Ladies, what's your hurry?

Options
I direct this at my fellow women, as I don't see too many guys who do this. I set my weight loss to a 1 pound a week and never looked back. As I have lost 32 pounds in about four months, I am losing faster than that. I have a lot of weight to lose and went in believing it may take me years to do it. It certainly took me years to balloon to 320lbs.

Maybe your doctors aren't as supportive as mine. Mine considers anything but an actual gain victory. When I dropped under 290, she was elated. She said I hadn't weighed this little since 2009 when I started seeing her. Her enthusiasm has helped, but it isn't even close to my main motivator. Watching my blood pressure fall into the normal range due to my hard work? Oh hell yeah.

But seriously, back to the question I presented. What's the hurry? Why are you so eager to drop all the weight as fast as possible? This is a lifestyle change and personally, when I expect to make big changes, I prefer to take my time to adjust. There is thread after thread in this forum about women starving themselves on 1200 calories or less when they have less than 20 pounds to lose. It's not worth it. This is hard work, don't make it even harder by putting yourself through hardship you don't need to.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya. I didn't worry at all about bathing suit season this year because I know there are many, many bathing suit seasons to come, and if I treat my body the right way now, I won't have to worry about getting ready for bathing suit season - I'll already be set. (:

Haha, my doctor was over the moon when he saw how much I had lost. My rate of weight loss has actually been about the same as yours. My blood pressure was lower (although it wasn't dangerously high before, it was 130/85, and it came back down to 120/80). Plus, he didn't bother checking my blood sugar even though I had been one point away from pre-diabetes at my last visit.
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back any exercise calories?
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I do agree that slow is the way to go. I also set mine for a pound a week but am easily losing more while still meeting right under my allowable calories for the day (I average about 1450 a day).

I also understand the impatience though because when that scale did not move at all, I did feel a little discouraged, but then I focused on a plan to change my THINKING habits, because our thoughts are the problem most of the time rather than food (use food to comfort the pain).
  • Pixilox
    Pixilox Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    To me, slow and steady makes losing weight and keeping it off much easier than "I need lose it all right now!".
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    we are all different, worry about yourself.
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I admit, I tried 1280 calories. MFP told me that's what I should do, and I had a messed up notion that if my old jeans fit I'd be happier (although I'm much happier now than I was when I was smaller!)

On 1280 I dropped 7lb in 3 weeks. Then put most of it back on when I stopped.

Then it clicked. I'm not 'dieting to lose this 14lb', I'm changing my lifestyle because it wasn't the best way to be.

Some of these changes are going to be forever.

I tried 1400 calories, now I'm on 1350, with a lot more walking and working out. It's not easy to change the habits of a lifetime, but I hope it will extend my lifetime if I do.

I haven't weighed in yet, this isn't about the weight, it's about a new life :-)
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm impatient! I'm impatient towards everything though.. It's something I need to work on. I'll work on it later. :p
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot like a budget.

You get really excited about planning goals and the end result- but you have to wait pay check to pay check to actual handle the money -and the time between is SO difficult to deal with- not spending- going out with friends... new pair of shoes- new make up.

All of it is very RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW- and when you first make your plan you are excited and pumped- but the real issues is patience and time- and you need both to be successful- both at budgeting and losing weight.

I view the two as pretty much the same thing- hysterical- I'm in great shape- and have a terrible time keeping a budget!!! LMAO
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hurry, thy name is vanity.
  • jm70614
    jm70614 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A lot of women who eat 1200 cals aren't "starving." I'm tracking my cals and if I don't work out I come in close to that number without any issue. It makes me think about what I eat (i.e. would I rather have a heaping salad for 200 calories for a filling snack or that scone?) so that I stay feeling full. I plan my treats well in advance which makes sure that I limit them; and if I'm truly hungry I eat. I am certainly not starving and I'm sure many others feel the same.

That being said, I still understand what what you are saying. I joined one group to track goals together for a few months. My goal was a little less than 1 pound per week, whereas others were hoping to lose 40 pounds or more in 20 weeks and I'm thinking what?!?
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I've only lost 22 lbs since the beginning of the year, so yeah, I want it now! I think statistically, that's crappy weight loss for 8 months.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sorry, if I wanted to mind my own business, I wouldn't post on a forum. ;)

I am saying something to try and make those ladies who aren't sure or feel pressured to lose all the weight right now another point of view. It's a lot of pressure and may lead to these newcomers making choices that will make it even harder for them. They may possibly hurt themselves or even end up giving up. Sharing information, alternatives and support is what this forum is for. With all the people asking about 'Is it okay if I eat this?' or posting about not losing weight at 1200 calories or other things, it is NICE for them to see people being successful without rushing things.

This was not an an attack. It was an honest question offered to get insight AND allow people to think about things. That is what I do. If I wanted to attack people, they'd know it. There'd be much more foul language.

I used the 1200 calories as an example. Since that is the LOWEST calories anyone should be eating according to the current thinking. Yes, sometimes it feels like I'm getting nowhere or it is too slow, but then I look at the big picture and go 'Wow, I've lost over thirty pounds in a few months. I can do this.' Which keeps me going. Because if I can eat more and still lose weight, why shouldn't I?
  • EGSanz225
    Options
    You know you're absolutely right. Seeing weight loss through a different goal would be much healthier in the long run. As much as I love exercising, doing a lot of it is pretty tedious (especially at 5 days a week) and I can also understand wanting faster results. It can't be helped. My calorie number is 1200 but with the foods I eat I don't feel like I'm starving though. I'm certainly going to look at my weight goal in a different light though, thank you.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It is good for morale and continues the momentum of weight loss if it happens quickly. I have been around 11 stone for 4 years and tried to lose weight slowly but just lose a few pounds then put it on again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired of being fat, lol. Simple as that. I'm curious about my blood work too, but I'm fairly confident that it will be normal now. I'm not getting it done for another 2 months either way.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nobody likes to wait. I have very little patience for things outside my own child, but I have learned to look at the little victories. Like the blood pressure going down and having ankles again. My legs are starting to look totally awesome, to the point I am shaving regularly even though I never wear short pants. Having clothes fit me better or even fit that didn't four months ago have helped too.

Perhaps because I knew I was in for a long haul and didn't even think I could lose weight at all (My mother has horrible thyroid problems, and I am often my mother's daughter), I was pleased and surprised at how much easier it was for me than I expected. It's hard and there's days I just can't exercise because my health problems just don't let me. The low sodium diet is restricting and no fun. But it's working. Slowly but surely.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Though I want it now I'm trying to do this the healthy way. I want it now because I feel like this is causing me harm in my job search.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Because we live in a society in which we have become used to instant gratification? Honestly for me the "hurry" is that there is so much cool stuff that I want to do and I want my quality of life to be 100% better, NOW. It's not so much about the numbers on the scale dropping rapidly but I am fully aware that there are certain things I must continue losing weight to be able to do.

That being said I'm in a "hurry" to lose a pound or two a week, which isn't unreasonable given my size. I've actually averaged about 10 lbs a month. I AM in it for the long haul & all but I am tired of being this size
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    It took me a long time to get to 260. I know it's going to take me a long time to lose literally one half of my previous body weight. It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of time. It'll take effort, change, perseverance and an optimistic attitude. I know there will be set-backs (I had one this week, but I'm past it, so "just keep swimming!") and weeks where I'll gain or not change, but I've lost 40 pounds this year, and that's GREAT. If I can lose another 1 pound per week on average for the rest of this year, I'll be happy.

I would love to wake up tomorrow at 130lb, but I know it won't happen. On the other hand, next summer, I'd like to be able to wear a bathing suit in public without feeling like a beached whale. More, I'd like to be able to wear a fun, sexy Halloween costume next year and not feel like I look absolutely ridiculous. This year is a wash for me. I know I won't be where I want to be, so I'm planning for next year and slowly, steadily working towards my goal.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I want to be pregnant by this time next year. I do not want to be obese and pregnant again. That's my main motivation. That means I need to lose about 70 lbs by this time next year. Which I should be able to do or at least get close to. If it takes a little longer, I'll wait longer before baby time, but I'll be 34 next spring and I don't want to be 35 and pregnant if I can help it.