeah, I love me some jerky but it is just too expensive. And when I make it myself, it usually goes bad before I eat it all.
  • ferreteers
    ferreteers Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good, portable and easy to keep.
    Hard boiled eggs are a great snack if you have a fridge or cooler for them to keep.
    Peanut butter, almond butter on celery
    You can make your favorite cheese crisps:
    http://www.joyfulabode.com/2010/04/25/low-carb-snacks-homemade-baked-cheese-crisps-recipe/

or a recipe for low carb fudge: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/peanut_butter_fudge.html
  • DreamingOfRippedAbs
    Options
    Yeah, I love me some jerky but it is just too expensive. And when I make it myself, it usually goes bad before I eat it all.

We purchased a Food Saver for times like this and it works great. I highly recommend one.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of peanut butter
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    or a 1/4 cup of peanuts.....usually 12 servings in one can I buy kroger brand and they are $1.99. 12 servings for $2.00 isn't bad
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    turkey jerky
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a stash of almonds in my desk drawer...as well as, a couple of protein bars, which I picked up at a discount...
    I usually do my high protein meals at lunch & dinner, so I will bring a peach, berries or cherries for snacks.

Jerky is sooooo delicious!
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I use some of the following:

Quest Brownie Bar Microvaved or Baked
    Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey
    Pure Protein Chocolate and Peanut Butter Bars
    For a snack (not as healthy, though when I splurge) Oh Yeah bars
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have almond and jerky stashes too. Seems to work the best.

Edit: How is your jerky going bad... the point of jerky is that it doesn't go bad for ... like ever. :laugh:
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! Greek yogurt. :)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Protein powder of your choice (most will mix ok even in a standard water bottle if you don't want to get a shaker bottle), Quest bars (watch for sales, They were buy2get1 and I had a coupon for GNC which brought the cost down to ~$1), nuts and seeds have protein but are mostly healthy fat. You could get powdered eggs, a coffee mug, and a microwave but it won't be great. This would work with regular eggs or egg beaters too if you have a fridge. Bring in some deli meat, veggies, or whatever. I will warn you that this does smell, so it isn't great if people sit close to your microwave. They might hate you.

I also keep canned soups and a glass bowl at my desk. I precook chicken, beef, or pork along with carrots and zuchinni, then freeze them in pre-portioned baggies. I grab it in the morning, and the mix will thaw by lunch. I mix it with the appropriate flavor of soup for a very filling low cal lunch/snack. The mix is also good in a tortilla like a burrito.
  • talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I sometimes keep protein bars, nuts and jerky at my desk, and bring hard boiled eggs in the fridge.
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have almond and jerky stashes too. Seems to work the best.

Edit: How is your jerky going bad... the point of jerky is that it doesn't go bad for ... like ever. :laugh:

I think I don't get all of the fat off of the meat that I use and it makes it go rancid :/
  • MalinLondon
    MalinLondon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Egg Muffins!!! =)
    Cottage cheese with berries
    Quark with berries
    Nuts
    Rice cake with turkey ham
  • mlashbrooke83
    Options
    Turkey jerky sounds great. Does anyone have an idiot safe recipe? Cheers M