Does anyone besides me do Callanetics?

Options
vec2013
vec2013 Posts: 30 Member
I know programs like Insanity and P90X are all the rage, but does anyone still do Callanetics? I was a ballet dancer for 13 years before injury sidelined me. These exercise are something we did 4-5 days a weeks to increase flexibility and maintain or figures. It seems like they would be very beneficial for this unable to do the " intense" workouts that are currently popular.

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Aren't those exercises with a very small range of movement?
  • sunseeker100
    sunseeker100 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did this years ago and was amazed with the results. I also loved all the movements, which is a definite plus for me as I hate most forms of exercise. I had the exercises in a book by the lady who 'invented' it, but from various house moves it was lost and I've tried everywhere to get something again, either a book, DVD etc but can't find anything except VHS videos from the 80s :( I've even tried charity shops to see if I can the same book but no luck.
    Do you use something in particular to follow? It would be great if I could lay my hands on something again. I agree with you, Insanity etc just don't appeal to me and I have to do something that I enjoy as my attention span and motivation are severely lacking :flowerforyou:
  • vec2013
    Options
    Amazon has the Dvd's. We used these movement/ exercises religiously for ballet training. The dvd's are the same old tapes just converted, but are still excellent. The may seem like small range of motion but they work every muscle. They also tighten loose skin and are excellent for increasing flexibility. One hour burn about 240 calories and 10 to 20 hours shows major inches decreased.
  • vec2013
    Options
    See my response post.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A decade ago...can't believe anyone else knows about callanetics...cool! Maybe I can get my copy converted to DVD or buy - I'm glad you reminded me of this. Are you working out with Ms. Pinckney? I had some really amazing legs after a couple of months.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    P.S.

Congrats on earning your degree! :laugh: Sweet!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I got the DVD but I have to say all I lost was ten pounds - well, £9.99 to be exact:bigsmile: I found balletecise (sp) more enjoyable - there was one particular movement (where you kneel up and lean back very slightly) which I couldn't do at all, even kneeling on a cushion was painful (and this was at least 15 years ago). Sorry, just not for me. I'd rather do a Rosemary Conley DVD and follow the low intensity version.
  • vec2013
    Options
    Yes I am! Callan was50+ years old when these videos were made and her mom was the 73 year old lady. I was a little kid when it came out but I danced ballet beginning at 3. Callan was basing many of these exercises on her experiences as a dancer. I would love to get a Callanetics group together!
  • vec2013
    Options
    At least you tried! And 10 pounds is ten pounds! I alway found these exercise to be more about inches.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I used to do Callanetics and Pilates when I lived in Switzerland. Its pretty popular there. I loved it for stretching and relaxation.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to check this out. Thanks :)
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I do Callanetics! It is definitely a good secret! I use a DVD I bought on Amazon or Ebay of the original 80's tape by Callan herself that my mom did when I was a kid. It sure is cheesy, but that stuff works! I have never stuck with it for too long because I am just bad and inconsistent with exercise in general, but whenever I start doing it, I see results from just the first few time doing it! Highly recommended.
  • vec2013
    Options
    Please do! The dvd's are dated but effective and honestly better than most Barre classes without the huge price tag. Watch the tape though to see modification if you don't have a ballet barre.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    At least you tried! And 10 pounds is ten pounds! I alway found these exercise to be more about inches.

That's ten pounds sterling - should I have said 15 dollars? I lost no weight at all.
  • comfortcurls
    Options
    I did insanity after my second baby in 2 years and only lost 8 lbs in 90 days but still wasn't as toned as I would have liked. I did 3 sessions of Callanetics (3 hours) and I'm starting to see my old body so I am definitely a believer. I'd love to join you callanetics group.
  • Tucson
    Tucson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Calanetics and love the new DVD Evolution.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ha, I recently found my Mom's old VHS with original Callan Pinkney Callanetics! I wish I had something to play it on, I remember doing it with Mom when I was 15, it was actually quite fun!