always over on protien good or bad ????

Options
I am always going over on my protein is this really bad for weight loss ???

Or is MFP setting it low ??

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Most people think MFP sets it too low. If you're going to be over on something, protein's a good one to be over on. It's pretty filling for the calories.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on the fiber- but I am doing fine at staying in my calories for the day and I feel good, so I just am not worrying over the exact pieces that make up my total- I'm not eating a bunch of junk so I think it's fine. As long as your protein is not in spoons full of crisco, I think you're okay.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    it is set too low .... .8 grams of protein per lb, and .35g of fat per lb is a good place to start .....fill the rest with good complex carbs ...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories. Your macros (protein, carbs, fat) will help with body composition, energy, and satisfaction, but they shouldn't affect your weight loss (assuming no medical conditions). I agree that MFP sets their protein goal too low. Protein helps repair and retain muscle. I would consider MFP's default a minimum rather than a maximum.
  • JohnMatrix
    Options
    Protein intake according to MFP is WAY, WAY too low. If your exercising hard, you need a lot more than what they suggest. I'm over by at least 100 grams a day. General rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight if your training hard. You can be a little less/over and be fine.