Just bought myself the Polar FT40 HRM!

Options
I've looked at reviews for the FT40 and things seem super with accurate readings but I was wondering how people over this end of the internet have found the FT40 or any other Polar HRM products :)?

Replies

• judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have been using an FT40 for several months now. As far as accurate, it agrees pretty close to my elliptical as to what my HR is. I don't think I have any way of knowing if it is accurate for calorie burn. It shows way less burn for me than any other measure is offering. I just go with it and workout and eat accordingly and I have been losing weight although not fast or consistently. I can't think that if I would have continued to use the burns given from other sources that I would have lost near the weight that I have using my HRM.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have been using an FT40 for several months now. As far as accurate, it agrees pretty close to my elliptical as to what my HR is. I don't think I have any way of knowing if it is accurate for calorie burn. It shows way less burn for me than any other measure is offering. I just go with it and workout and eat accordingly and I have been losing weight although not fast or consistently. I can't think that if I would have continued to use the burns given from other sources that I would have lost near the weight that I have using my HRM.

Same for me... I love, love , love my FT40. But, the calorie burn shows considerably less on it than anything else I use.
    I'm cool with that though. It's probably more accurate than a website or machine I'm standing on.
    If it's not, I'd much rather err on the side of non glutton.
  • Pete_Mann
    Options
    I have been using my Ft7 for a couple years now. All the equipment at my gym works with it, so it makes it really helpful for interval training. It comes in consistently lower than the equipment says for calories burned, but I err on the side of caution. I also noticed that the Bike, Elliptical, and Treadmill are more concerned with the difficulty setting than the heart rate for determining calories burned, where the Polar only knows the heart rate.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I loved mine, but I just lost it :( I am pretty sure its not coming back too. I will definitely be getting another one soon. I am hooked on it! There's nothing like knowing what you're burning during a work out. It spurs me on. Without it, I feel lost and like what's the point, even though I know its still doing good to work out. You'll love it!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a little over a month ... as the others have said, it comes in lower for my elliptical and bike workouts than my machine (or Fitbit or MFP) would estimate. It is still interesting to see it's feedback about heart rate (that I'm steady in the zone for elliptical, that I never get in "the zone" on my bike ... which I do mark as leisurely). It was MUCH less than the treadmill readout.

But when I'm jogging on a track (not treadmill) it and the Fitbit were almost right on with their estimates.
    It comes in higher than my Fitbit for my 30DS workout (which does have non-step stuff in it, so that is understandable).

Overall, I've been happy with the purchase and the feedback. I do multiple workouts a day, so after initial readings, I don't bother to put it on every single time.
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    LOVE IT. Lost the one I had for a couple of years (sad face) so I bought the new one. I need it in my life! I tend to workout more or harder when I have it. Must be a psychological thing.
  • rosswillsimpson
    Options
    I have a naturally faster heart rate so I hope I don't get freaked out with my HR whilst exercising, but I'd probably mainly use it to see the calorie burn as I've heard (and probably is) more accurate than machines, fitbit and website info :)
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    me too, hoping it gets to me soon, darn slow mail service
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have an older Polar HRM. I have a faster than average heart rate and it helps me to see how hard I'm working. I don't pay attention to the calorie burn estimates of any device. I work out as much as I can, watch what I'm eating, weigh myself a few times a week and make adjustments.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Overall, I've been happy with the purchase and the feedback. I do multiple workouts a day, so after initial readings, I don't bother to put it on every single time.
    @quote

I would be leery of using it once or twice for a particular workout to get a base and then not using it. I get very different readings day to day when I use it for 30DS, Jackie Warner pyramids, and other workout vids. I am sure it depends on the day I am having - just a caution. Even your breathing can change your HR and therefore your calorie burn.
  • rosswillsimpson
    Options
    I have an older Polar HRM. I have a faster than average heart rate and it helps me to see how hard I'm working. I don't pay attention to the calorie burn estimates of any device. I work out as much as I can, watch what I'm eating, weigh myself a few times a week and make adjustments.

Yeah, I've got a faster than average HR too, so I reckon to start with I'm going to worry and become vary conscience of my bpm. Does it work will with your faster than average HR as wouldn't it give you out fat burning zones as it probably doesn't know its faster than average or? I'm not sure how it works, jus a question :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've got a faster than average HR too, so I reckon to start with I'm going to worry and become vary conscience of my bpm. Does it work will with your faster than average HR as wouldn't it give you out fat burning zones as it probably doesn't know its faster than average or? I'm not sure how it works, jus a question :)

Whenever I exercised in the prescribed fat burning zones I couldn't break a sweat. Finally, I asked a doctor if it would be OK to exercise harder and he said yes. I also finally had a stress test. My heart rate has slowed with age, but there were times when my heart rate was off the chart and I felt good.

Although these devices give us more information than ever before, it's important not to think of them as miracle machines. We still have to be aware of the primary purpose for which the tool was designed and use our judgment. Yes, be very aware of your heart rate and don't push yourself unless or until you have confirmed that you have no heart issues.