Calling all veg/vegans!! Advice/success stories needed!

Options
Hi all you awesome fellow vegetarians/vegans who are working out - need advice/ideas about how to get protein. My trainer is nagging me about it although I don't think I need as much protein as he says I do and don't see why plant protein is not good enough. I will NOT eat meat so am having problems with balancing my 1200 calories. Ideas on strategies to do this and success stories on a veg diet are appreciated!! Also, what vitamins and fatty acid supplements (vegan) do you use?

thanks! :smile:
SinnyC
Seattle, WA

Replies

• kristahlmaria
    kristahlmaria Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Plant based proteins are 100% okay. No need for animal based proteins at all. Depending n what your weight loss goals are and your lifestyle /diet protein should be what you are comfortable with. People these days usually eat to much protein (meat consumption diets for example are getting more protein than they need.

If you are following a standard vegan diet try for 15-30% protein. 10% is also fine which is a part of the 80/10/10 diet. Google can help you with more information in regards to protein also but I hope this helps a little.
  • mjmcdaniel
    mjmcdaniel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am mostly Vegan ( I eat some dairy and a small amount of fish occasionally) and I get most of my protein from nuts, lots of beans and peanut butter and since I am not super strict on dairy I will eat cottage cheese. There are TONS of good ideas and recipes out there, just google it and you will find lots of ideas!
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu and soy milk. That is where I get my protein!
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    im ovo-lacto vegi in general (eggs and dairy allowed) and i seem to get enough of what i need, but you havent mentioned if you eat fish? is it all ANIMALS then or are fish still on the menu.

at the moment i am eating fish due to the fact im breastfeeding and want to be SURE i get enough for my daughter aswell.

greek yoghurt
    quinoa
    tempah
    almonds
    egg
    beans
    soy
    milk
    cheese

Cottage cheese (14 g per ½-cup / 4 oz. serving)
    Dried spirulina seaweed (8.6 g per 1 cup serving)
    Bagels (7.2 g per small bagel, 3" diameter)
    Oatmeal (6 g per 1 cup cooked)
    Bulgur (6 g per 1 cup cooked)
    Brown rice (5 g per 1 cup cooked)
    Spinach (5 g per 1 cup cooked)
    Baked potatoes (4.5 g per medium potato, skin included)
    Peas (4.5 g per ½ cup serving)
    Avocados (4 g per avocado)
    Broccoli (4 g per 1 cup cooked)